Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, checkrail said:

Thanks Barry.  That's reassuring.  Thank too to Mike @Limpley Stokerfor comments.  The brown marker pen sounds like a good idea.  I use one like that to touch up the brown painted tops of check and wing rails after track cleaning.  I once tried painting the coach window reveals but couldn't do it neatly enough.  Maybe masking tape along the coach side would have helped.

I’m sure your hand is steady enough, John!  Any ink straying on to the cream paint can be wiped off with a moist finger before it dries! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Barry.  That's reassuring.  Thank too to Mike @Limpley Stokerfor comments.  The brown marker pen sounds like a good idea.  I use one like that to touch up the brown painted tops of check and wing rails after track cleaning.  I once tried painting the coach window reveals but couldn't do it neatly enough.  Maybe masking tape along the coach side would have helped.

I’m sure your hand is steady enough, John!  Any ink straying on to the cream paint can be wiped off with a moist finger before it dries! 

• RMweb Gold

I’m sure your hand is steady enough, John!  Any ink straying on to the cream paint can be wiped off with a moist finger before it dries!  It doesn’t show on the glazing in normal light but resembles nicotine staining on transillumination !

• Informative/Useful 3

23 hours ago, sjrixon said:

That low siphon, what's going on with the middle wheel? 

It is my chosen method to keep the middle wheel on the rail without allowing the whole vehicle to sea-saw on the centre axle.  the centre wheel runs in brass tube with a long piece of steel wire set to keep the wheel on the track. My line has inclines which cause an issue at the base and peak.

I also use this on 4-4-0 loco tenders, which often have limited hauling power due to the weight being thrown forward. I weight up the front of the tender and sit the tender on the back of the cab area. The front and middle wheels carry no weight as the tender weight is transferred to the back of the loco. and the haulage capacity of the 4-40 is increased.

Here is a similar floating middle wheel arrangement on a Palethorpes 6 wheel sausage van and on a  6 wheel version from the Parkside Beatle with the same floating middle wheel.

Mike Wiltshire

DSCF2261.JPG.31c272c81b1aeba93934142176437ab9.JPG

1329063110_6whhel.Beatle.JPG.1138e1c0c9dcb0b44687d5dcedc46e0b.JPG

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Graham T said:

John, I just noticed that you also have signal wire running on the posts  What did you use?

The signal wires are a fairly recent addition, though the posts (MSE/Wizard Models) have been in place for some years.  The wires are EZ line, recommended to me by Andy Y during his 2019 photoshoot - in then took me nearly four years to getting round to obtaining some and installing it.  Good stuff in that it's very stretchy but springs back into place after the inevitable knocks.

I've only put one wire in so far just to see how I got on with it but I intend to add more in due course.  Some lines of posts go to more than one signal, and of course, by implication, some signalss, e.g. distants, are offscene.

It's nice that someone noticed them!

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, checkrail said:

The signal wires are a fairly recent addition, though the posts (MSE/Wizard Models) have been in place for some years.  The wires are EZ line, recommended to me by Andy Y during his 2019 photoshoot - in then took me nearly four years to getting round to obtaining some and installing it.  Good stuff in that it's very stretchy but springs back into place after the inevitable knocks.

I've only put one wire in so far just to see how I got on with it but I intend to add more in due course.  Some lines of posts go to more than one signal, and of course, by implication, some signalss, e.g. distants, are offscene.

It's nice that someone noticed them!

Thanks for that John.  I think I might even have some EZ Wire, it's probably hidden in a draw somewhere!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, checkrail said:

As the pannier passes the signal box we see the new box nameplate, recently supplied by @Harlequinof this parish.  Thanks Phil!  The brickwork below the original slightly longer plate wasn't too bad and only needed a bit of touching up with red/orange paint. 

1203727386_bg2(2).jpg.0c1e086601d5de553b8cc825e47ab3ab.jpg

The nameplate looks "proper job". You've made a beautiful job of it, thanks John!

😊

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, checkrail said:

The mogul is one from the first Dapol batch, with ridiculously high gearing, so I never drive it at more than speed step 18 or 20 (out of 126).  Its haulage power isn't great either - it struggles with 20 wagons - but it looks nice and will do me.  I believe the second batch was better in some of these respects.

The second batch of Moguls are not yet with us but they should have improved gearing. 🤞

I found that setting the decoder speed curve to a very shallow slope makes mine a bit more driveable.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5