Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A new philosophy for UK RTR? An interview with Jason Shron of Rapido Trains Inc.

Andy Y

North American modellers will, I'm sure, be aware of Rapido Trains Inc and the boss, Jason Shron, but this is a time for UK modellers to take note as Rapido have declared they're looking at the UK market. Jason's travelling the UK at the moment and took time during a meet and greet session a Crewe Heritage Centre today to talk to me about Rapido and their approach to being a model railway manufacturer. Jason's somewhat of an anglophile as you'll be able to tell from this video of the Toronto (sorry, City of Vaughan, something to do with the neighbour's mayor dragging the reputation down) based genius.

Firstly I genuinely apologise for leaving the camera on AF as we talked and the resulting focus hunting and motor whirring! It's worth bearing with that though as Jason has many interesting things to say and some provocative thinking!

Jason's quest for detail is not just fun to see, it delivers an outstanding product.

We could do with some of this infectious enthusiasm to liven up the UK market.

No stone goes unturned with in-house packaging testing:

Practical demonstrations today showed not just the detail but exemplary running qualities and excellent sound installs on the products.

gmd1_noodle1.jpg

Do visit Rapido Trains website for a further look around! http://www.rapidotrains.com/

Although the first UK product won't be announced until 2014 with probable late 2015 delivery I know I'll be placing an order; whatever it may be - we need more of this!

Thanks to Jason and Dan Garcia for their time today and to Terry Wynne for hosting the event.

I haven't had a chance to listen to your videos but Rapido Trains' products look terrific (I don't own any) and Jason's blog (the Rapido Trains newsletter) is a great place to get an insider's perspective on how to work with Chinese manufacturing to make highly detailed plastic RTR model railway products that, while more expensive than the historical British expectation on price point, are consistent with the best of other North American models and are still affordable and represent real value for money.

He focuses on non-mainstream models for North America (specifically the Canadian prototypes) and can deliver quality products profitably plus his web-based communications with customers are excellent.

The 'teaser' page on their visit today to the Crewe Heritage Center is here.

A great Rapido Trains product is their wired telegraph poles.

We could do with some of this infectious enthusiasm to liven up the UK market.

I'd call it passion. And it is very evident.

• RMweb Gold

Rapido's products are fantastic. They will be a welcome addition to the British market. I just hope the chorus of boos amongst those who clench their wallets tightly and yearn for the days of buying triang for 2 bob that Rapido's premium stance will inevitably invite doesn't deter them from releasing their models.

• RMweb Premium

Having spent a few hours with Andy Y a couple of days ago, I know he was looking forward to this meeting. I'm sure Andy wasn't disappointed.

I sincerely hope that Jason and his UK venture lives up to his obvious enthusiasm and passion for the hobby.

It was quite unusual to see a North American (Canadian) talking knowledgeably about 00 and 1:76 and simply for that, JS has my attention.

Star quote for me was the referral to "if you want 15" curves, then that's reserved for trams and trollies, go visit Crich...."

Somehow, I can see a Rapido UK model ending up in my collection, even if it doesn't fall into my favoured modelling time period.

Cheers,

Mick

Wow. This could really be interesting and provide a massive (and very welcome) shake-up to the UK market. For a start I'm thinking of all the D & E locos that are well overdue an update.

Although Bachmann have produced a very nice class 85 and to a somewhat lesser extent Heljan with the 86 the UK AC loco market could be an open goal for someone like this, not to mention the AC multiple units.

On the diesel front, as every mainline class has been covered, I wonder which class(es) will be replicated first? And how that will then affect the sales of the currently available models.

One thing that sounds certain is that for the big UK outline manufactures the clock is now ticking- time to pull you collective fingers out?

(Edited for typo.)

Class 87, 90, 91. Class 156. And please please please a class 303. 

I think it's amazing no one has done an updated 156 the old Lima moulding is 25 years old and the underframe is rubbish, so if rapido like detailed underframe s it would be great. Think how many liverys they have carried. 

It is great to have a new manufacturer in the UK market looking at the photos on their website wow just wow.

• RMweb Premium

Love the infectious enthusiasm. I think as well there's a couple of differentiators here. Firstly he has his own workshop in china, so is more in control. Clearly he made the correct decision there! The other one is , he is targeting the "tier A" of the model market , so as he points out its made to order. That's fine if you have the money or know in advance what models you are going to need ,but it's not any use if in a few years time you decide you want to model the West Coat Mainline but that the model you want was out made to order three years ago. So a little concerned at that point , but with batch processing it appears we are heading that way anyway.

For me I'm not so into the plumbing , as he put it, and really don't see the point of modelling the underside to that level of detail when the train is whiz zing by and you really can't see it, but I understand his view and at the end of the day it will come down to value for Money. Not the most inexpensive but are you content or thrilled even at the model at the price you paid. There is definitely a market in uk for that. Not sure how big it is though. And as Andy pointed out its interesting that others are making down to a price point. While I think Hornby have got quite a lot wrong , I think they have established that there is a ceiling in price beyond which demand drops severely.

Interesting times.

• RMweb Premium

As so often my last post wondered off in another direction!

Just like to say thanks to Andy for giving us this interview. It's a rarely seen behind the scenes view of the model railway industry. The type of article I'd like to see more of but other than the occasional interview with figures you never see in print. Fascinating stuff on the "implosion"of Sanda Kan and what happened in the industry, gives real insight to what's going on. More like this please!

Love the infectious enthusiasm. I think as well there's a couple of differentiators here. Firstly he has his own workshop in china, so is more in control. Clearly he made the correct decision there! The other one is , he is targeting the "tier A" of the model market , so as he points out its made to order. That's fine if you have the money or know in advance what models you are going to need ,but it's not any use if in a few years time you decide you want to model the West Coat Mainline but that the model you want was out made to order three years ago. So a little concerned at that point , but with batch processing it appears we are heading that way anyway.

For me I'm not so into the plumbing , as he put it, and really don't see the point of modelling the underside to that level of detail when the train is whiz zing by and you really can't see it, but I understand his view and at the end of the day it will come down to value for Money. Not the most inexpensive but are you content or thrilled even at the model at the price you paid. There is definitely a market in uk for that. Not sure how big it is though. And as Andy pointed out its interesting that others are making down to a price point. While I think Hornby have got quite a lot wrong , I think they have established that there is a ceiling in price beyond which demand drops severely.

Interesting times.

To be honest, the days of being able to flick through a catalogue at home, then walk into your local model shop and buy what you want passed years ago. You either have to pre-order as smaller shops in particular aren't likely to carry much stock, or pay a premium at a later date if you can even find what you want or can wait for a re-run.

As for the level of detail- careful what you wish for. If a manufacturer is looking to build something down to a price then it's the cost consideration that comes before how visible it is, so lots of smaller stuff like roof vents and door grabs go first, instead of what might just be one separately moulded pipe run (although the APT isn't exactly brimming with either). We've had enough cheap and cheerful models such as the "design clever" range and the Hachette Mk1's, so it'd be good to see Rapido re-address the market.

The only thing that bothers me is there are still plenty of Can/US models that Rapido would make a success out of, especially those with trolley poles that can go round a 15" radius curve...

If it's anything that would work on my layout, he's got a sale!

Given Rapido's history with coaching stiock, could he be the person to deliver the coaching stock we've always wanted but the usual UK subjects have not (yet?) provided.

iD

His enthusiasm (and erudition) is infectious. I think the hobby in the UK could do with more of such characters

... targeting the "tier A" of the model market , so as he points out its made to order. That's fine if you have the money or know in advance what models you are going to need ,but it's not any use if in a few years time you decide you want to model the West Coat Mainline, but that the model you want was made to order three years ago...

It is always welcome to see a plan to 'raise the bar'. Tricky bit is identifying the subject to do it with. Got to find the item which will procure the pre-orders in the required minimum volume, and the Blue Pullman has been taken. But there's that high speed train set that has been running for over 40 years all over the UK, and Hornby are showing no signs whatsoever of producing that to decent standard. Now that is an open goal.

... For a start I'm thinking of all the D & E locos that are well overdue an update...On the diesel front, as every mainline class has been covered, I wonder which class(es) will be replicated first? And how that will then affect the sales of the currently available models...

Surely this experiment has been done? Classes 08, 47, 52. On each of these the first entrant with a decent drive system has had a competitor introduction raising the bar in certain respects.  None of the later introductions has achieved a knock-out, the earlier model (probably already having paid off the tooling investment) co-exists as a cheaper alternative. And in the case of a 'made to order batch' competitor, the existing model's prospects are barely dented: the new product batch sells out, and the pre-existing is left holding the field for so long as there is continuing demand.

• RMweb Premium

Can we read anything into the fact he was sitting on an APT and pointedly referred to Pendolinos as they passed? He also seems to be more into modern image than historical steam.   Maybe some dmus could be a possibilty. Might yet get a Swindon 126 (Ayrshire units) or a 303 !

I understand the need for detail on areas that can be seen , still not sure about non visible underside plumbing or wash hand basins.

The froth created over the Hatchette Mk1s show that there are those that are prepared to compromise.   Still his business model facilitates production of low volume high quality items. If there is not enough demand he simply wont make it, if there is he will. Its a good business model and completely understandable, particularly suited to "Tier A"  but I really hope the general model railway market doesnt go this way.  If it does I can see it be severely curtailed in size. 

• RMweb Premium

Do I detect a hint of wish-listery already. I'm intrigued by the 'tier A' target market but I'd be wary of 298s assessment that we've had enough of the cheap and cheerful products. Looking at the number of posts generated by one blisteringly cheap Mk1 carriage, I'd say that there was a considerable appetite out there for more in the same vein.

The only thing that bothers me is there are still plenty of Can/US models that Rapido would make a success out of, especially those with trolley poles that can go round a 15" radius curve...

Yes, I agree but I suspect that Jason chooses subjects that he is personally passionate about - like the TurboTrain and the Canadian - as his first selection criterion before examining the wider market questions.

My guess is that his first foray into the UK market will be something that he has a similarly personal interest in.

Clearly Jason sees an opportunity in the UK. Perhaps it will be an area he sees as being poorly served by the major manufacturers with a highly detailed model, and one that he has some personal familiarity with while he lived in the UK?

Clearly Jason sees an opportunity in the UK. Perhaps it will be an area he sees as being poorly served by the major manufacturers with a highly detailed model, and one that he has some personal familiarity with while he lived in the UK?

Only if the price point is below 100 quid, probably. Excuse me for being cynical!!!!

You would think that UK modellers would be happy for diesels with the correct shape even when the "train is whizzing by and you can't see it" (even for shunters).

I don't see much sign of froth. I hope that I'm proved wrong.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Can we read anything into the fact he was sitting on an APT and pointedly referred to Pendolinos as they passed? He also seems to be more into modern image than historical steam.  

I can't see an APT-P generating enough sales as it's another OLE unit.

The APT-E however, would be a different proposition............ (am I wishlisting?) I wonder how you'd do a sound chip for that?

Cheers,

Mick

Archived