Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

Back in the 70s, I had a Hornby Princess Elizabeth which had a piece of brass on one of the tender axles which scraped on a sheet of sandpaper to make a chuffing noise...

It sounded just like that...

Now it takes a 100 quid's worth of electronics to produce the same noise...

Progress, hey?

Al.

Your right Al, I'll stick it on a Slow Freight later and Video it again, the difference is remarkable.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

I loved the Castle video but I'm no expert on what they really sound like.  But at least the "chuffs" seemed to be in sync with the valve gear which I have heard is sometimes a problem with DCC sound locos.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Andy,

I loved the Castle video but I'm no expert on what they really sound like.  But at least the "chuffs" seemed to be in sync with the valve gear which I have heard is sometimes a problem with DCC sound locos.

Regards,

Brian.

Your right Brian, and TBH I'm still not 100% sure about this one, I'm downloading another short Video it in the Yard and on the Slow Goods.

Diesels are definitely a more realistic sound.

Whilst waiting for the New Video to Download, I've modified and fitted the Ratio Distant Signal, removing the Spectacle Plate and fixing the Arm to the Post, thanks to the ever helpful Mike, The Stationmaster.

post-9335-0-72677200-1502380262_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-86546900-1502380287_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

And at last, another short Video of Clun Castle.

AND I MESSED UP THE SUB TITLES. :no:  :no: 

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I still don't think the Steam Sounds are as good as the Diesels.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

To me there are only 4 exhaust beats per revolution when it's a four cylinder engine so that should make 8 beats, should it not?

Not a clue Jonathan, I know about Car Engines, but that'e as far as it goes, this is all new stuff to me a far as Beats etc go.

I hope someone can explain.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I still don't think the Steam Sounds are as good as the Diesels.

I'm afraid I agree with you in this case. I find that very uninspiring - nothing like as good as your little 4F for instance.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

To me there are only 4 exhaust beats per revolution when it's a four cylinder engine so that should make 8 beats, should it not?

I don't think so Jonathan, each cylinder should exhaust once for each full revolution, shouldn't it?

Each cylinder will be set on the crank a quarter turn apart.

Al.

Edited by acg_mr

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, Castles have 4 cylinders, 2 outside the frames, 2 inside the frames. Each will exhaust once from the front half and once from the rear half of each cylinder per wheel revolution, making 8 exhaust beats (or chuffs) per revolution. Changing the CVs will alter how many chuffs there are per revolution but on ESU ones I have forgotten which it is (57 or 58?) and my handbook is at my other home.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think so Jonathan, each cylinder should exhaust once for each full revolution, shouldn't it?

Each cylinder will be set on the crank a quarter turn apart.

Al.

Steam engines have double acting cylinders. Steam enters each side of the piston alternately. A member has Walschaert's valve gear demo as his avatar but I cannot remember who.

I'm afraid I agree with you in this case. I find that very uninspiring - nothing like as good as your little 4F for instance.

Al.

Yes Al, I have to say  my Howes Sound BR Std's, (4, 5, 8,and 9) the Black 5's and Bulleids are a much better Sound, now tomorrow I will try and do a run with my Bachmann Patriot, again it's a Factory Sound job, so it will be interesting to gauge reaction.

• RMweb Gold

Patriots are 3 cylinder engines so that's 6 exhaust beats per wheel revolution.

I did some Googling on ESU CVs, Andy (they cannot touch you for it, as Ken Dodd says)

You need a rolling road really. Set loco going on speed step 1 (of 128) and change CV 57 until there are 8 chuffs per one wheel revolution, the lower the number the higher the number of chuffs. Then increase speed to about 10 and change CV 58 so that there are 8 chuffs per wheel revolution. Hope you can count fast!!. If all else fails you can always do a reset.

Patriots are 3 cylinder engines so that's 6 exhaust beats per wheel revolution.

I did some Googling on ESU CVs, Andy (they cannot touch you for it, as Ken Dodd says)

You need a rolling road really. Set loco going on speed step 1 (of 128) and change CV 57 until there are 8 chuffs per one wheel revolution, the lower the number the higher the number of chuffs. Then increase speed to about 10 and change CV 58 so that there are 8 chuffs per wheel revolution. Hope you can count fast!!. If all else fails you can always do a reset.

That's me done then, I can only count to 5. :no:  :no:  :no:

I'll have a look at that,

Cheers Jonathan.

Is anyone going to the Milton Keynes Show tomorrow?

I've never been to this one before and so I'm hoping it'll be a good one, there's a good selection of Layouts, and as far as I can see, there are none there that I've seen before. There's also some good Traders attending.

It seem's strange that it's not in the Exhibition Diary on here though.