Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Aren't fiddle yards a ruddy nuisance? I've had to devote half of my layout space to somewhere just to park trains...

Agreed, but what are the alternatives?

-hand crane trains on/off after each run?

-only run the number of trains that we can hold in loops/sidings in the scenic side of the layout?

- or what??

While on the current extent of Bradenham (see my Lower Thames Yard thread), I only have 5 loops I do have the advantage of the 4 stub sidings that will eventually lead to a second larger fiddle yard. So I can use these either to store spare locos or to store short trains such as 14xx+autocoach, single car DMUs, Engine+van, etc, or a combination of the two.

Realising the effects of a lack of storage is why I am planning to add a small MPD to the layout, which as it is an imaginary station but at a real place, I can just apply Rule 1.

It will get rid of some of the spare locos!

John, I like the point motors, they might be the answer for the above referred to MPD where I don't want to drill more holes through the baseboard to mount them below.

Cheers All,

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Agreed, but what are the alternatives?

-hand crane trains on/off after each run?

-only run the number of trains that we can hold in loops/sidings in the scenic side of the layout?

- or what??

Win the pools (whatever they were) and buy a much bigger house - or just a much bigger railway room.  (But not really - very happy with what I've got and where I am.)

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Win the pools (whatever they were) and buy a much bigger house - or just a much bigger railway room.  (But not really - very happy with what I've got and where I am.)

You'd still end up with a big fiddle yard - just bigger...

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

John. On the OR van put a scalpel between the black floor and the white body and gently prise them apart.;) They do/should come away and clip back together easily.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Morning John, how did you get the Gibson wheels to fit your OR van as mine just fall out. Did you have to fit wheel bearings perhaps.

Ha!  I have (I think) three OR wagons and each time I come to replace the wheels I find I've forgotten how frustratingly unstraightforward it is!  Step 1: insert Gibson wheels, then find that the axles are shorter than the OR ones and - as you say - they just fall out,  Step 2: Thinks! Put the Gibson wheels on the OR axles - brilliant! Then find that the OR axles are slimmer and the new wheels just slide sloppily along the axles,  Step 3:  Curse and swear mightily and wonder why these things can't be standardised,  Step 4:  Hold the Gibson wheels in gauge on the OR axles with a back-to-back gauge and superglue or epoxy them in place (taking care not to glue the b-b gauge to the wheels - been there ,,,, )  Voila!  A pain. but better than those shiny silver steamroller wheels,  And don't start me on those OR couplings which give about half a wagon-length between vehicles. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2022 at 21:42, checkrail said:

Step 2: Thinks! Put the Gibson wheels on the OR axles - brilliant! 

This was the way I went and it works.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Do you have issues with NEM pockets on the OR wagons?  I've found the ones on my Toad are too short for swallowtails.

Hopefully John won’t mind me jumping in with my solution as I still use tension locks on my goods wagons.

A9A09B02-7D78-405A-8DD9-A2FFD9913777.jpeg.874cbe1a74b6df6f8cf6a7988cd016ed.jpeg

After first cutting back the Oxford NEM(ish) pocket, I snipped the tails off a Bachmann short tension lock. This was epoxied into the shortened slot and pinned with a piece of 0.5mm wire for ‘belt & braces’. This works a treat. On the other end I’ve removed the pocket altogether and fitted an Accurascale Instanter coupling.

I’ve also done something similar on my KMRC NBL Warship. Hopefully a Rapido wagon will be arriving soon and, from photos in the press, I think a similar dodge will be needed here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2022 at 16:15, AlfaZagato said:

Do you have issues with NEM pockets on the OR wagons?  I've found the ones on my Toad are too short for swallowtails.

Just found out that RMweb is up & running again, so busy catching up,  Thanks to Andy Y for his heroic work - sounds like a right nightmare.

Re OR couplings my treatment is similar to Trevor's.  I shorten NEM pockets and tails on all makes of stock (gluing the coupling back into the pocket) so that the coupling loop is in line with the buffer faces, Gives closer coupling but still goes round the 30" curves on the Peco points at the entrance to the fiddleyard.  I have also been known to fuse the tails into the pocket with an old soldering iron,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, steve fay said:

Can I ask what backscene you have used ? 

Hi Steve.  Having just dug out the tube they came in back in 2016 I can now tell you that they are from Gaugemaster, GM702. "Countryside Backscene (Large)."  I liked their slightly faded distant look.  I cut the sky elements off and about two thirds of the bottom of the landscape parts to give that sense of distance and wide open spaces (as the Dixie Chicks might say) and glued them to a plywood backscene pre-painted with Dulux "Mineral mist".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3