Wentworth Junction

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Nor was I until Mike @The Stationmaster taught me.

If you're standing facing a signal in the direction of travel, anything behind your rear is in rear of you (and therefore anything in front of you is in advance).

Although most loco crew will use 'at' or 'behind' when calling in from an SPT, I don't think they get taught signalling terminology!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

OK, I'm not that good with signalling terminology!

Neither are pway.  But I think that’s cos they define things from the toes of the points not by line direction.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/02/2022 at 21:31, LNERGE said:

I thought the clear call was on the locos from the outset?

268-24 RS xx061983 sml

I have heard stories of it being unpopular with crews as it was attached to the overhead wire. I’d like to know more about it as to work at all the 1500 volt D.C. would have to be true D.C. with no ripple voltage whatsoever. 

It's covered in one of the more recent woodhead books, apparently there was an early (1950s) trial that didn't work well, and the clear call system was fitted to the air braked/multiple working locos when they were converted in 1969 & 1976

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After the gap caused by taking Herculaneum Dock to Bristol work has resumed on Wentworth Junction.

IMG_1221.jpg.f08f291900347afff8dcda71856aa8ee.jpg

Most of the rest of the landscaping can be done from the inside without any need to dismantle the layout - so trains can continue running. The flat area to the left will have some cottages, the first few trees (Bachmann silver birch) are where the remains of Sovereign pit will be. The baseboard joint here is the one designed with possible expansion (for exhibitions only) in mind, the tracks cross at right angles to the join. I've just noticed that the signal is in the wrong place, it should be about 1ft nearer the camera, on the link section break.

325086486_IMG_12331.jpg.40d683eae33e46cc3e9108d2c0ab61a0.jpg

Looking the other way after another couple of day's work, the gouge at the right is where a small stream runs in a culvert under the colliery branch.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

That’s Sheffield, the dirty picture in a golden frame….

I think the least-appropriately named station I ever travelled through was Sheffield Brightside - followed closely by Coatbridge Sunnyside.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I think the least-appropriately named station I ever travelled through was Sheffield Brightside - followed closely by Coatbridge Sunnyside.

Pedantically, just Brightside, the only British station The Killers wrote a song about!

Surrounded by gasworks, steelworks, chemical plants and not the best housing in the city, as an Escafeldian, I regrettably agree with you!

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back to work on Wentworth Junction after two long holidays.

IMG_1730s.jpg.4f0d12ab38cbc5481ce159faaf999c3e.jpg

I wanted to get the landscape complete by the end of August and just about managed it. The two cut outs in the embankment on the up side are for a wooden hut and the big water tower. On the down side just past the loco is a flat area for Strafford sub station, at the far end the land rises to Gilroyd Lane bridge.

IMG_1731s.jpg.98976e91e81e9a3bc71ec1cfe2635658.jpg

The end of the colliery branch isn't quite finished, the bridge needs painting and fixing down first. The plate girder is pure speculation, I've not found any photos showing it and only the right hand abutment survives today.

I've got a few weeks now to turn most of this green and add as many details/buildings as I can before it goes to the Leeds exhibition in October.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The plate girder is pure speculation, I've not found any photos showing it and only the right hand abutment survives today.

If it’s a square abutment rather than the remains of an arch it’s most likely to be a girder construction.

And as you say, no-one can prove otherwise!

Paul.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...