Taunton 2016 - full line up announced

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I would like to say once again a big thank you to Tim for organising the day and the help that everyone else provides. We all know it isn't an easy task, but I know Tim has enjoyed doing it. I've certainly enjoyed attending, both as a "punter" in 2009, my first visit, and as part of the 'gofer' team since (I also don't use gofer in a bad way.) It has been a pleasure to help, either as auctioneer, car park attendant or tables clearer!

I wouldn't be such a good (I use the term loosely!) modeller if it wasn't for Tim and RMWeb, so I do hope it continues in some form.

Hopefully not for the last time, but one for the traditional caption competition.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Captain swabs down the decks for the last time thinking to himself, "... blasted, messy sods! They could clear up after themselves!"

All the best to everyone and I hope to see you all soon.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Considering where he is, I'd suggest: Bloody elephant s**t, why cant they take it home?

• RMweb Premium

I would like to say once again a big thank you to Tim for organising the day and the help that everyone else provides. We all know it isn't an easy task, but I know Tim has enjoyed doing it. I've certainly enjoyed attending, both as a "punter" in 2009, my first visit, and as part of the 'gofer' team since (I also don't use gofer in a bad way.) It has been a pleasure to help, either as auctioneer, car park attendant or tables clearer!

I wouldn't be such a good (I use the term loosely!) modeller if it wasn't for Tim and RMWeb, so I do hope it continues in some form.

Hopefully not for the last time, but one for the traditional caption competition.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Captain swabs down the decks for the last time thinking to himself, "... blasted, messy sods! They could clear up after themselves!"

All the best to everyone and I hope to see you all soon.

Kind regards,

Nick.

"I'm finding enough bits to make a whole locomotive!"

Yet another "thank you" to Tim for organising such an excellent event, to Madeline and team for the catering and to all those who assisted, particularly with loading and unloading layouts. I particularly enjoyed attending as an exhibitor, since most people seemed much happier to chat, rather than expecting a continuous stream of trains. And I hope that everyone will now be following progress on the Patiala State Monorail, which must rate as one of the most original layouts to appear for a long time.

Best wishes

Eric    

Just a short note from me to say thank you to everyone for being so kind to me and my friend today. I have way over 50 pictures to process and I have an hospital appointment tomorrow so I will need to burn some midnight oil over the next few days to bring you the very best of my efforts.

If you are wondering who I was, I was the one in a purple skirt.

I am glad that Black Rat didn't make it; we would have clashed badly colourwise. :no:

• RMweb Gold

Now safely back on my rock, having made the journey in under four hours, including an hour on the ferry.

Thanks to all who made the day possible and special thanks to my fellow moduleers, including our new gaffer. It was also a pleasure to have Craig Hilton as a keen volunteer operator, proving that there is at least a degree of sanity in the family  ;).

Pictures to follow tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Now I'm at the overnight stop on the way home I thought I would post a quick post.

This may sound like another me too post but it has to be said,

A massive thanks to Tim for organising the event not only this year but for the nine years it has been running.

I have made the pilgrimage from the "grim north" as Tim puts it for 8 of those years and it has been worth ever singe mile of the drive.

I have always seen it as a weekend away not only to play trains but to catch up with people who are now friends and to meet fellow members of Rmweb.

The ladies of the catering department have always provided the best food of any event I have been too both with exhibiting but with work as well.

The chocolate cake was to die for today and I should have had more of it.

Thanks to all those involved not only in today's event but the past ones over the years from those that helped set up and strip down to those of you that supported the events.

I have to say thanks to all of you that stopped by Pugslys layout and said how nice the track was. It has been an honour to have been intrusted with the task of building it and some pics will be going up on my blog over the next few weeks.

All I can say to finsh is thank you again Tim.

Cheers

Simon

Ps i have a great photo to post up later in the week once I have had chance to get it off the phone!!!

• RMweb Gold

CTMK and I are back in Kernow Towers now but too tired to post much, but a big thanks from me to everyone that helped out today and a massive thanks to everyone who contributed to the most kind, generous and unexpected presentation to me after our charity auction. I was very humbled by the evident good wishes of everyone involved, so many thanks again. I will endeavour to post some of my photos tomorrow.

Good night!

• RMweb Premium

A big thank you to everyone involved in todays event, which as with previous years was wonderful in all respects. It takes a lot of planning and commitment to put on such a outstanding show / members day / gathering of like minded friends / however else you want to describe it and we have been lucky that Tim and his many helpers have been able to do this 9 times now. I just hope that the wider RMweb membership can continue the legacy they have left us, as its events like the Taunton gathering that really mark out RMweb more than just another internet forum.

Incidentally, while we were waiting to leave the hall, our forum's founder (A York) simply had to have a go on a certain device. Those RMweb members who are good at coming up with captions might like to pen something suitable.

post-658-0-18859800-1461535213_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-10262600-1461535242_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-91157800-1461535261_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Back to the event itself:

The friendship (think making new and catching up with old),

the modelling (think all scales, gauges and genres),

the inspiration (especially as a 4mm modeller some of the amazing 2mm finescale that has been on show),

the laughter (not always at Andy's or CK's expense), 

the sharing of skills and new ideas,

the wacky (think Stubby and a few others...),

the food (thanks to Maddy and her team),

the new experiences (think the driving experience on the WSR),

the banter (refer to laughter),

the playing trains (both with my layout and the others whom have taken time to bring along theirs,

the perseverance (think the modular team), 

and overall the fun... are all the reasons why I have made a 350 mile round trip to attend and take part in every one over the last 9 years.

Well done and very many sincere thanks to Tim and his team, I look forward to supporting whatever form the event takes on in the future.

Back to the desk after a wonderful weekend.

I spent Saturday afternoon on a ride down to Watchet on the WSR, a beautiful spring afternoon to sit outside the pub on the quayside with a Thatcher's whilst a little carnival took place. It was chance to try out some new-ish gear, hopefully some video later on.

WSR_1s.jpg

Thanks to Tim for once again organising with Taunton MRG for us to spend a pleasant couple of hours at the clubrooms at Bishops Lydeard gassing and watching trains go by, it was too good a chance to miss to stretch the APT's legs on Tamerig Central, it mostly went OK. It was apparent over the weekend that a couple of folk had received their APT's but not had time or space to connect them up so having a set to hand so they could see how it went together was useful.

Although the camaraderie down at the Cross Keys afterwards was excellent the service was woeful and as Tim says it's unlikely many of us would ever return there.

The Taunton version of Early Risers set to at 7.30 to set up the hall, thank you to everyone who's assisted over the years with that and the end of the day. As ever it was a superb day which was as much about people and friends as it was model railways and thankfully we had the chance to properly thank Tim, Maddy, Michelle et al for all the work over the years and thank you to to everyone else such as Nadine and Ruth who have helped man the wonderful food provision over the years. Half a ham'n'hen pie is now in the freezer until next weekend. To all the exhibitors over the years, thank you, I think this year summed it up perfectly, everything from the best of finescale material through modern technology through to the bizarre (yes, that's Stu!).

It is the end of an era and I appreciate how many hours Tim has put into it all, let's see what happens from here but it's rare that such a sustainable event has been achieved through good leadership and the goodwill and charity of many including some of the finest modellers I know. It' was all done for the love of the hobby and friends.

Yesterday's charity auction raised £298.00 which adds to the substantial donations made over the years.

• RMweb Gold

Although, I have only been going to this event for the last three years I can only echo the comments made by others all ready. 

For me it is the highlight of the year, not only for the modelling but for the sheer camaraderie and friendliness of all attending. I do hope that the event will continue after CK's (well deserved) retirement.

Many, many thanks, once again to Tim and the team.

And finally, just a few photos from yesterday,

Cheers,

Aidan

post-19351-0-77825100-1461574649_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-71226400-1461574666_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-53551700-1461574683_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-23630400-1461574700_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-81321900-1461574728_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-98132400-1461574746_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-77825100-1461574649_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-71226400-1461574666_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-53551700-1461574683_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-23630400-1461574700_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-81321900-1461574728_thumb.jpg

post-19351-0-98132400-1461574746_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

Thanks for the kind comments about the show, it's very much appreciated.

Here are a few of my photos taken at Bishops Lydeard on the Saturday afternoon and at the hall on the Sunday.

The last arrival of the day at Bishops Lydeard, with Kinlet Hall on the front. Look carefully at the character leaning out of the first door droplight of the first coach:

post-57-0-60282400-1461574386.jpg

On Tamerigg Central Andy gives the APT a helping hand to achieve orbital velocity:

post-57-0-19240200-1461574474.jpg

post-57-0-11555400-1461574534.jpg

The APT looked quite at home amongst the steam era stock on Tamerigg:

post-57-0-45414500-1461574550.jpg

Just after 0800 on Sunday morning, and the setting up has already begun:

post-57-0-82564500-1461574584.jpg

Some 'hireable muscle' waiting to help bring the next layout to arrive in from the car park (St Simon, Mr.S.Corn78 and Phil-b259):

post-57-0-34251500-1461574610.jpg

Don't know who it was behind me that Andy was waving at, whilst in conversation with Rod (10800)!

post-57-0-37576700-1461574760.jpg

Ian (tomparryharry) setting up Streetley:

post-57-0-57406100-1461574788.jpg

The modular layouts were excellent, as ever, as evidenced by this superb model of Chard Central station by Godfrey Glyn:

post-57-0-15378100-1461574805.jpg

Setting up continues:

post-57-0-25167200-1461574868.jpg

More photos to follow.

• RMweb Gold

Phil-b259 helps Eric (Burgundy) in with 'Vintners Yard':

post-57-0-29123000-1461575027.jpg

Graham Muz kindly acted as the Assistant Deputy Chief Car Park Attendant, seen here in a lull in the proceedings, whilst the Baron von Harrap comes outside to see why things are so quiet:

post-57-0-55714200-1461575081.jpg

Some of the goodies brought up by Chris Trerise of Kernow Model Rail Centre for sale:

post-57-0-72872500-1461575110.jpg

Caption competition material if you like, mine would be 'Stubby was sure that the instructions mentioned a second rail':

post-57-0-93734700-1461575121.jpg

St Simon seems very happy at the prospect of another brew, whilst Kim Clifford (Mrs Queensquare) looks on:

post-57-0-57923400-1461575178.jpg

Pugsley seems to be enjoying his stint behind the catering counter:

post-57-0-72984100-1461575224.jpg

Some of David Brandreths exquisite models on display on the Missenden Abbey stand:

post-57-0-59053200-1461575249.jpg

The Patiala monorail layout continues to attract debate, as his layout thread goes 'live' during the day:

post-57-0-75855200-1461575285.jpg

Paul (Devonbelle), Graham Muz and John F (Re6/6) contemplate which cakes to have next:

post-57-0-20844100-1461575332.jpg

Maurice Hopper realises that he is now being delivered of the correct pasty!

post-57-0-48030000-1461575407.jpg

Chris and Sam on the Kernow Model Rail Centre stand:

post-57-0-52361000-1461575420.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I tell you, this job's not worth a sausage.  I dunno why I do it?

post-6859-0-94790800-1461576615.jpeg

(sorry to have missed this very special year Tim and all the best for the future for you and Maddy.  Fortunately nobody was shot at the theatre on Saturday evening but had there been a Mrs Lincoln present I would have loved to know what she thought of the play - weren't impressed.  Mind you the grub was good)

• RMweb Gold

I've now checked the takings from yesterday, and I'm pleased to announce that, after deducting catering costs, we appear to have made a grand total of £432.40 and 5 Rupees for The Railway Children charity, this being a combination of the catering sales, the auction **, the collection tins at the catering counter and some kind donations.

Well done everyone, that's a great figure.

I think the rupees were a donation from the elephant on the monorail.

** I have taken account of one remaining sum from the auction that is coming to me by cheque.

Archived