Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

24 minutes ago, trevora said:

have you set all the CVs as dapols list for the imperium on the sheet with the loco

Yes, several times.  I've tested it with other locos and it no longer outputs anything to the motor.  I've reset it several times and reconfigured the cvs with no luck on two different controllers.

1 hour ago, James90012 said:

New Yeoman and revised ARC look great. No Hanson though, depsite that being in the N gauge range and the matching wagons have been announced for OO. Perhaps a retailer special?

Weeellll, matching loco and wagons are over rated anyway 😉

59004 6L21 Westbury

59101 7A17 Crofton

pics linked from my Flickr, click for captions etc.

And if you've got nothing better to do with your money than buy 6 of the same model, you can recreate this. Though to be fully accurate 202 would need to be a dummy as it was poorly at the time.

6 Class 59s for sale, 2 careful owners...

Jo

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Only 701 got a repaint in the original livery, but they updated the branding to use the later lettering style.

Jo

Actually, 66701 never got painted from it's original livery, just been going through Flickr, it also carried yellow Whitemoor plates like the Bachmann model when it was first released.

But your absolutely right in terms of the modification back from Europort, the band on the top is just within the blue section of the bodyside.

11 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

Actually, 66701 never got painted from it's original livery

Trust me, it got repainted.

November 2014 it was in this state.

66701 2014-11-21st Aylesford1 [db]

December 2014 it emerged from the works, seen here shortly after.

66701 Eastleighg

Note the bodyside logos have changed and it's gained orange triangles on the lower edges of the roof peak by the windscreens.

GB locos (both factory and Eastleigh repaints) have the orange logo and number painted rather than stickers, and if you look at them up close you can see the outline of the old bolder text under the blue paint.

Within a couple of years the paint had faded to a dull yellowy sandy shade, which it carries to this day.

All pics linked from Flickr. 

Anyway isn't this the 59 thread? 59003 carried the same horrid faded sand shade until it got repainted into the "post Europorte" version of GBRf.

Jo

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

66701 Eastleighg

Note the bodyside logos have changed and it's gained orange triangles on the lower edges of the roof peak by the windscreens.

GB locos (both factory and Eastleigh repaints) have the orange logo and number painted rather than stickers, and if you look at them up close you can see the outline of the old bolder text under the blue paint.

Within a couple of years the paint had faded to a dull yellowy sandy shade, which it carries to this day.

Anyway isn't this the 59 thread? 59003 carried the same horrid faded sand shade until it got repainted into the "post Europorte" version of GBRf.

Jo

You have some cracking pictures Jo,thanks for sharing them and your knowledge,have a good Xmas and keep them coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, trevora said:

but then you could not have all the light funitions they have

direction cab lights

day and night headlights

marker lights only

red  tail lights (x2 ends)

this comes to 10 funtions

Is it not just easier to buy a Leggobiffo chip off @charliepetty and i guess it all works or are you saying its not right from the factory?

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, trevora said:

but then you could not have all the light funitions they have

direction cab lights

day and night headlights

marker lights only

red  tail lights (x2 ends)

this comes to 10 funtions

A V5 has 10 outputs....

15 hours ago, James90012 said:

No Hanson though, depsite that being in the N gauge range and the matching wagons have been announced for OO. Perhaps a retailer special?

Dapol would be foolish to have the Hanson livery confined to one retailer only, then again in the new batch the revised ARC and the MRL liveries only made it onto one loco each in reality.... Not too many 'unique' locos in a fleet of 15

I wonder if Dapol will change the exhaust and the NRN pods to the correct type on this second batch.

Everyone going on and on about the lights, ive only seen one post on here from someone correcting the overheight exhaust and nothing about the NRN pods being removed, strange.

Unlike those who've been waiting all these years for the models to appear, I never really had a 59 in my plan. I'd been considering a 66 (or similar), but the Bachmann 66 is too old and the Hattons 66 has too many issues for my liking. 

I visited my local today for some new track cutters and ended up walking out with this; (and the track cutters) 

69806803_PXL_20221224_133216875.NIGHT2.jpg.35c863b569f421050dc8d8eef097acd2.jpg

It's a really lovely, solid looking model. The only faults I can find are that the headlights and bogie steps need a touch up of paint, but apart from that I'm very happy with it.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 23/12/2022 at 22:39, richard w said:

Yes, several times.  I've tested it with other locos and it no longer outputs anything to the motor.  I've reset it several times and reconfigured the cvs with no luck on two different controllers.

I'm guessing you have got into it way beyond my understanding - good luck....

I made the careless mistake of assuming that DC section 7 and DCC sections 8-10 would have some interrelationship, i.e. section 7's references to SW2 & SW3, using switch postions 3, and the function keys within F0-F5, in section 10. Also, I completely overlooked section 8, CV configuration, because I assumed my separately purchased Imperium 1 decoder would already have been configured.  How wrong!

I'm sure some of this has been raised in previous posts, but being used to spending half my time running US & Continental locos with [seemingly] much simpler lighting activations, it would be good to nail down e.g.:

• when markers only; Update: yard lights @Steadfast 12.12.2022 at 09:48
  • conditions demanding headlight and marker; Update: main line operation
  • why right headlight at night? Logic says darkness is obvious enough.   Updates: day lights for lineside safety (59/1, 59/2) @John M Upton 25.12.2022 at 09:30; day lights (59/0) @Steadfast 12.12.2022 at 09:48 and (59/2) 14/12/2022 at 20:05; see lights (59/0) @richard w 11.12.2022 at 19:47

NB: no rear lights, when in train, seems obvious.

Dave

Edited by 70000 Britannia
Post streamlined & lighting updates added

• RMweb Premium

The Night/Day headlight setting I can answer.

Day setting has the headlight on the secondman's side and marker light on the driver's side so that the main beam does not dazzle any lineside PWay or other track side personnel.

Night setting has the lights the other way around (main beam the drivers side) to illuminate line side signs such as PSR's etc and when it is far less likely to encounter lineside staff.

HOWEVER in the event of failure of one of the main beam lights, the day setting can be used at night and vice versa to get train home.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2022 at 10:12, Steadfast said:

66701 Eastleighg

Jo

Jo,

Getting puzzled now: are Class 66/7 daylights (Main + 2 Markers), different to 59/1 & 2s then?

Dave

4 hours ago, 70000 Britannia said:

Jo,

Getting puzzled now: are Class 66/7 daylights (Main + 2 Markers), different to 59/1 & 2s then?

Dave

Yes. Each class is different. Best to work from photos of the type you're modelling. I'm in the process of putting a graphical guide together showing the different light setups of UK locos. I'll try and get it posted after Christmas 

Jo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Yes. Each class is different. Best to work from photos of the type you're modelling. I'm in the process of putting a graphical guide together showing the different light setups of UK locos. I'll try and get it posted after Christmas 

Jo

Thanks,then will we all see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/12/2022 at 10:47, 70000 Britannia said:

Jo,

Dave

Some 66's (Those that have had WIpacs replaced with Bmac) are now running around with both markers and both headights on.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Some 66's (Those that have had WIpacs replaced with Bmac) are now running around with both markers and both headights on.

And flipping good for seeing where you're going they are, too! Even on dim they're seriously bright.

Jo

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

And flipping good for seeing where you're going they are, too! Even on dim they're seriously bright.

Jo

Good for track staff too, can see these things miles off in even poor visibility. 

I am pleased to announce that despite a number of setbacks and challenges, my sound file for the Dapol 59 is just about ready for release into the wild. My first model got lost in the post. Then when a replacement finally arrived I’d been struck down with manflu. Absolutely no fun whatsoever then trying to wrestle with the most complex logic puzzle I’ve ever been set by a model manufacturer. The model does indeed have on-board logic between the auxiliary outputs of the chip and the lights. This ultimately limited what I could do in terms of lighting configurations. After literally hours and hours of experimentation and hair pulling I have achieved the best results I can given the limitations of the circuit board and design. So you have (Dapol’s interpretation of) daytime running, night time running, and yard mode (markers only). You can also disable the tail lights in any of those modes (which I refer to as train mode). It wasn’t possible to program parking mode (reds at both ends). Furthermore, no amount of CV changing would improve on any of the lighting configurations that Dapol have enabled; hardware changes would be required. 

As well as extinguishing the tail lights, train mode also switches from loco brake sounds to train brake sounds. This is a feature that I’m retro-fitting to all sound files when time and recordings permit. 

Another notable feature of the 59 sound project is the ability to park the loco with the correct sounds of the hydraulic parking brake going on and off. Also featured are; the whirring sounds of the reverser each time you change ends, the driver’s safety device (DSD), battery isolator and so on.

I have yet to investigate the smoke generator so the sound project is not yet ‘smoke enabled’.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1