Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

My flannel jacket arrived in a packet this morning and agree photoes don,t do them justice. A stunning model.

Runs like a dream, the flywheel carrying her forwards a couple of inches when the power is cut from slow to stop - this is before running in!

Two early surprises, the pre fitted brake rodding and the return of an actual sliding roof vent:

post-15098-0-79152800-1489672132_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-29672600-1489672156_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-23256700-1489672179_thumb.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 6

Not sure why you are surprised, the nameplates on Hornby's rebuilt Bulleids have always been pretty good.

I know, got a few W/C's both are stunning. Was just reading many of the old post about the plates on here in the past. 

• RMweb Gold

Dear Hornby,

Can we have a Modified Merchant Navy to match the Air-smoothed one now please?

Absolutely stunning and it's the attention to the smallest that have taken this Merchant Navy to another level.

post-7000-0-06619600-1489677803_thumb.jpg

Having giving Channel Packet a test run, I'm sorely tempted to assemble the legend that is the 'Planet Killer" and see if she can haul it.

post-7000-0-11005900-1489677818_thumb.jpg

With her arrival, that's 20 out of the 30 of the class I've owned (or still own)

post-7000-0-55807300-1489677787_thumb.jpg

The coupling rods are exquisite, they need to be made a spare..

• Like 7

Wow the coupling rods actually look like they are forged metal, rather than stamped from sheet of brass. They have even got a reprasentation of the corks on top of the oil boxes!!! That must be a first in RTR?

I know there have been some great models from Hornby in the post Sanda Kan era (K1, S15, Radial...) BUT the MN does raise the bar, in the same way that the rebuilt version did back in 2000. Things have come full circle.

Not quite sure how I can justify one - if they do GSN in its 'maybe eventually to be unrebuilt state'....

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow the coupling rods actually look like they are forged metal, rather than stamped from sheet of brass.

I know there have been some great models from Hornby in the post Sanda Kan era (K1, S15, Radial...) BUT the MN does raise the bar, in the same way that the rebuilt version did back in 2000. Things have come full circle.

Not quite sure how I can justify one - if they do GSN in its 'maybe eventually to be unrebuilt state'....

Strangely enough General Steam Navigation is the only Series 2 not to grace my workbench or ownership.

Channel Packet will be stay as is, however Royal Mail will have a change of identity at some point (it has been a very long time since I renumbered a Malachite Green Bulleid - 6 years to put a number on it)

• RMweb Gold

My two have just arrived from Alton Model Centre by special delivery - many thanks Richard! What wonderful models; loads of differences between the two and each one is quite magnificent. Congratulations to the team at Hornby for producing such a fantastic model. Can see one of them making an appearance on the modular layout at Staplegrove in April. Looking forward to getting Clan Line when it arrives, provided I have managed to save up sufficient funds by then.

You will not need to buy a huge rake of coaches for an original Merchant Navy to pull. In Steam Memories of the Salisbury to Exeter Central Line by Derek Philips,on page 42 there is photograph of 35006 Peninsular & Oriental near Crewkerne pulling a three car set in March 1950 - albeit not in the form modelled Hornby so far but I am sure we will see one like it modelled in the coming years.

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Those comparison picture above definitely show the need for a new Light Pacific

Maybe some of the detail lacks a little finesse compared to Hornby's latest efforts but it's still a good model. I have twenty of them and I'd not be thinking of replacements, just additions. There are plenty of combinations that Hornby haven't yet covered.

My non-rebuilt Bulleid light pacific priorities would be some wide-cab locos equipped with cut-down 4500 gallon tenders (ideally 34094 Mortehoe, 34106 Lydford and 34110 66 Squadron, the unique badge-less BB). Plus similarly badge-less examples that kept cut-down 5500 gallon tenders (34099 Lynmouth or 34102 Lapford - preferably both).

Most of those will need a modified chassis with the correct later ash-pan; that off the rebuilt WC minus the Walschaerts would be a good starting point.  

Different tender bodies to widen the range of rebuilt locos would also be welcome, BR 5250 gallon to go with both sizes (34031 Torrington, 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair and 35002 Union Castle for me, please).

Plus a 5000 gallon cut-down just for the MN so I can finally get the rebuilt 1st Series MN I've always wanted, 35007 Aberdeen Commonwealth.  

Yes that is nine locos and if they all arrived tomorrow, I'd have the lot. The slush fund would just about stand it!

Then we can start thinking about later-spec non-rebuilt MNs...............

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Maybe some of the detail lacks a little finesse compared to Hornby's latest efforts but it's still a good model. I have twenty of them and I'd not be thinking of replacements, just additions.

My non-rebuilt Bulleid light pacific priorities would be some wide-cab locos equipped with cut-down 4500 gallon tenders (ideally 34094 Mortehoe, 34106 Lydford and 34110 66 Squadron, the unique badge-less BB). Plus similarly badge-less examples that kept cut-down 5500 gallon tenders (34099 Lynmouth or 34102 Lapford - preferably both).

Most of those will need a modified chassis with the correct later ash-pan; that off the rebuilt WC minus the Walschaerts would be a good starting point.  

Different tender bodies to widen the range of rebuilt locos would also be welcome, BR 5250 gallon to go with both sizes (34031 Torrington, 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair and 35002 Union Castle for me, please).

Plus a 5000 gallon cut-down just for the MN so I can finally get the rebuilt 1st Series MN I've always wanted, 35007 Aberdeen Commonwealth.  

Yes that is nine locos and if they all arrived tomorrow, I'd have the lot. The slush fund would just about stand it!

Then we can start thinking about later-spec non-rebuilt MNs...............

John

Blasphemy - you've mentioned that dirty word again. I wish Andy Y would add it to the swear filter ;)

• RMweb Gold

Blasphemy - you've mentioned that dirty word again. I wish Andy Y would add it to the swear filter ;)

Which one, slush? :jester:

While they are at it, the later ash-pans open up the possibility of 34011 Tavistock, 34043 Combe Martin and 34065 Hurricane in post-1952 condition, too.......

Cut-down 4500g. tenders with early crest should get the collectors interested.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

You will not need to buy a huge rake of coaches for an original Merchant Navy to pull. In Steam Memories of the Salisbury to Exeter Central Line by Derek Philips,on page 42 there is photograph of 35006 Peninsular & Oriental near Crewkerne pulling a three car set in March 1950 - albeit not in the form modelled Hornby so far but I am sure we will see one like it modelled in the coming years.

Also here for example, although there are no models (yet) of the coach set - https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/Original-Bulleid-locomotives/i-tQqtJgr/A

And here - https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/Original-Bulleid-locomotives/i-MrFNWqL/A

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

As the first Bulleid coaches built (in 1946) they are the obvious choice to go with early-post-war MNs.

They'd be ideal and economical for Hornby, using the Maunsell underpinnings.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Unfortunately we received less than we had ordered....

We have now received the ones missing from our original delivery, so we did end up with the full amount we ordered. :)

Alex

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Which one, slush? :jester:

While they are at it, the later ash-pans open up the possibility of 34011 Tavistock, 34043 Combe Martin and 34065 Hurricane in post-1952 condition, too.......

Cut-down tenders with early crest should get the collectors interested.

The word that Hornby, very wisely didn't put on the box (UN-REBUILT or in your case non-rebuilt)  :jester:

Joking aside, looking at the chassis Hornby "may" have taken the Air-Smoothed Bulleid Light Pacific in account when designing it ;)

• RMweb Gold

The word that Hornby, very wisely didn't put on the box (UN-REBUILT or in your case non-rebuilt)  :jester:

Joking aside, looking at the chassis Hornby "may" have taken the Air-Smoothed Bulleid Light Pacific in account when designing it ;)

I've always hated "un-rebuilt" and, of course, "non-rebuilt" should only be used in relation to locos in air-smoothed condition after the rebuilding programme had commenced. To avoid confusing myself, I generally restrict its use to locos that were never rebuilt. 

Mind you, if the preservationists have their way with General Steam Navigation as intended , maybe "un-rebuilt" will finally acquire a legitimate meaning.........

Thanks for the info on the rebuilt WC chassis, I've not yet undressed any of mine.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Having had a better look at the chassis, a number of parts are separate (aside from the usual suspects):

• Ashpan (screw behind gear tower)
  • Rear pony truck (underneath - to allow for both the cast & fabricated versions)
  • Lower parts of fairings (in-front of the cylinders)

post-7000-0-54455200-1489693246_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

My 21C3 arrived today and I could not resist a) fitting the details pack (front & rear buffer beam steps, cylinder drain pipes and steam / vacuum pipes), b) replacing the nameplates and smokebox roundel with etched replacements from Fox Transfers and taking a quick snap (hence the finger mark) on Canute Road Quay...

post-243-0-73478500-1489694869_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-89461900-1489694871_thumb.jpg

For those interested the Hornby plates are separate fittings held on with three small lugs one in the middle of the main circle and one at each end of the crossbar 'Merchant Navy Class' lettering. They came off easily with a point of a scalpel blade slid underneath and twisted. The Fox Transfer plates are the same size and therefore fit over the holes left in the body side perfectly. I just affixed the Smokebox roundel straight over the Hornby one.

I am still in two minds about forward dating her to the later top cowl and short smoke deflectors...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

My 21C3 arrived today and I could not resist a) fitting the details pack (front & rear buffer beam steps, cylinder drain pipes and steam / vacuum pipes), b) replacing the nameplates and smokebox roundel with etched replacements from Fox Transfers and taking a quick snap (hence the finger mark) on Canute Road Quay...

attachicon.gif21C3_1.jpg

attachicon.gif21C3_2.jpg

For those interested the Hornby plates are separate fittings held on with three small lugs one in the middle of the main circle and one at each end of the crossbar 'Merchant Navy Class' lettering. They came off easily with a point of a scalpel blade slid underneath and twisted. The Fox Transfer plates are the same size and therefore fit over the holes left in the body side perfectly. I just affixed the Smokebox roundel straight over the Hornby one.

I am still in two minds about forward dating her to the later top cowl and short smoke deflectors...

Forward dating Graham? I think you need to go and a have a lie down in a darkened room, after an ice cold shower of course ;)

Guest Midland Mole

Nooooo, you cant take a knife to a work of art! :O

Alex

Hi. I have never really appreciated the finer points of the original Bulleid design. The matching curves behind the cylinders and the rear driving wheels, the way the front of the cab matches the front of the casing. I had always preferred the modified ( not rebuilt ) design with smoke deflectors, hood over the smoke box door, angled cab and simpler tender top. The model really shows how well designed, and detailed, the original was. Why did I not order one!

Roger

• Like 1

Those comparison picture above definitely show the need for a new Light Pacific

One could argue that the rebuilt Merchant Navy should jump the queue. Though I find the current light Bullieds and rebuilds good enough for me, especially after having only Wrenn and former Triang models prior to 2000 in RTR form!

We've come a long way.