Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. That video is excellent, Artless Bodger, thank you for posting the link to it. I guess the 25 ton Cravens crane would not have been of much use on thinking about it. Well, this evening, thanks to fishermandave89, on Flickr, we go to Bridlington, but in about 1992, with a Swallow liveried class 47, number not known, running out of the carriage sidings having left the carriages there until they were required for the return journey.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, with thanks to Paul Smith on Flickr, we go back to Hull, on the 27th May, 1985, and watch 31416, complete with a ‘Stratford’ roof, leaving Hull on the 12.10 to Manchester Picadilly, as it goes by Selby Street.

31416hull27may85

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone. This afternoon we stay in Hull, and go across to Botanic Gardens depot. The date is the 9th September, 1984, and we see 08777 at the rear of the depot. The photo’ is courtesy of Paul Smith on Flickr.

08177 Hull Botanic Gardens

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert the photographers credit.
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we stay at Botantic Gardens depot, and on the 3rd August, 1985, we see 37221 and 37170 stood on the depot. The photo’, as was yesterday’s photo’ too, is courtesy of Paul Smith, on Flickr.

37221-37170hull3aug85

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert a letter.
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go to Filey to see a Deltic (Accurascale in mind here). The photo’ is courtesy of the KDH archive on Flickr, and shows, on the 15th August, 1981, 55011, The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, waiting to depart on the 08.54 to Newcastle. The Deltic will be replaced, at Scarborough, by 37197, and will next work the 09.47 Bridlington to London King’s Cross service, ECS, from Scarborough.

81 071 150881 Filey 55011

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of a photo’ by fishermandave89, on Flickr, we go to Bridlington. On the 16th April, 2016 we see 47580, County of Essex, departing on train 1Z52, the special 06.57 to Carlisle operated by West Coast Railways.

1Z52 0657 AT BRIDLINGTON

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 29/06/2022 at 19:00, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening we go to Filey to see a Deltic (Accurascale in mind here). The photo’ is courtesy of the KDH archive on Flickr, and shows, on the 15th August, 1981, 55011, The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers, waiting to depart on the 08.54 to Newcastle. The Deltic will be replaced, at Scarborough, by 37197, and will next work the 09.47 Bridlington to London King’s Cross service, ECS, from Scarborough.

81 071 150881 Filey 55011

Best regards,

Rob.

Would this have been a Hull man on this Rob?  I don't think Scarborough men signed deltics and I don't think back then York men would sign the Brid line 

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, russ p, it may be you are right about the Deltic being driven by a Hull driver. Hopefully someone will have a definitive answer.

Now, this evening, courtesy of a photo’ by Mr Bushy on Flickr, we go to Scarborough, and the date is the 27th August, 1983. The train is 1S51, the 15.12 to Glasgow Queen Street, and is to be hauled by 37100.

15456985441_d58ad4c510_k.jpg37100 Scarborough 1S51 27th August 1983 by Mr Bushy, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, russ p said:

Would this have been a Hull man on this Rob?  I don't think Scarborough men signed deltics and I don't think back then York men would sign the Brid line 

I was a relief drivers docket clerk at Botanic that year, and I cant remember ever having a diagram for BG men for that job.

Lots of different depots had their fingers on the Coast line trains Holbeck, Tinsley, York, Doncaster and a few intreped  Knottingley men. This resulted from the days when pit clubs ran regular excursions to the coast, often starting from the pit yard its self. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Simon Lee said:

I was a relief drivers docket clerk at Botanic that year, and I cant remember ever having a diagram for BG men for that job.

Lots of different depots had their fingers on the Coast line trains Holbeck, Tinsley, York, Doncaster and a few intreped  Knottingley men. This resulted from the days when pit clubs ran regular excursions to the coast, often starting from the pit yard its self. 

I didn't realise so many depots got down the coast , I would have expected a big depot like Hull  to have had had an LDC which prevented this. Knottingley men especially I thought at this time if they couldn't see a Ferrybridge cooling tower they spontaneously combusted! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, russ p said:

I didn't realise so many depots got down the coast , I would have expected a big depot like Hull  to have had had an LDC which prevented this. Knottingley men especially I thought at this time if they couldn't see a Ferrybridge cooling tower they spontaneously combusted! 

The LDC at Botanic were quite a passive group, in later years they were offered to work through to London but turned this down. 

BG was a complex depot, being an amalgamation of Dairycoates, Botanic Gardens and  with a thread of men who had worked  at Springhead. We had drivers, relief drivers, drivers put back and secondmen. Some secondmen were older than some drivers, and there was some longstanding resentment when certain individuals were booked together.

The regular docket clerk knew every agreement for every individual but I had to refer to the crib book, an A4 folder with LNER on the cover filled with LDC minutes dating back to the 40s and never rescinded. Sadly that went in the skip when the rosters moved away. I had moved on to Dover by then so was to late to rescue it.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

17 hours ago, russ p said:

Not quite so in latter years once the Aire Valley agreement was done away with them Knottingley boys flew far and wide to Ayr, Tyne Yard, Hull, Immingham, Toton and Leicester.  

Ta, 

K77

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you for the fascinating information about the rostering of drivers and secondmen. I’ve certainly learned something, and if anyone has anymore information on the subject please feel free to post it in this thread.

Well, this evening we are in Hull, thanks to a photo’ by David Scott on Flickr. We are seeing 20214, on the 11th May, 1977, assisting with track removal at the onetime Hull Loads depot, on Kingston Street - now the Hull Marina Boatbuilders Yard.

7678916604_d658c8c127_z.jpgThe Former Hull Full Loads depot by David Scott, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 8K77 said:

Not quite so in latter years once the Aire Valley agreement was done away with them Knottingley boys flew far and wide to Ayr, Tyne Yard, Hull, Immingham, Toton and Leicester.  

Ta, 

K77

I knew they spread their wings in later days, I did a couple of weeks handling on my mp12 in late 80s and they didn't seem to go far then. Knottingley men never seemed to be in messrooms much either,  south dock men were similar you never saw them in messrooms either.  I suppose that was the nature of MGR work. 

When I was a secondman at Thornaby we had jobs from the Durham pits but we used to leave our wagons at York and take a fresh set of empties back to Tees Yard with the same loco 

• Like 3

Yeah for a small depot if I remember rightly Knottingley had an establishment of around 45 Drivers. With the nature of the work and the agreements they had they did not spend much time in the messroom. 

The beauty was if one of the Power Stations had a plant breakdown you could always divert traffic into the two others without too much disruption to the MGR plan and get trains back on on track quickly, so very few cancelled turns as a result but this of course changed in 1990 when Energy Supply Industry (ESI) was passed over to the private sector. It got more challenging then to say the least. I always found the boys at Knottingley and the former National Power Boys at Ferrybridge very helpful and and they liked there overtime! 

Shame that things didn't work out as well at Hull as Simon says the LDC was quite happy to give work away. As Simon stated the Depot was offered work through to London with the introduction of the HST's taking over the Hull services. 

The LDC had a trip to London up front on a Leeds to London or Donny to London HST service and they decided that Doncaster could have the work. These guys men of steam used to going 70mph on DMU's maybe 80/90mph on the loco hauled jobs they had from Doncaster/Leeds to Hull found the higher speeds a white knuckle ride! It is a shame as Hull would have got an out back service as well but thanks to the LDC it was not to be. I often wonder if that was part of the reason that BR ran down the Intercity services to the city in the late 80s and early 1990s. I know from talking to people who was and are traincrew at the depot at the time that as long as the LDC can get to work on the 1st Bus and home on the last Bus they was and are happy. 

8K77 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, russ p, and 8K77, for more information about how it was, in reality, for drivers, etc., on the railway back in BR days. 
Now, this evening, I’m starting by bringing things right up to date. I think it must have been over the last week, only a brand new shunt signal has appeared at Beverley station, at the down end, on the up side. Here’s it’s photo’ which I’ve took last Thursday.

556A52A2-36B1-4EB1-AD12-D838E9D3D589.thumb.jpeg.e9594c4224ec07f027c518189bfeeb0d.jpeg

So, following on we now go to Hull to see a Deltic in Paragon station. The photo’ is courtesy of David Scott, on Flickr, and it shows 55017 waiting departure to London King’s Cross on the 18th March, 1981. I travelled to King’s Cross myself that day, but sadly it was on a HST. 

7621202416_48ebcd8fa4_k.jpg55 017 awaiting departure to London from Hull Paragon on18th March 1981 by David Scott, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

P.S. I have decided to start the long process of reinstating the missing photo’s from page one of this thread and onwards. I’ll give updates on that as I go along, but I expect it will take some time.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, russ p, and 8K77, for more information about how it was, in reality, for drivers, etc., on the railway back in BR days. 
Now, this evening, I’m starting by bringing things right up to date. I think it must have been over the last week, only a brand new shunt signal has appeared at Beverley station, at the down end, on the up side. Here’s it’s photo’ which I’ve took last Thursday.

556A52A2-36B1-4EB1-AD12-D838E9D3D589.thumb.jpeg.e9594c4224ec07f027c518189bfeeb0d.jpeg

Hi Rob, it is actually a Limit of Shunt signal. Presumably the previous one wasn't elevated? Perhaps that is why it was renewed, to give better sighting?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Ian. Thank you, however there was no limit of shunt signal there before, it was just a tall sign. I can’t find a photo’ of it at the moment, but I’ll post one when I do. 

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 8K77 said:

…. Snipped ….

I know from talking to people who was and are traincrew at the depot at the time that as long as the LDC can get to work on the 1st Bus and home on the last Bus they was and are happy. 

8K77 

That sounds like a sensible way of working. Not everyone wants overtime and unpredictable hours. Chose my career on basis I picked where I wanted to work and (at the time although it later changed) there was no forced relocation to other work places at the whim of the employer.

17 hours ago, iands said:

Hi Rob, it is actually a Limit of Shunt signal. Presumably the previous one wasn't elevated? Perhaps that is why it was renewed, to give better sighting?

There are a load of T3s booked next week between Driffield and Hunmanby next week for "Resignalling" as well.  Not sure what they are actually doing though

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, Boris about the signalling work due to take place somewhere between Driffield and Hunmanby next week. Sadly, I still have not located a photo’ of that part of Beverley station - I wonder if it’s one of those things whereby I’ve photographed everywhere else but that one location? I will keep looking just for historical reasons if nothing else.

Well now, this evening we go to Hull on the 5th May, 1978, and thanks to a photo’ by David Scott on Flickr, we see Deltic, 55014, waiting to depart on the last ever Hull Pullman service. With that an era ended and has never been replaced.

7616560368_3b56f7102b_k.jpg55 014 waiting to depart on the final Up Hull Pullman from Hull on 5th May 1978. by David Scott, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone. Firstly, thank you, Steve Grantham, for that excellent photo’ of the box at Copmanthorpe. It is a good example on an LNER art deco design, which was indeed to be found, post war, at Royal Oak South and North along with the Holiday Camp station box too. 
Now, this afternoon we go to Brough, in what appears to be the late 1950’s, courtesy of a photo’ from the Malcolm Burke Legacy Archive, on Flickr. We can see two departures, on both the fast and slow down lines to Hull. Both trains are being hauled by V3 tanks and are composed entirely of BR Mkl non corridor carriages. 

26189250485_2d8749d8f2_k.jpgHull and Barnsley Railway 168 by Malcolm Burke Legacy Archive, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11