Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I was on a train going south somewhere near Watford, sometime in about 1986/7, and saw those mk3's in DSB livery going presumably to Harwich for delivery.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

In the early 90s I sometime went to and from Europe from North Shields on a DFDS ferry to Esbjerg in Denmark.  Sometimes I stayed a night there and always made sure I photographed a few Danish trains.  Sometimes ex UK coaches appeared.

EsbjergDSBsleepingcars25thJuly92C17005.jpg.11ea939d8641a5b5a50f5aac06d4c167.jpg

Esbjerg DSB sleeping cars 25th July 92 C17005

David

And not any old sleeping cars, a Mk3 sleeping car

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That is a great set of photo’s of Esbjerg, in Denmark, from 1992 and 1993. The first photo’ of Class MY, 1132, on the 25th July, 1992, is a superb portrait shot of the classic locomotive. 

The whole plate photo’ of class A1, 60134, on a down express train, The Flying Scotsman, in May, 1950, at Grantham North is real gem. Thank you for posting it.

The photo’s of the Blyth and Tyne, at Marchey’s House, West Sleekburn Junction, and North Bylth, are an excellent selection. I particularly like C5252, at North Blyth Alcan, with class 37, 37048, light engine, in December, 1980. The shunters pole will be an excellent extra detail to add to one the Accurascale models. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

Another black and white from one of Dad's whole 8"x6" prints of an A1 on the down Flying Scotsman at Garntham North in May 1950.

img400.jpg.ada86350bc34f1a4ecc156030d797c60.jpg

David

It is sobering to note the limited shutter speed and film speed your father was working with - to such good effect! In an era of autofocus, auto-exposure, sensors that produce excellent results at 6400 ISO, and mirrorless cameras that record at up to 120 frames per second, we do have it so easy!

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2024 at 15:45, DaveF said:

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 45 St Pancras to Nottingham June 76 J5300

The loco is 45144 ROYAL SIGNALS 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2024 at 15:45, DaveF said:

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 45/1 45xxx St Pancras to Nottingham April 78 J5991  Might be 45104

Definitely 45104. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Those 108s looking very smart in their new white/blue livery. This started in 1975 so these units must have only recently had the livery applied (or had been repainted already), as it became very dirty very quickly. 

An interesting detail in J5307 is the miniature headcode display in the second-man's windscreen, I'd never seen this before.

Details of the refurbishment of the 108s at Railcar.co.uk:

https://railcar.co.uk/type/class-108/refurbishment

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David.  That is a fascinating set of photo’s at Crich, of some  trams in 1974, 1989 and 1983. C4450, is a superb and well composed photo’ of Glasgow tram, 1282, in April, 1979, 

The photo’s from Yorkshire, at Kirkstall and Horsforth, with your Dad's photo’s from June, 1976, are an excellent selection. The first photo’ of a class 108, on a Morecambe to Leeds service in June, 1976, is an excellent composition, and it can be seen that the train is formed of the 108, of which the DMBS is refurbished, and the unit coupled up to it is a three car set, a class 110 DMBC, a class 104 TSL, and a class 101 DMCL.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The leading Class 108 in J5305 from yesterday is interesting. Both vehicles look ex-works but one has apparently been refurbished (white/blue) and the other (plain blue) not.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

I like the Police Hillman Imp in J3849.

Hope theirs was more reliable than the one my Father owned!

I'll have you know that in 1966 four of us went camping in a 1964 Hillman Imp - from Surrey to Dubrovnik!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I'll have you know that in 1966 four of us went camping in a 1964 Hillman Imp - from Surrey to Dubrovnik!

You haven't said "Did it make it back"? 😁

My dad had one and he was forever in the car's engine bay, when it did run we had quite a few great trips out in it..

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, jcarta said:

You haven't said "Did it make it back"? 😁

We did, but 4-up w camping equipment meant it was overloaded. 55 mph was the max, even on autobahnen, as it became unstable from there. It was awful on Belgian pavé And the clutch played up - dealers visited - but I think one driver was hamfooted with it. When the owner took over it seemed fine again. The brief skirmish with a trolleybus in Trieste - that driver again - didn't result in more than a scrape, fortunately. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s a great set of photo’s of places in Scotland beginning with "G". The first photo’ at Glen Douglas, with 37037, on a Glasgow QS to Oban service, on the 11th May, 1985, is a most atmospheric photo’ and an excellent portrait of the 37. 

The whole plate photo’ by your Dad, of Rebuilt Royal Scot, 4117, Welsh Guardsman, on the down Lakes Express at Rugby, in July, 1950, is an excellent and well composed photo’. 

The photo’s at Little Mill, a level crossing on the ECML in Northumberland, in 1974 and 1983, are a superb selection. J3708, of a centre headcode Class 40, on a down freight train, in May, 1974, is a splendid three quarter portrait shot of the classic locomotive.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1