Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What great photo's of Toton, one of the major marshalling yards that was on BR. That first photo' shows a typical cut of wagons descending into the yard. And indeed little in the way of weeds!

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

D832 Onslaught is still with us as well as D7018.

I am a little puzzled about the two views of Royal Albert Box dated Aug 60.  The one with the green Warship shows GWR single line token pick-up and set-down posts and no Warning signal under the Saltash fixed distant.  Compare that with the Box brownie photo and the pick-up and set-down posts are gone and the Warning Signal has appeared.  A Rule 55 exeption plate has appeared as well.  So I would suggest that they were not taken at the same time, so were probably not the same month.

It is quite possible that the Brownie photos were taken at a different time, but I only remember going to the Royal Albert Bridge once, I thought it was with Dad, who took the colour photo.  I have to admit I didn't look at the Brownie photos too closely when I found them yesterday.  It might be that the Brownie photos were taken the following year when I was in the area with my grandparents, but they were not the least bit interested in railways, so how I got there to take the photos will remain a mystery.

Fortunately all the colour photos can be dated to at least the nearest month as Dad always kept detailed notes, and I started to once I had a decent camera, from 1965 on, taking colour from 1969.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good  selection of photo's of Morpeth tonight. In C5649, of a 47 on an Edinburgh to Carlisle service, in April, 1989, there are, in addition to the Mk1 TPO, a Mk1 BG and CK, then a Mk2 TSO, and a further two Mk1 CK's - quite a number of CK's in one fairly short train.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Very photogenic views of Pilmoor. I must add myself to the likes about the double headed class 40 train - a pretty rare sight. That last photo' from 1983 has a fairly filthy looking class 47!  J1116 is a classic photo' of a Deltic hauled train, and is a further train to have three Mk1 CK's, (there was that photo' from yesterday which had three Mk1 CK's in its' formation).

All the best,

Market65.

The Deltic in J1215 is actually D9014 which was the last to remain in green until late 69.   D9004 emerged from Doncaster works in blue on 18th January 1968. 

J1116 nicely illustrates the horns mounted in the nose cone - Pinza was the only one so fitted and the horns were relocated to the top of the bonnets when it emerged in blue in October 67..

Thank you for more excellent pictures from the 1960s.

edited to add information about D9007.

Edited by dandg

• RMweb Gold

The Deltic in J1215 is actually D9014 which was the last to remain in green until late 69.   D9004 emerged from Doncaster works in blue on 18th January 1968. 

J1116 nicely illustrates the horns mounted in the nose cone - Pinza was the only one so fitted and the horns were relocated to the top of the bonnets when it emerged in blue in October 67..

Thank you for more excellent pictures from the 1960s.

edited to add information about D9007.

Many thanks for the identification of the loco - when I looked at it this evening I was fairly sure Dad's notes were wrong, but I wasn't sure enough to change it!..

David

Edit - Has anyone else noticed how much the trees on the left have grown in the last photo in 1983 compared to 1968?  I've only just realised how quickly birch trees can grow.

David   

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

A few more from the early days on the Keighley and Worth Valley this afternoon.

Dad and I sometimes used to drive to look at the line for a day out from Nottingham when I was visiting my parents.  Sometimes it was sunny, but that part of Yorkshire is not renowned for good weather.

The engines are still in KWVLR liveries.

post-5613-0-26558600-1417967302_thumb.jpg

Keighley No63 Sept 69 J1980

post-5613-0-36430900-1417967297_thumb.jpg

Keighley LMS Class 5 5212 propelling coaches to loop Sept 70 J2333

post-5613-0-18350000-1417967306_thumb.jpg

Ebor Lane 41241 Keighley to Oxenhope July 68 J1366

post-5613-0-22079300-1417967310_thumb.jpg

Haworth 41241 Oxenhope to Keighley July 68 J1350

post-5613-0-34616600-1417967314_thumb.jpg

Haworth English Electric D0226 Aug 66 J604

post-5613-0-25432600-1417967318_thumb.jpg

Oxenhope USA 72 taking water April 69 J1636

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Interesting photo's of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, and also of Lancaster. On the K&WVR, I think that it was preserved lines like that which helped to save so much carriage stock from complete extinction. Thinking of carriages, I think that the same carriage is seen in photo's J2333 and J1350 -  it has the same guards door layout. The shunter seen in J604, D0226 has me wondering why the railway gave it a red 'V' on the front - was it a take on the 'speed whiskers' on BR green DMU's I wonder?

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. Interesting photo's of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, and also of Lancaster. On the K&WVR, I think that it was preserved lines like that which helped to save so much carriage stock from complete extinction. Thinking of carriages, I think that the same carriage is seen in photo's J2333 and J1350 -  it has the same guards door layout. The shunter seen in J604, D0226 has me wondering why the railway gave it a red 'V' on the front - was it a take on the 'speed whiskers' on BR green DMU's I wonder?

All the best,

Market65.

Hi Market

Both D0226 and D0227 were painted black with an orange band forming a V at the front when in service at Stratford. It was English Electric's own livery.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

All the best,

Market65.

The coach will be the same one, it is one of the ex Metropolitan Railway Dreadnought stock, this one is a 7 compartment brake 3rd No. 427, built in 1910.  The 3 Dreadnoughts were originally preserved for use on the Westerham Valley Railway, but when that didn't work out they moved to the Keighley and Worth Valley, they are now owned by the Vintage Carriages Trust.

In 1968 they were painted in blue and primrose for the reopening of the line, fairly soon after the blue was repainted into "crimson" (for want of another word).  I don't have a date for that.  The three Dreadnought coaches are now preserved in London Transport brown.

Colour photos of them in these two early "preserved" liveries are not too common, there seem to be very few on the web.

D0226 carried the orange/red (sources differ) side stripe and V stripes at the end from new.  When built by English Electric in 1956 it was painted black with the stripes.  It was one of two locos, D0226 was a diesel electric, D0227 (later scrapped) was a diesel hydraulic.  They were not a great success as they were too powerful for most shunting work and not powerful enough for main line duties.

The original number was D226, it was renumbered when the English Electric Type 4s (Class 40) were built.

Hope this is helpful.

David

Three lots of southern vans in two days, and nowhere near the Southern! They're taking over I tell you, run for the hills :jester:  

There will be more to come in due course, they turn up everywhere.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Thank you for your answer to my query about the carriage, which confirms my thoughts about it, and the EE diesel shunter and the red 'V', It is a very interesting story indeed about the shunter.

All the best,

Market65.