Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

11 hours ago, Annie said:

Amazing!  Finally someone has made a Manning-Wardle 'K' for Trainz.  This is 'Sharpthorn' which is preserved on static display at the Bluebell Railway.

Having been used originally by Joseph Firbank, the contractor for the Lewes & East Grinstead Railway, hence the name (after the tunnel still used by the present Bluebell Railway near West Hoathly).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

Having been used originally by Joseph Firbank, the contractor for the Lewes & East Grinstead Railway, hence the name (after the tunnel still used by the present Bluebell Railway near West Hoathly).

Thanks for those background notes Tom.

• RMweb Premium

The GER E22 models I commissioned earlier in the year will be ready soon and I can hardly wait for them to arrive.

These images are test renders by the way and are not the actual models themselves exported into Trainz.

J3awM57.png

gYO7yQv.png

Edited by Annie
More information
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

A really excellent Broad Gauge era photo I've found of the station at St. Ives.  Definitely a nice morning Cheer Up picture for me.

I want to make a start on overhauling the St. Ives branch on my WIP early 1930s Penzance to Camborne and Branches project and finding photos like this one are going to be very useful.

FSwUmcE.jpg

geT7oOO.jpg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

The E22's have now been uploaded into the Trainz simulator and the report from their maker Connor Law looks to be very good.

hQ8unIM.png

Edited by Annie
Um.........
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm..... I have noted a lack of interest in my last message about my lovely E22.  Names will be taken and there will be consequences.

Behold! Blackwall station in 1893.  Very much 'Minories' simplified, but with wharves and ships added.  The GER Society has an interesting 1927 article about the Blackwall Railway and the Disused Stations website has some interesting information as well.

http://disused-stations.org.uk/b/blackwall/index.shtml

5YlSfy5.jpg

Edited by Annie
Added a link to Disused Stations website
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

4 hours ago, Annie said:

Hmmm..... I have noted a lack of interest in my last message about my lovely E22.  Names will be taken and there will be consequences.

Try a cat photo instead, that seems to work. Or your lunch. 🙂

On 02/08/2023 at 22:25, Annie said:

A really excellent Broad Gauge era photo I've found of the station at St. Ives.  Definitely a nice morning Cheer Up picture for me.

I want to make a start on overhauling the St. Ives branch on my WIP early 1930s Penzance to Camborne and Branches project and finding photos like this one are going to be very useful.

FSwUmcE.jpg

geT7oOO.jpg

This made my day. Thanks Annie!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Try a cat photo instead, that seems to work. Or your lunch. 🙂

Don't tempt me Mikkel.  Seeing as my daughter and I have only just adopted a cat it could happen.

4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

This made my day. Thanks Annie!

It certainly made mine.  This is the first photo I've found that shows the other side of the original Broad Gauge era station building.

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

I found the second picture of St. Ives very good, with a whole selection of fish trucks drawn up for loading.

I have Trainz simulator models for most of those fish trucks too.  The urge to create St. Ives in Broad Gauge days is very strong.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Annie said:

The urge to create St. Ives in Broad Gauge days is very strong.

[RMweb chorus enters upstage, and begins to chant, growing louder]

Chorus: “do it … do it … do it … DO IT!”

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, magmouse said:

[RMweb chorus enters upstage, and begins to chant, growing louder]

Chorus: “do it … do it … do it … DO IT!”

Alright you've talked me into it.  It's something I've been thinking about for a while anyway.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/08/2023 at 20:19, Annie said:

J3awM57.png

Yum :)

On 02/08/2023 at 21:25, Annie said:

geT7oOO.jpg

See, who needs fiddle yards or special sidings?  "Jus' bump 'er down the end, there, my beauty!" Any info/guesses on what vehicle is the tiny thing three in from the end on the right/seaward siding? Were there convertible 4-wheel wagons?

Also, good gate/lamp/basket details. Noted.

On 03/08/2023 at 03:27, Annie said:

looks to be very good.

Agreed.

19 hours ago, Annie said:

with wharves and ships added

Ideal!

10 hours ago, Annie said:

Seeing as my daughter and I have only just adopted a cat it could happen.

Photos.

6 hours ago, Annie said:

Alright you've talked me into it.

Breaking strain of a wet Kitkat! Woop woop, looking forward to seeing it as and when :)

Top catch ups, thanks for the wonderful content Annie :)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Schooner said:

Any info/guesses on what vehicle is the tiny thing three in from the end on the right/seaward siding? Were there convertible 4-wheel wagons?

i would say that from what I can see it is a Broad Gauge wagon, but something with a narrow body.  The sides seem to have a taper as if it's a hopper wagon of some kind.  Definitely a new one to me.

Yum :)

Very soon to be downloaded and given a test run, - standby for pictures.

Photos.

A photo my daughter took with her cell phone.  At present he/she is still being called 'Grey Fluffy Cat' as we can't think of a suitable name for her/him as yet.

ogfMpO6.jpg

Breaking strain of a wet Kitkat! Woop woop, looking forward to seeing it as and when :)

See, who needs fiddle yards or special sidings?  "Jus' bump 'er down the end, there, my beauty!" Any info/guesses on what vehicle is the tiny thing three in from the end on the right/seaward siding? Were there convertible 4-wheel wagons?

Also, good gate/lamp/basket details. Noted.

As I mentioned I was thinking of doing a Broad Gauge version of St. Ives anyway so I didn't need much of a push.

It's a simple terminus, - in fact the whole of the branchline is very simple and without complications.  I have a head start as an older Trainz layout of St Ives circa the 1930s or so already exists so all that is needed is to suppress anything modern, lay Broad Gauge trackwork and give it a good tidy up.

COtm0l2.jpg

Top catch ups, thanks for the wonderful content Annie :)

No problem at all Schooner glad you liked it.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I don't know the first thing about the GER but I do like those captures.

16 hours ago, Annie said:

Alright you've talked me into it.  It's something I've been thinking about for a while anyway.

Oh goody, can't wait! 

5 hours ago, Annie said:

At present he/she is still being called 'Grey Fluffy Cat' as we can't think of a suitable name for her/him as yet.

A relative adopted a deaf stray dog some time ago. She still hasn't given it a name because, as she says, it doesn't matter since it can't hear anything.  I find that philosophically interesting, and a bit confusing 🙂

Edited by Mikkel
Improving my English
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

The E22s look completely at home at Minories. I do like the sense of light you get under the glass roof - mostly the light in virtual environments is quite poor, but sometimes you get an effect that seems to catch a mood. It is a long way from photo-realistic, but there is something about it that resonates.

Nick.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, magmouse said:

The E22s look completely at home at Minories. I do like the sense of light you get under the glass roof - mostly the light in virtual environments is quite poor, but sometimes you get an effect that seems to catch a mood. It is a long way from photo-realistic, but there is something about it that resonates.

Nick.

That particular roof model seems to work very well when it comes to light and shadow effects.  The strange thing is it was made before the Trainz game engine had been updated to the present more advanced environmental lighting and shadow effects.  It's one of those fortunate circumstances I suppose.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

I don't know the first thing about the GER but I do like those captures.

I'm absolutely thrilled to bits over my new GER E22's Mikkel.  It was plain that nobody wanted to make anny E22's for Trainz so the only way to get one was to commision them to be made.  After the disappointment with other commissions with different makers I've had in the past I couldn't have asked for a better 3D modeller than Connor Law.  He's done a brilliant job.

The E22's had a light axle loading and a tractive effort of only 11,100lbs so they could work just about anywhere on the GER system.  While they could be found on the Blackwall line, they also worked on country branchlines as well.  With my liking for light and minor railways having E22's on the roster was something I very much needed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Schooner said:

Any info/guesses on what vehicle is the tiny thing three in from the end on the right/seaward siding?

It's just possible that it could be one of the five early box wagons built by Braby and Carrs, which  were supplied in 1838-39.  These adopted Brunel’s original concept of placing the wheels outside the body of the vehicle.  Part of one of these early wagons appears in a lithograph by J. C. Bourne of Pangbourne Station.  Probably more likely to be a contractor's wagon, though.

4whlBoxWagon_Bourne.jpg.265437cae5fb5a7b90d013aadbce7c16.jpg

Old vehicles often seemed to end up on West Country broad gauge lines.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

It's just possible that it could be one of the five early box wagons built by Braby and Carrs, which  were supplied in 1838-39.  These adopted Brunel’s original concept of placing the wheels outside the body of the vehicle.  Part of one of these early wagons appears in a lithograph by J. C. Bourne of Pangbourne Station.  Probably more likely to be a contractor's wagon, though.

I think you could be on the right track there Mike from what can be seen of the outer frames in the photo.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/08/2023 at 11:12, Annie said:

Don't tempt me Mikkel.  Seeing as my daughter and I have only just adopted a cat it could happen.

I think that you may be mistaken about the way around these things happen.

• Funny 3

56 minutes ago, sncf231e said:

This looks like a 2-4-0. I thought it was supposed to be a 0-6-0 (like my GER (not an E22)):

000_0141.JPG.db057c409f8aad3ce535f99093c0667b.JPG

Regards

Fred

A broken coupling rod could leave you with a 1-5-0.

• Funny 2