Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

12 hours ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

Compliments of the season to you all.

I have yet to receive my Yeoman class 59 so can not comment from an ‘in the flesh’ perspective.

What do owners of the National Power & ARC variants think of the main body colours.

I (& am sure others), would be interested to hear.

ARC colours are spot on. And I like to think I know a little about colours 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/12/2022 at 20:05, Steadfast said:

Looks like the lighting on these is wrong as well as the 59/0s. Should only have one marker and one headlight lit. Wonder if this can be fiddled on the CVs to correct it?

59202 6C68 Horfield

Jo

Lol so the 59/1 has the correct number of lights for the 59/0, and the 59/0 correct for the 59/1!?

Still waiting on my ARC to arrive, hopefully before Christmas!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard w said:

Mine is okay, that's disappointing on your model.

Thanks for the info. I have dug around and seen a few images and haven't seen any like mine. Typically (I am a little jinxed with defective models it appears) I seem to have picked up a rogue one. I have never had more defective models than during this last year. Given the now high cost of models I had hoped QC might have taken a step up too, maybe the reverse has actually happened!?!

Anyhow I have arranged a swap out with my online retailer, the hassles of dealing with that now. Going to be unlikely to have this resolved before xmas I think!

7 hours ago, sanspareil said:

Thanks for the info. I have dug around and seen a few images and haven't seen any like mine. Typically (I am a little jinxed with defective models it appears) I seem to have picked up a rogue one. I have never had more defective models than during this last year. Given the now high cost of models I had hoped QC might have taken a step up too, maybe the reverse has actually happened!?!

Anyhow I have arranged a swap out with my online retailer, the hassles of dealing with that now. Going to be unlikely to have this resolved before xmas I think!

While I agree it shouldn't have arrived like that having a loose one makes weathering underneath alot easier ;)

I've had a little play with the CVs to try and improve the lighting situation.  Not had much luck.  I ended up resetting the imperium decoder in my model after changing a few values (write 4 to CV8).  Now it fails to run the motor in either direction and the tail lights only work for a split second.  Switched for a lenz decoder and the model runs just fine. 

Tried the imperium decoder in another working model and confirmed it's no longer sending power to the motor.

The lenz silver decoder now fitted to the 59 has no clue how to run the lights and they're all over the place.  Same goes for a Bachmann branded ESU decoder.  Setting the CVs on the lenz decoder to the ones specified in the Dapol instructions doesn't work either.

Strikes me as complexity for the sake of it.  The 59 is best used with an imperium decoder, just don't reset it!

Edited by richard w
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It strikes me that this is needlessly overcomplicated! I guess it's difficult for manufacturers to know who to listen to, but if they don't know it'd be beneficial to ask the question of those who do!

The lights, particularly on a 59/0 are very simple and if as the manufacturer you understand how they work from inside the cab, should be easy enough to replicate. As models get more refined, so the scrutiny increases I guess.

Jo

• Agree 2

My sound equipped 59005 arrived with a few minor (but irritating) chips to the roof paintwork above each cab. Also with a bag containing incorrect nameplates and buffer beam skirts.

I believe the decoder is a Zimo, which I have tended to use in my large scale locos, with great results. My DCC equipment is away being repaired but on analogue control the front and rear lights work correctly.

I’ll let you know if they are working correctly on DCC once I get my gear back.

067E9AF7-D42D-4DE5-B3BD-4863B4268A9E.jpeg

Edited by Mr Grumpy
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

While I agree it shouldn't have arrived like that having a loose one makes weathering underneath alot easier ;)

If only it was loose, its stuck hard in that position! Too much risk trying to free up on a new model so yet another return it is. Sloppy QC must cost the model business a fair bit. Not sure who take the hit on return postage costs etc!

13 hours ago, Mr Grumpy said:

My sound equipped 59005 arrived with a few minor (but irritating) chips to the roof paintwork above each cab. Also with a bag containing incorrect nameplates and buffer beam skirts.

I believe the decoder is a Zimo, which I have tended to use in my large scale locos, with great results. My DCC equipment is away being repaired but on analogue control the front and rear lights work correctly.

I’ll let you know if they are working correctly on DCC once I get my gear back.

067E9AF7-D42D-4DE5-B3BD-4863B4268A9E.jpeg

Are there dummy drophead buckeyes in the baggy (for 59/2 in original condition) or am I asking too much??

Edited by LaGrange

• RMweb Premium

I cancelled mine at the last minute, but will get a sound one eventually when I am sure the lighting issues are sorted out. I am going to wait to see what Legoman comes up with for this particular 59 before I commit to the Dapol factory fitted sound model. Sad about the grill issue and paint chips, really not good enough when we are now paying big bucks for these models.

Edited by 7013
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Overall am pleased with my Yeoman liveried version, however there are some weaknesses that may be due to the models long gestation period. Opening doors--- why! they don't stay open as they are sprung loaded. They are a toy like feature that has no model scenario benefit and lead to the model looking poor, with excessive shutlines and the door positioning distorted as the spring pushes it against the frame, causing it to be at an angle along the body. I've opened the doors fully, to distort the spring, thus deactivating it and then gluing the doors shut, but in line with the body.

Second annoying issue is the dc lighting options. Although there is a 3 position switch for dc lighting options, this doesn't allow the cab lights to be turned off without also turning off the directional lighting. Luckily the directional lighting is wired directly in the chassis, while the cab lights have contact pads in the chassis and sprung loaded contacts in the body, so I've put insulating tape over the chassis contact pads.

Also had the roof grill incorrectly fitted, raised at one end. This seems to be fitted with tabs that go into slots in the body in the grille aperture. I was able to lift the end and push the tabs further down.

• Informative/Useful 1

I reckon the separate doors are to enable the body to be shared between different variants. The 59/1s and 59/2 (excpet 201) have different doors, and by doing the same on the 59/0 enables opening doors to be a feature of the whole range

Jo

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Are there dummy drophead buckeyes in the baggy (for 59/2 in original condition) or am I asking too much??

Hi LaGrange,

I didn’t open the bag, but I had a good look and couldn’t see any.

Dapol are exchanging the bags and also offered me a replacement body shell, which I declined as everything else looks ok including doors, grille etc :-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I reckon the separate doors are to enable the body to be shared between different variants. The 59/1s and 59/2 (excpet 201) have different doors, and by doing the same on the 59/0 enables opening doors to be a feature of the whole range

Jo

That and to add more depth to the model too, like the Hornby 50, pull off the opening mechanism and glue the door back shut (or ajar) and it looks good. 59 doors are literally sheetmetal anyway

Have they modelled anything behind the open doors to give a representation of what's in there?

Should be able to see right through at no. 2 end (radiator) with both doors open, plus a bit of radiator.

No. 1 end should be a body coloured wall.

Jo

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 7013 said:

I cancelled mine at the last minute, but will get a sound one eventually when I am sure the lighting issues are sorted out. I am going to wait to see what Legoman comes up with for this particular 59 before I commit to the Dapol factory fitted sound model. Sad about the grill issue and paint chips, really not good enough when we are now paying big bucks for these models.

Bif’s sound file needs a couple of tweaks but it’s 98% there and won’t disappoint. The lighting issue with Dapol is more than likely a mapping error, but the lights would be last on my list of things to be concerned about. I’d also say that £140ish isn’t overly expensive considering what you’re getting for your money - a model with minimum detail. Costs have increased, wages have increased, everything has increased so if you were paying £200 or more for it then id expect it to be correct in all of the detail. 

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Have they modelled anything behind the open doors to give a representation of what's in there?

They don't open very far. 

I like a gimmick, but these opening doors are very definitely a gimmick. 🙃

Edited by andythenorth

• RMweb Premium
On 14/12/2022 at 22:28, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

Compliments of the season to you all.

I have yet to receive my Yeoman class 59 so can not comment from an ‘in the flesh’ perspective.

What do owners of the National Power & ARC variants think of the main body colours.

I (& am sure others), would be interested to hear.

Hi,

Some views and thoughts on my National Power 59204.

Side views:

Full view

Dapol_National_Power_59204.jpg.a72ee8ffedab5aa1059c430753e95680.jpg

Cab 1 end

Dapol_59204_Cab_1_End.jpg.fd0fc0170eb50fc1030d279b3cb4ce43.jpg

Cab 2 End

Dapol_59204_Cab_2_End.jpg.3be148339541c7fc2af4957dc933ff37.jpg

Personally, I think the colour scheme is fine.  Runs out of the box quite smoothly, and no problems with the rotating axle boxes whatsoever.

Noticed a slight light bleed when main headlight is on, but that is with the room lights off!!  I expect that can be sealed.

Dapol_59204_headlight_side_bleed.jpg.e9148143c4620de5f2522205607421c9.jpg

The finish is very good, and body removal is very straightforward.  Cab interiors are easy to access.

I'm happy with it, even though the exhaust block is indeed about 1.5mm over high, so something for the purists to address.  Easy to fix though (update: see Exhaust mod - @richard w 13.12.2022.

It will be running on Clayton End, at the Doncaster BRM show - so say hello.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Edited by 70000 Britannia
see update: exhaust mod
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I received my National power one today with smoke. Wonderful model and for the price great value. I am not a purist but my lights work ok, I like the fact that they have thought about the smoke, it is only on for 10 to 15 seconds. Runs really smoothly. I think Dapol should be congratulated for many models that are in a decent price frame and are good.

• Agree 4