Jump to content

GW Dean Era Coaches


Recommended Posts

As per my New Year tradition, my website GW Dean Coaches has received its annual update.  The pages about bogie clerestory coaches have been extended to cover more designs and include many new photos.
 
There are two completely new pages  The first was promoted by this topic Mysterious Dean PBV, and covers bogie Passenger Brake Vans and similar coaches.  If you read through the page Non-Passenger Bogie Coaches you'll see that diagram K13 is missing.  What I do know about K13 is that is was converted from some other design in 1897.  The list of K diagrams is in order of build or conversion.  Both K12 & K14 were built in 1897 and no other PBVs were built that year, so it must be a conversion. That's it!  Any suggestions as to what it was please?

 

The second new page is Unidentified Coaches and has a few photos of coaches that I can't identify.  I'm sure that I'll be adding some more photos later in the year! So, fellow GW coach experts, I'd like your input please.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had assumed that when K14s, K15s and K16s had their duckets removed, they came under a generic K29, but only thinking about it, I suppose a differentiation needed to be retained because of the non-corridor on the ex-K14/15 and the corridor on the  ex-K16. (It's not clear though why new diagrams were thought to be necessary merely because of the ducket removal.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had assumed that when K14s, K15s and K16s had their duckets removed, they came under a generic K29, but only thinking about it, I suppose a differentiation needed to be retained because of the non-corridor on the ex-K14/15 and the corridor on the  ex-K16. (It's not clear though why new diagrams were thought to be necessary merely because of the ducket removal.)

Perhaps they just thought , Oh Ducket.

Cheque please.....

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

I had a quick look at your new pages as I'm always interested in this sort of research/resource. I had supposed that there wouldn't be anything directly useful to me, but I was surprised to recognise one of the vehicles as one I had photographed in 1964.

It's the Q14 Diesel generator van, which took my interest in a parcels train at Oxford, and is something I'd like to model at some point.

 

post-6902-0-33233800-1514892977_thumb.jpg

 

I think it shows the opposite side to your reference photo, you are welcome to use it if it will be helpful.

 

Thanks

 

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The K13 could that be the first unidentified coach on your web site which was rebuilt as the prototype K14-16 and retained its old number. Was it involved in a mishap and a new body was built to replace the old badly damaged one, and was decided to try four pairs of doors against two for faster loading/unloading at stations.

 

Also what was the difference between the K6 as built and rebuilt as the K7/8.

 

I've found this week that K12 only covered one of the 2 royal brakes. K13 was the other, supposedly a mirror image. I've been going through royal train photos to get decent photos of both designs.

 

I'm not sure at the moment about the differences between K7/8. I THINK K7 had no guards duckets. It's one of the things on my list for my next visit to York.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had assumed that when K14s, K15s and K16s had their duckets removed, they came under a generic K29, but only thinking about it, I suppose a differentiation needed to be retained because of the non-corridor on the ex-K14/15 and the corridor on the  ex-K16. (It's not clear though why new diagrams were thought to be necessary merely because of the ducket removal.)

If it helps, here is a scan of a K29 etch available a couple of years back - a rebuilt K15 with look outs removed, some panel/door plated over and new roof layout. This etch was specific to van no 246.

post-9992-0-12745000-1515196165_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

It's update time again.  I've received over 300 coach diagrams scanned from the collection of the late Jack Slinn.  Very kindly scanned by Jonathan David.  Scanning has not been an easy job as most drawings are bigger than his scanner and so required to be scanned in 2 or 3 sections.  Thank you Jonathan.  These are all original GWR drawings so there are no mistakes due to inaccurate copying.  But that hasn't stopped the GWR drawing office from making mistakes!  So far I've only put a few drawings on the passenger bogie coach pages.
 

There is a new page listing all of the bogie coaches built in the Dean era.  http://www.penrhos.me.uk/LotListBogie.shtml.  The coaches are listed in build order and the list includes the all important Lewis classification.  I hope you like the GWR colours, although to my eyes the dark stone looks a bit purple, but I'm told it's the right colour.  Theere is also a new Lewis code that has not been used previously, see if you can find it.

 

  • Thanks 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

Malcolm , I'm assuming that you are referring to the newly added list of bogie coaches?  At the moment some of the designs can be found on the other pages (blue circle) and the bogie type, wheelbase is generally given (red circle).

 image.png

 

2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Impressive work. Are the scanned drawings available to purchase/download?

 

You are free to download all of the drawings.  I do have larger versions of the JN Slinn drawings available. Please email me via the link in the exchange sidings if you want specific drawings.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Penrhos1920
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

 

 

 

Malcolm , I'm assuming that you are referring to the newly added list of bogie coaches?  At the moment some of the designs can be found on the other pages (blue circle) and the bogie type, wheelbase is generally given (red circle).

 image.png

 

 

You are free to download all of the drawings.  I do have larger versions of the JN Slinn drawings available. Please email me via the link in the exchange sidings if you want specific drawings.

 

 

 

 

 

Doh! Yes, that's what I was interested in! Is there a source of drawings for the Dean bogies of different lengths? Are they (bogies or side frames) available commercially?

 

 

For information only. The drawings/pictures for C16, C22 and C79 are missing. There is a ? in their place.

 

Edited by malcolmcelyn
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

All 3 sizes of Dean bogies are available from 247 Developments,  sorry no link.

 

 

 

4 minutes ago, timbowilts said:

Dean bogies in various lengths are also available from Stafford Road on Shapeways, if you are flush with money :laugh_mini2:

Tim T

Any 7mm scale suppliers?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Slater's do 7mm clerestories, so you should be able to get 8ft 6ins bogies from them,  David White has always been obliging when I have wanted 4mm bits.

 

Slaters offers the Dean bogie in three variants for the 7mm modeller:-

 

* 6'4" wb comes with the Clerestory Composite coach;

* 8'6" wb comes with the Clerestory all third and brake third coach;

* 10'0" wb comes with...  just available as a separate item (and is one of Slater's better kept secrets).

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, malcolmcelyn said:

 

For information only. The drawings/pictures for C16, C22 and C79 are missing. There is a ? in their place.

 

 

You must have been looking whilst I was doing another update - the photos take longer to upload.

 

LATEST UPDATE 

 

1). I’ve added diagram T41 to the Brake third.  At the moment it’s just a place holder, rather like T40, as I don’t know how many were converted or when.

 

2). To the Bogie Designs in Historic Order page I added the conversions that I know.  As bogie designs aren’t my main interest I’m aware of some obvious gaps, eg I’m sure that all designs that had lookouts have a corresponding design without lookouts, also D2 probably had half of the compartments converted into a luggage van, the early sleepers were converted to ordinary coaches.  http://www.penrhos.me.uk/LotListBogie.shtml

 

3). I received  a query about E26 vs E28.  Well I’ve been able to get drawings for them so they are available here: http://www.penrhos.me.uk/Clerestories.shtml#E26

 

4). There is another new page!  I been given scans of the GWR drawings collected by JN Slinn who has authored several books.  There are over 300 of just Dean era coaches at the last count.  So far I’ve added 10% of them both on the here http://www.penrhos.me.uk/JackSlinnCollection.shtml and on the diagram pages.  That also means that I’ve added information about 20 A and C diagrams that previously haven’t been mentioned.

 

Sorry if you find this page loads slowly but it’s not my fault that the geeks haven't designed a super fast internet yet!

 

What do you think about the colours on http://www.penrhos.me.uk/LotListBogie.shtml ?  I’ve tried to use Coach colours but ran out after brown, cream and crimson lake.  So I added loco green, dark and light stone, but I’m not too sure about the latter pair.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

 

You must have been looking whilst I was doing another update - the photos take longer to upload.

 

LATEST UPDATE 

 

1). I’ve added diagram T41 to the Brake third.  At the moment it’s just a place holder, rather like T40, as I don’t know how many were converted or when.

 

2). To the Bogie Designs in Historic Order page I added the conversions that I know.  As bogie designs aren’t my main interest I’m aware of some obvious gaps, eg I’m sure that all designs that had lookouts have a corresponding design without lookouts, also D2 probably had half of the compartments converted into a luggage van, the early sleepers were converted to ordinary coaches.  http://www.penrhos.me.uk/LotListBogie.shtml

 

3). I received  a query about E26 vs E28.  Well I’ve been able to get drawings for them so they are available here: http://www.penrhos.me.uk/Clerestories.shtml#E26

 

4). There is another new page!  I been given scans of the GWR drawings collected by JN Slinn who has authored several books.  There are over 300 of just Dean era coaches at the last count.  So far I’ve added 10% of them both on the here http://www.penrhos.me.uk/JackSlinnCollection.shtml and on the diagram pages.  That also means that I’ve added information about 20 A and C diagrams that previously haven’t been mentioned.

 

Sorry if you find this page loads slowly but it’s not my fault that the geeks haven't designed a super fast internet yet!

 

What do you think about the colours on http://www.penrhos.me.uk/LotListBogie.shtml ?  I’ve tried to use Coach colours but ran out after brown, cream and crimson lake.  So I added loco green, dark and light stone, but I’m not too sure about the latter pair.

Typical of me to look during an update! Can I just reiterate others' thanks for compiling such an useful collection of drawings and pictures. I know relatively little about coaching stock, but what a fabulous place to start learning!

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...