Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This we go back to Hull, and Botanic Gardens depot, thanks to a photo’ by Paul Smith on Flickr. It shows 08248, shunting stock on a day in February, 1985.

08248hullfeb85

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, for this evening, thanks again to Paul Smith on Flickr, we see 31440 running past Boothferry Park Halt, with a diverted 10.59 Hull to Manchester Picadilly service on the 5th January, 1986.  

31440boothpk1159hull-manpic5jan86

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, with thanks again to Paul Smith on Flickr, we stay in Hull, and we see 45013, with the cab full up, waiting to depart from Hull Paragon station with a Rugby League special to Leeds, on the 6th April, 1985.

45013hull-leedsRLspecial4apr1985

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone. This afternoon we go to Seamer thanks to ricsrailpics on Flickr. The black and white photo’ is a head on view of class B1, 61069 approaching the station from Scarborough, on the 25th August, 1962. The smoke indicates the the fireman has been putting coal on the fire. I dread to think how old the boys to the right will now be.

3089322623_c3775a325e_3k.jpgClass B1 no.61069. Seamer Junction near Scarbro. York-bound. 25 August 1962 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

On 20/06/2022 at 18:59, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, with thanks again to Paul Smith on Flickr, we stay in Hull, and we see 45013, with the cab full up, waiting to depart from Hull Paragon station with a Rugby League special to Leeds, on the 6th April, 1985.

45013hull-leedsRLspecial4apr1985

Best regards,

Rob.

Leeds v Hull FC, Championship game Hull won 35 -18.

Suspect that is a Leeds crew.

Edited by 45125

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Boris said:

Gallows Close Goods Yard in Scarborough in the early 1960s with an unidentified BR STD 3 shunting the yard.  Photographer unknown, found on the Scarborough and Whitby Railway Facebook Group.

std1.jpg

Excellent picture 

Wonder what's in those two minerals?  The first one looks very clean and even painted inside 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, russ p said:

Wonder what's in those two minerals?  The first one looks very clean and even painted inside

I wondered that too, first thought was sand but too dense for that depth in the wagon and also some rather big bits in there. I settled for sawdust / sawmill waste - big bits are off-cuts, chips etc. Probably wrong, usually am.

On 13/06/2022 at 19:19, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. I think if I laid track with a joint like that on my model railway I’d get into trouble for people would say it is not like that on the prototype. 
Well, this evening we are still in Hull, but out to the west on the mainline to Selby and Goole. We are seeing 37299 accelerating away having just collected it’s train from Hessle yard. It’s giving out a good plume of exhaust. The still being built A63 can be seen on the right, and Hessle yard to the left which is now well built on. The date is the 9th April, 1985, and the photo’ is courtesy of Paul Smith, on Flickr.

37299hull9apr85

Best regards,

Rob.

Interesting comment wrt the road building. Around that time I went to stay with SIL who lived somewhere off the Anlaby Road, in order to travel on the Settle and Carlisle line - there was a daily through train from Hull to Carlisle and back. Plans went awry because some Herberts had nicked a digger from road works in Hessle and driven it onto the tracks (so possibly those roadworks in the photo). As a result we were all piled onto double deck busses and shipped to Brough - a lot of people were carrying suitcases (going to Blackpool perhaps). Despite the disruption and delay I did manage the S&C, went from Selby to York, then to Newcastle, did the Newcastle to Carlisle line in the DMU behind the driver, good views, then caught the return S&C train through to Hull. V. late for tea, not in SIL's best books though I'd tried to 'phone from Carlise she was out. Couldn't work out the right bus when back in Hull so walked, which added to lateness.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Fly ash?  Either from the loco shed or less likely (based on the location)  from a power station.

Was there a power station at Scarborough 

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, russ p said:

Excellent picture 

Probably loco ash from the shed - fairly light compared with many other things such as sand so could be loaded quite high especially if there's plenty of smokebox char in it.  The nature of the material also varies with some bigger lumps - very much like stuff dropped out of a firebox.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Boris, for that excellent photo’ of Gallows Close goods yard in the early 1960’s, it is an excellent addition to the thread. I can’t add to the discussion about the mineral wagons, except they probably were carrying loco ash from the shed.

Now, this evening, with another photo’ from ricsrailpics on Flickr, we are once again in Seamer and the same date, the 25th August, 1962. We see class K3, complete with a proud riveted tender, 61853, on it’s way from York to Scarborough. Note the very tall NER revolving disc ground signal in the foreground and the somewhat strange looking bufferstops.

4182066127_bd2bf11b9c_4k.jpgClass K3 no.61853. Seamer Junction. 25 August 1962 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Boris, for that excellent photo’ of Gallows Close goods yard in the early 1960’s, it is an excellent addition to the thread. I can’t add to the discussion about the mineral wagons, except they probably were carrying loco ash from the shed.

Now, this evening, with another photo’ from ricsrailpics on Flickr, we are once again in Seamer and the same date, the 25th August, 1962. We see class K3, complete with a proud riveted tender, 61853, on it’s way from York to Scarborough. Note the very tall NER revolving disc ground signal in the foreground and the somewhat strange looking bufferstops.

4182066127_bd2bf11b9c_4k.jpgClass K3 no.61853. Seamer Junction. 25 August 1962 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Could be wrong, but it looks like a couple of de-railers propped up against the buffer stops.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Market65 said:

Best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob

A lot of details in that picture that would look odd on a model . A crossover which appears to be able to hold a loco and two right handed signals 

Excellent picture though 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Shouldn't that be RE-railers?

CJI.

They are definitely short rerailing ramps, knowing the amount of crap buried in the bushes and undergrowth at Seamer I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were still on site somewhere!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening we again stay in Seamer, on the 25th August, 1962, with thanks again to ricsrailpics on Flickr, and watch B16/3, 61454, approaching from Scarborough on a train of Stanier corridor stock.  

6078745071_308e55a8ad_4k.jpgB16/3 no.61454 approaching Seamer station. 25 August 1962. by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2022 at 10:36, Boris said:

They are definitely short rerailing ramps, knowing the amount of crap buried in the bushes and undergrowth at Seamer I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were still on site somewhere!

However they would be very attractive items for the metal fairies - assuming they could actually manage to lift the ruddy useless things.  

They were definitely something the d-i-y re-railing cognoscenti avoided like the plague if they were on offer (and many places didn't have them) as reportedly they were quite adept at breaking chairs as part of the re-railing process.  Far better, and easier, to use some bits of timber packing (bits of old sleeper in good condition, sprags were said by 'the old boys' to be even better) and, ideally, some steel plate although fishplates were an alternative but the older types had a tendency to break at the wrong moment as a wheel went over them.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 07/06/2022 at 18:21, Market65 said:

Good afternoon, everyone. This afternoon we go to Bridlington, in the 1950’s and have an accident! Two photo’s, by fishermandave89 on Flickr make things clear. A D49/1, Shire, ended up in the turntable pit when things went a bit wrong. There is no date, but I seem to recall it may have been 1957. One of the ex-NER Cravens 25 ton breakdown cranes helped with the recovery. A former GCR non corridor carriage can be seen as part of the breakdown train.

BRIDLINGTON SHED

BRIDLINGTON SHED

Best regards,

Rob.

By co-incidence I found a photo compilation on Youtube today which includes this incident and some details of the consequent measures taken to turn a lot of waiting excursion locos; 'Misfortune at Bridlington'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHQnXZsgfgk

• Like 5