DERBY The Roundhouse, 9 & 10 May 2015

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

Mickleover Model Railway Group Presents

Derby Model Railway Exhibition

9th & 10th May 2015

Saturday 10.30am - 5.30pm

Sunday 10.00am - 4.30pm

Admission £7 (accompanied children free)

This year at our amazing new venue - THE ROUNDHOUSE

The Roundhouse is now part of Derby College but started life in 1839 as part of the North Midland Railway's Derby workshops, later becoming well known as part of Derby Loco Works before eventual closure and dereliction. A Grade 2* listed building, The Roundhouse has now been fully restored as can be seen from the photo below

post-18-0-06990300-1422825151_thumb.jpg

This is a move that has been forced on us by a combination of circumstances that have unfolded over the past 18 months. As many of you know, for many years we held our show at one of the premier city centre locations, The Assembly Rooms in the heart of the City. However with each change of manager we had to renegotiate the costs, with the final straw being a decision that as we were not paying a ‘commercial rate’ they wanted to increase the costs by around 10% every year until we met their expectations.

We realised that this was unsustainable and looked at several alternatives, settling on Moorways Sports Centre at a much reduced cost. This worked well but more recently the City Council decided to build a multi purpose sports and events area (more commonly known locally as ‘The Velodrome’). It was obvious that this signalled the end of Moorways as they refused to accept our booking for 2015. We had considered a move back to the Assembly Rooms but a serious fire there last year destroyed the plant room and so there is no electricity, water supply, heating or air conditioning – all services have been destroyed and it remains closed with no decision about its future.

As a result we are very pleased to be able to announce that the 2015 show will go ahead at The Roundhouse which is part of Derby College and has been subjected to a multi million pound restoration to form the perfect exhibition venue as can be seen above. Their website gives a lot more information about the history of the building, and the restoration which led to the reopening at the end of 2009. Of course for those travelling by train, it is right next to Derby Station !

http://roundhouse-events.co.uk/(have a look at the 360 virtual tour)

Further information will be sent nearer to the show date – look out for adverts with the details in magazines and updates here on RMweb.

Supported By PECO

EDIT

BRITISH OUTLINE LAYOUTS NOW LISTED IN #40

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95551-derby-the-roundhouse-9-10-may-2015/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1786352

AMERICAN AND CONTINENTAL LAYOUTS NOW LISTED IN #41

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95551-derby-the-roundhouse-9-10-may-2015/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1788658

TRADE NOW LISTED IN #42

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95551-derby-the-roundhouse-9-10-may-2015/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1802058

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Mike but the Roundhouse was actually built by the North Midland railway. The Midland railway wasn't formed until 1844

Thanks Richard - original posting now corrected. The Roundhouse have it correct on their history page but I got my information from the flyer that Alex prepared - as we have just had 10,000 printed I guess it's too late to do anything about that !

The Roundhouse at Derby is the world's first and oldest surviving railway roundhouse. It was originally developed in 1839 by four rival rail companies, including North Midland Railway (NMR) for whom George Stephenson and his son Robert were engineers.

Robert was responsible for the engineering of the NMR buildings on the site, including the world's first railway roundhouse, built for the princely sum of £62,000.

• RMweb Premium

Well done for a superb photo intro .Great shot! Immediately grabs the attention .A venue which could host a showcase event for many years.Excellent if arriving by rail.....which is the sensible way as parking in Derby can be problematic.

Thanks Ian - that's an official publicity shot the College let us use. Have you seen their website where they have a 360 view shot from the centre - most impressive.

Regarding parking, there are a number of spaces on site and The Roundhouse has the use of the car parks of some of the nearby businesses as they are not in use over the weekend. We are waiting for the details to be finalised but in the past they have arranged for their own security staff and students to control parking with a £1 charge to cover their costs. Further details will be advised nearer the time although as you say, travelling by train is the best option . . . .

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the reminders about the Beer Fest - now it's been mentioned, I have found the details for those who want to visit Derby before our show

The National Winter Fest is Weds 11th to Sat 14th February

http://nwaf.org.uk/

The Summer Fest was usually held in the Assembly Rooms but following the fire last year it was relocated to a large marquee in the market Place - I can't see a confirmed date yet but it will be in July

http://www.derbycamra.org.uk/summer-beer-festival/

Ian - thanks for the info about the local travel concessions - I'll pass that on to Alex

• RMweb Premium

A few more shots

Another area the exhibition will be in (minus the Drapes)

post-7289-0-45956400-1423238340.jpg

On the wall in the entrance is a painting of times past.

post-7289-0-36540700-1423238382.jpg

More to follow..................................... including another ghostly reminder of the past!!!!

Edit for spelling

• RMweb Premium

Couple of great photos there Steve - thanks for sharing those with us.

The area with the drapes is the College Library which is designed to have the central area available for exhibitions and if we manage to cover our costs then there is another room beyond there that could also be used for more exhibition space

post-18-0-35753600-1423295248_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the reminders about the Beer Fest - now it's been mentioned, I have found the details for those who want to visit Derby before our show

The National Winter Fest is Weds 11th to Sat 14th February

http://nwaf.org.uk/

Will be giving that a try on thursday!

I will be there on Thursday too.

Thank you both for volunteering to visit the Beer Festival - please feedback any comments about the venue - if they have good ideas we want to copy them but if there are issues we want to learn from their mistakes.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Thank you both for volunteering to visit the Beer Festival - please feedback any comments about the venue - if they have good ideas we want to copy them but if there are issues we want to learn from their mistakes.

Thanks

As I will be arriving about 7.30 I'd better get my feedback in by 8 o clock then, even some women look good with beer goggles on!

Mike.

I will be there on Thursday too.

Look for the DEFine crew, probably roped together so as not to lose any combatants.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

Last year's winter ale festival in the Roundhouse was excellent, though memories of the detail are a little hazy......

Shall have to make a return reconnaissance trip later this week...

Andy - I should have known you would be there - at least it's not far to the station to get you home again.

Remember that it's reports about the venue we want - not the quality or quantity of beer consumed.

Hope you all enjoy your night out and don't suffer too much the next morning.

• RMweb Premium

A few more shots

Another area the exhibition will be in (minus the Drapes)

attachicon.gifIMG_5050.jpg

If you kept the drapes and put your own club's "Farkham" layout there, it would blend into the background..........................

Cheers,

Mick

Archived