Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

There is nothing wrong with photos from the 80s railsquid. They are now just a memory for everyone and are just as fascinating for livery variations as the green/blue transition era.

You upload away. I, for one, will be looking.

Edited by jonny777

J4180 - how many hoppers? I make it 35 by the bridge. I thought it was usually only 30 behind a Cl.47 and 36 for a Cl.56. I realise they are empties.

I think Didcot workings were as many as 42 hoppers, though I'm not sure if that was behind 47s as well as 56s. This might have been a working of a Didcot train that had been 'staged' at Washwood Heath.

• RMweb Premium

Slightly OT here but..........

a good few years ago, probably late 70s/early 80s on a shed bash coach tour from London, as we approached Thornaby and were passing under a railway line, a bog cart passed and lo, a bloke was thrown (?) out of the train and rolled down the embankment! Think it might have been footy hooligans but can't confirm that. Smart area (not).

Thornaby was a great shed in those days. I always thought what a huge waste of money the 1958 Roundhouse had been......

P

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Very interesting photo's of Grangetown and Lackenby tonight. Terrific detail shots of infrastructure as well as the trains, just look at the pipe-work in the last two photo's. Then there are all those wagons with the steel coils in the background sidings. And always great to see class 37's.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Looking back at that 3 car DMU, it looks to me like it's a hybrid with a BRCW trailer (common enough at Etches Park).

Hi 50A55B

It is a BRCW trailer, 3 1/2 windows in the centre saloon, where a Cravens would have only 3. And the BRCW style vents on the roof help indentify it. Lucky Mr Hornby has already made this coach, so this combination can be made.

I was too busy looking at the S&T work, the nearest telegraph pole is a terminating one and the wires are then carried to the trackside where they run in the raised trunking that was a feature of the linesides in the 50s, 60s, 70s and some places the 80s. The LMS style lineside cabinets also caught my eye.

There is nothing wrong with photos from the 80s railsquid. They are now just a memory for everyone and are just as fascinating for livery variations as the green/blue transition era.

You upload away. I, for one, will be looking.

Thanks. Certainly nothing wrong with photos from that era, just I don't have many at all and most of those are of fairly lousy quality and exist as prints only. Wish I'd taken more when I had the chance, but I was earning my own pocket money. But I've been planning to scan them and upload as they might be of interest to someone. Luckily I was diligent enough to write the date and some details on the back of most.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

47's had 36 on for Didcot P.Stn but 56/58/60 had 45. I think I am right in saying Didcot was the only P.Stn to have rakes of 45 HAA's?

Agree Brian - 45 was definitely the 'standard' length HAA size wagons train for Didcot in the later but I have a suspicion they might have been used at that length elsewhere as some folk in Trainload Coal used to refer to them as their 'standard length train' implying the sets were interchangeable between flows.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. Certainly nothing wrong with photos from that era, just I don't have many at all and most of those are of fairly lousy quality and exist as prints only. Wish I'd taken more when I had the chance, but I was earning my own pocket money. But I've been planning to scan them and upload as they might be of interest to someone. Luckily I was diligent enough to write the date and some details on the back of most.

ditto for me too - i only have some instamatic pics from the mid-80s, must get them scanned in sometime!

thing is, even if they're 'boring' snaps, chances are someone somewhere will notice a detail that answers a question they have about a particular place/loco at a particular period in time.

The amount of times on RmWeb someone says 'if only I could find a pic of X on a certain date' - so if you have photos where you know the date is correct, that may be very useful as a reference source in its own right!

Even from Dave's excellent thread here (and others) much has been spotted in the background of pics, away from the main subject, which can answer a question or indeed start a whole new argument! :)

The things I saw in the 1970's and early 80's spotting, wish I had a camera then, like seeing a double header 25 hamming through Southall on an FA cup final day special, going round OOC on a Sunday morning and seeing it packed out with loco's.Again Dave stunning set of photo's ,never miss this thread ,well done sir :acute:

I miss it so much   :cry: but I am glad I did get to see it all, even when I got into trouble bunking off school to see the last Deltaic leave KX, it was worth it

Darren

Edited by darren01
  • Like 1

Agree Brian - 45 was definitely the 'standard' length HAA size wagons train for Didcot in the later but I have a suspicion they might have been used at that length elsewhere as some folk in Trainload Coal used to refer to them as their 'standard length train' implying the sets were interchangeable between flows.

The Liverpool Docks - Fiddlers Ferry flow was also booked for 45 HAA

I think Didcot workings were as many as 42 hoppers, though I'm not sure if that was behind 47s as well as 56s. This might have been a working of a Didcot train that had been 'staged' at Washwood Heath.

I think I may have got my numbers mixed up with Westbury stone workings with PGAs. 

I think I may have got my numbers mixed up with Westbury stone workings with PGAs. 

I don't think you have - those numbers (47s + 30 and 56s + 36) sound familiar albeit not for the Didcot flows.  My memory is not wholly reliable but I have a feeling they come from when the first Tinsley based 56s went into service on the short Yorkshire MGR circuits operating from Knottingley

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Liking the photo's of the North Britain rail-tour from May, 1987. There are indeed a good selection of destinations on the unit, and as only a 2-car 101, it must have been quite full! I like the road-works sign on the front of the 08 in that first photo'. :)

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting headcodes on the dmu, varying from Barton on Humber, through Matlock to Rowntree Halt.

Hi, Dave. Liking the photo's of the North Britain rail-tour from May, 1987. There are indeed a good selection of destinations on the unit, and as only a 2-car 101, it must have been quite full! I like the road-works sign on the front of the 08 in that first photo'. :)

All the best,

Market65.

The tour participants and the crew were enjoying themselves!

I think the tour was a sell out, so all seats were occupied, at least in theory.  In practice much time was spent taking photos out of windows, especially at locations where we couldn't detrain - such as Ferryhill on another part of the day's trip.

David

• RMweb Premium

Etherley Tip. Good grief, I can remember spending huge amounts of time getting to there (and back/on to wherever) to see a single shunter (was it ever an 03/4?) that was supposed to be there (TOPS Report said it should be!!!!); that was again on those Shed Bash trips that now seem so long ago.

Thanks Dave (again) for nostalgic times......

P

• Like 1

I really enjoyed those DMU trips that the late Chris Wolstenholmes used to organise for the NERA, the one round the Blyth & Tyne was also called the North Briton if I remember correctly. Chris actually called in the shop at Hexham just a couple of months before his untimely passing; he was photographing the signalling I think. I'm not in your pictures Dave, we were probably standing side by side for most of the photography. Its got me thinking I must have more photos somewhere to bung on Flickr!

Ernie

• RMweb Premium

Etherley Tip. Good grief, I can remember spending huge amounts of time getting to there (and back/on to wherever) to see a single shunter (was it ever an 03/4?) that was supposed to be there (TOPS Report said it should be!!!!); that was again on those Shed Bash trips that now seem so long ago.

Thanks Dave (again) for nostalgic times......

P

Yes Phil it was an 03 when I visited there, just pre-tops I reckon, or just about when they began re-numbering.  We had cycled from South Shields to Hamsterley Forest to camp, and on one day out ended up at Etherley Tip.  Crikey, it seems like another life ago.

edit - sorry for the off topic diversion.

Etherley Tip was one of those places that were on fire underground due to the pressure of waste, it was a surreal place.  wonder if it's still burning?

Edited by New Haven Neil