Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

13 hours ago, Revolution Mike B said:

59/2s in NP livery had drop head buckeyes and not screw links 

Going slightly off topic in regards to the model but adding to your comment Mike.

I was a driver at NP until and after the EWS takeover and as you state the 59s were fitted with buckeyes. We always used the screw link couplings on the JMAs for all services. In my 3 years of being involved with the operation I only ever remember the buckeye couplers being used once. 

When initially repainted into the EWS livery the buckeye was still retained so on the occasions we ran the 59s with HAAs then we used the instantor coupling in the long position.

Sorry for the thread drift.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

@johndonThere's no detail on the Dart Castings website, but I presume they're BR coaching stock drophead buckeyes.

If so, they may look a little undernourished, as the BR coaching stock coupling was roughly 3/4 the size of an American spec buckeye which the wagons are fitted with, and presumably so too were the 59/2s.

Having typed the above, knowing that BR and AAR buckeyes aren't permitted to be joined on the mainline (67s and 66s on railtours use an emergency screw coupler) looking through pictures of 59s that coupler does look a little on the small side.

BR and AAR will couple (08s with BR drophead buckeyes having seen use at the Mendip quarries) for shunting purposes. Is that all they were intended for perhaps? Any ideas @Purnu, may tie in with them not being used often. I can't find a photo online of one coupled to a wagon to compare sizes.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

My ARC liveried one arrived last night - looks great I must say. Wonder if anyone could help suggest a course of action though; it’s missing a buffer (not in box either) and the retailer has sold out. I’d rather not send it back in favour of refund, as I’ve waited 7 years for it and it’s a small issue, but incredibly noticeable! 
Should I hold onto it for now in the hope that Dapol do some spares in due course, or can anyone recommend good alternative buffers available that will match the 59 as closely as possible?

Many thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Ajax50046 said:

My ARC liveried one arrived last night - looks great I must say. Wonder if anyone could help suggest a course of action though; it’s missing a buffer (not in box either) and the retailer has sold out. I’d rather not send it back in favour of refund, as I’ve waited 7 years for it and it’s a small issue, but incredibly noticeable! 
Should I hold onto it for now in the hope that Dapol do some spares in due course, or can anyone recommend good alternative buffers available that will match the 59 as closely as possible?

Many thanks.

Have you spoken to Dapol direct ? I’d think they would have spares for bits that can fall off 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Dapol 59 Alert - "Mystery Critters" - Help!

OK, hopefully this may generate some attention: the NP 59204 that I showed above, has produced a little mystery; these, for want of technical accuracy, I have called little critters!!

On removing the body (very easy), I found one of these on my desk - they are only 5mm long.  Checked the body (outside/inside), the chassis (end-to-end), and the bogies.  Could not find any location at all where I/it may have removed itself from.  You will note two little 'pins' that suggest they are perhaps a 'friction' fit (not glued).  No success, after multiple re-scanning.  Decoder fitted and body re-applied. Critter put in a self-seal bag for time being. 

Class_59_critters.jpg.523ef631f582d9999cfc419c6c2b9401.jpg

Today, I remove the body, to look at the exhaust cover.  Replaced safely, no issues - immediately afterwards, the 2nd "critter" appeared on my desktop.

Again, multiple re-checking of all components - absolutely no indication of any "free/empty" location, anywhere - even looked in the cabs.

Now, I'm not the sort to be careless with locos, and the little beggars do seem irrelevant. However, my little critters are so winding me up.

Here's the take: challenge, can anyone find where they belong (evidence would be helpful to me, or anyone else subsequently afflicted).  Or, are there any (serious 🙂) suggestions that would help.

Just think, you could be the next "p**r s*d" to suffer.

Dave

Edited by 70000 Britannia
spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

More liveries just announced here - https://www.Dapol.co.uk/blogs/news/new-oo-gauge-class-59s-announced

4D-005-004 Class 59 59004 Late Foster Yeoman Paul A Hammond

image.png.bec129b06915b8c1c7f8a1c01ff48c38.png

4D-005-005 Class 59 59201 EWS Vale of York

image.png.9e476957f470600efd671c9fd9c5556c.png

4D-005-006 Class 59 59101 ARC (REV) Village of Whatley

image.png.44f2dd3491286c9cd79c575f82e1642e.png

4D-005-007 Class 59 59002 MRL Green/Orange Alan J Day

image.png.309639097c0130c201f6b5c41df02c62.png

4D-005-008 Class 59 59206 Freightliner Orange John F Yeoman

image.png.bcaf72383ebc9d622cf6496291014cdf.png

• Like 9

1 hour ago, 70000 Britannia said:

Dapol 59 Alert - "Mystery Critters" - Help!

OK, hopefully this may generate some attention: the NP 59204 that I showed above, has produced a little mystery; these, for want of technical accuracy, I have called little critters!!

On removing the body (very easy), I found one of these on my desk - they are only 5mm long.  Checked the body (outside/inside), the chassis (end-to-end), and the bogies.  Could not find any location at all where I/it may have removed itself from.  You will note two little 'pins' that suggest they are perhaps a 'friction' fit (not glued).  No success, after multiple re-scanning.  Decoder fitted and body re-applied. Critter put in a self-seal bag for time being. 

Class_59_critters.jpg.523ef631f582d9999cfc419c6c2b9401.jpg

Today, I remove the body, to look at the exhaust cover.  Replaced safely, no issues - immediately afterwards, the 2nd "critter" appeared on my desktop.

Again, multiple re-checking of all components - absolutely no indication of any "free/empty" location, anywhere - even looked in the cabs.

Now, I'm not the sort to be careless with locos, and the little beggars do seem irrelevant. However, my little critters are so winding me up.

Here's the take: challenge, can anyone find where they belong (evidence would be helpful to me, or anyone else subsequently afflicted).  Or, are there any (serious 🙂) suggestions that would help.

Just think, you could be the next "p**r s*d" to suffer.

Dave

One on the left just looks like a sacrificial sprue? Possibly junk left in the box at assembly?

C6T.

1 hour ago, JackB95 said:

More liveries just announced here - https://www.Dapol.co.uk/blogs/news/new-oo-gauge-class-59s-announced

4D-005-004 Class 59 59004 Late Foster Yeoman Paul A Hammond

image.png.bec129b06915b8c1c7f8a1c01ff48c38.png

4D-005-005 Class 59 59201 EWS Vale of York

image.png.9e476957f470600efd671c9fd9c5556c.png

4D-005-006 Class 59 59101 ARC (REV) Village of Whatley

image.png.44f2dd3491286c9cd79c575f82e1642e.png

4D-005-007 Class 59 59002 MRL Green/Orange Alan J Day

image.png.309639097c0130c201f6b5c41df02c62.png

Still no aggregates grrrr...

Edited by Markn
  • Agree 2

EWS Sound one ordered. Like 30 seconds after I seen the post 😂.

Currently considering a National Power one also, as one did come to north Wales up to Trawsfynydd on a rail tour(like I need to justify it anyway)...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CazRail said:

Currently considering a National Power one also, as one did come to north Wales up to Trawsfynydd on a rail tour(like I need to justify it anyway)...

Crikey, the number of 59s that kicked off Pathfinder's tours from Westbury and Brizzle... usually swapped out at New St. or BINT. 

Just got myself a 204, are second batch available for pre-order through resellers already, I couldn't find them on RoS?

C6T.

16 minutes ago, CazRail said:

59205 on 'The Roman Nose' railtour.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Crikey, the number of 59s that kicked off Pathfinder's tours from Westbury and Brizzle... usually swapped out at New St. or BINT. 

Just got myself a 204, are second batch available for pre-order through resellers already, I couldn't find them on RoS?

C6T.

Ive pre ordered mine from Hattons. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CazRail said:

Ive pre ordered mine from Hattons. 

I've just got an email notification from Hattons for the second batch...at a slightly higher price than what I've literally just paid for 204 incidentally. So, thanks for letting me know.

C6T.

Actually I didn't check if the higher price was for DCC ready rather than chipped so I should point that out.

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I've just got an email notification from Hattons for the second batch...at a slightly higher price than what I've literally just paid for 204 incidentally. So, thanks for letting me know.

C6T.

Actually I didn't check if the higher price was for DCC ready rather than chipped so I should point that out.

Yuh, £152.96 for a second batch EWS jobbie against the £147.22 I just paid for an NP 204. Both analogue, different vendors though.

Not an issue, I've been wanting an NP 59 for forever, simply on the principal of the complexity of the livery. Sub £150 for it offsets the slightest increase for a perceived simpler paint job on the gold and red machine.

C6T.

3 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Well, I am going to wait a bit longer in case there's a current livery 59003 appear. If not then it will be FL even though it's out of region. I'll just squint as it goes past and pretend it's a 66.

1 hour ago, Markn said:

Still no aggregates grrrr...

I wonder if they were put off by the AI 66 Bachmann had lingering on shelves for a couple of years?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Can spot a wee error with the 59/0's - they should have the older style 'Electro Motive' worksplates and not the newer one as seen on later 59's and EWS 66's

Like so, best quick pic I could find

image.png.df7557ff4c143cb9d0f1b02b49dd15f1.png

Much appreciated. Plenty of time for me to tweak the artwork if necessary.

• Like 1