WM Fleetline and Guy Arab Buses - 00 Gauge

rapidoandy

Two more for your delectation, and perhaps Andy's inspiration. Here in a very Coventryesque was is ex WMPTE 6672.  The West Mids tradition was mostly to have the fleetnumber incorporate the reg plate or vice versa.  So the three digits mostly matched the four digit fleet number

Bowker's ex WMPTE Fleetline at Loggerheads.

Ex WMPTE 4611 with the plate JOV611P has become Derby Corporation 368

Derby 268 JOV611P Ex WMPTE 4611 Daimler Fleetline Park Royal

• Like 2

Very pleased with my email from Rapido and Royal Mail to say my parcel will be delivered tomorrow - yippee.

Wonder how many will connect their wiring. Part of me says yes, but I would really really  like mine to run on one of the roadway systems.  Rich's Everard Junction system looks fantastic but is noisy, and I wonder if the weight of the bus might be too heavy for it to work successfully.  

Here's another thought - DCCing the sound of a Fleetline with the gearbox whine and the roar of the Gardner 6LX ?  

• Like 1

Royal Mail delivered today and have to say they look fantastic. One small surprise which Andy should be able to answer concerns the indicators on the earlier batches.  I ordered 6315 6424 and 6981, all in WMPTE blue and cream. A fleet redesign saw the indicators repositioned from above the driver's side window / above the passenger doorway, to a square indicator on the flanks just ahead of the wheel arch. 6425 and 6981 both have the correct design but the model of 6315 seems to be missing it's indicators.   Perhaps you can advise RadidoAndy please ?

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Royal Mail delivered today and have to say they look fantastic. One small surprise which Andy should be able to answer concerns the indicators on the earlier batches.  I ordered 6315 6424 and 6981, all in WMPTE blue and cream. A fleet redesign saw the indicators repositioned from above the driver's side window / above the passenger doorway, to a square indicator on the flanks just ahead of the wheel arch. 6425 and 6981 both have the correct design but the model of 6315 seems to be missing it's indicators.   Perhaps you can advise RadidoAndy please ?

Wasn't the real 6315 built before the design changed? i.e. Indicator above the drivers window / passenger doorway? 

On 13/10/2021 at 17:01, rhnrhn said:

Wasn't the real 6315 built before the design changed? i.e. Indicator above the drivers window / passenger doorway? 

Yes it was, like the West Midlands Bristol VRs and the 40-43xx fleetlines - same body variant. whereas 64xx-7000 had the revised indicators.  

The other two that I have received - 6425 and 6981 are spot on, and 6315 doesn't have the flank indicators like the other two, so Rapido have clearly got the differences right. Just seem to be missing the vertical indicators above the  drivers side window and above the door on the nearside. 

EDIT

The indicators are in the packaging so apologies Rapido

Edited by Covkid

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/10/2021 at 17:12, Covkid said:

The first of mine arrived today including KON315P / 6315. I found the Indicators supplied as a seperate sprue hiding in the instructions, see attached. I also found a bag containing the later type of indicators supplied with WDA981T / 6981 which could be glued over the painted representations to create a degree of relief.

KON315P.JPG

WDA981T.JPG

• Like 1

Morning everyone.

Its been one of those weeks! Unfortunately we have become aware of a little problem with our latest batch of Fleetline and Arab buses. Please read the notice for further information - if you have any issues with your model please do get in touch.

Andy

Bus flyer.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo,

Though not my scale, I splashed out on the WMPTE 63E and received it yesterday, very nice model. In another life I used to travel it, and brings back memories.

Any RMWebbers know the number of the route to Moseley from the centre?  This became my stomping ground

es grüßt

pc 

On 13/10/2021 at 17:01, rhnrhn said:

The changeover point where the new front panel with large square indicators and side lights, and square indicator repeaters on the sides, immediately behind the first panel were introduced was 6341 (KON 341P). The earlier design of losenge indicators on the cantrail above the cab, and entrance door was a continuous feature on BCT and then WMPTE double deck buses from 3475 (BON 475C) in 1965 - a slightly different version was used on the BCT single deck buses, including Fleetlines of the same year. 

There were/are two other routes which travel through Moseley - 35 (via Balsall Heath) and 1 to Acocks Green (via Edgbaston, passing the Cricket Ground). The 1 has at various times started from Five Ways rather than City Centre. 

I received mine a few weeks back (initial WMPTE liveried 6373 - ex Midland Red route 130 allocated to Stourbridge garage) - it’s a great model but I’m thankful I hadn’t attempted to use the lighting yet - there’s a good tutorial in the Rapido news email covering using a 9v power supply. I also got BCT liveried Guy Arab 2994 (JOJ 994), on the 11 Outer Circle - allocated to Acocks Green. I must say the level of detail in the models is absolutely superb - they totally capture the look and are extremely nostalgic for me, as someone who grew up with Birmingham buses as part of the daily streetscape - and chased around the West Midlands trying to see all of them over a couple of decades or more! 

Any chance of a later release with period adverts? Or even more radical, a slight re-tool of the Fleetline as a WMPTE Bristol VR (similar  body and interior - different lower deck rear and front, different chassis detail). 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Or even more radical, a slight re-tool of the Fleetline as a WMPTE Bristol VR (similar  body and interior - different lower deck rear and front, different chassis detail). 

I wonder how big a retool would be required to do the Park Royal bodied versions (the Rapido model is Metro Cammell bodied - as were the Bristol VRs), the main external differences being cantrail arrangement and different shape emergency exit on the top deck, different guttering on the emergency exit on the lower deck.

My second Rapido Fleetline arrived, and I decided to experiment a little further with the power supply voltages. I thought that the lights are very bright at 9V DC, using a wall wart supply that can be switched from 3V to 12V. I stepped the voltage down, trying 7.5V, 6V, 5V and 3V, and the lights worked on all of those settings, but only got noticeably dimmer at 3V and 5V.

The photo shows the two wired together in parallel at the 5V setting. Unfortunately, the camera compensates for the dimmer lighting, so you cannot see the full effect, but it still shows it to some degree. The buses are just posed on a convenient shelf which the power lead could reach.

I have "anonymised" the first model, with a view to further painting to represent a second-hand bus a little tired and past its prime.

3V made the interior lights look good, but it left the headlights a little dim, but with 5V, the interior lights look a little too bright, but the headlights are good. Having said that, the 5V setting seems the best compromise, to me.

IMG20211119151823.jpg.8b4e1b823bebefd8e5304fe2c4b49ac1.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/11/2021 at 15:39, ColinK said:

Has anyone tried painting the unpainted models? If it’s not too difficult I could be tempted.

I doubt there would be a problem with painting the bus, your problem would be sourcing one. AIUI from the proprietor of TTC Diecast, there was only to be a very limited run of unpainted models, something like ten or twenty, which were not to have been advertised. He has a prototype body shell in the shop in Derby which shows just how crisp the moulding  is.   

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2021 at 15:39, ColinK said:

Has anyone tried painting the unpainted models? If it’s not too difficult I could be tempted.

Well, I got one of the unpainted Guy Arab models because I wanted to create a model of the bus I learnt to drive on ...

IMG_0498.JPG.225df181010b3e7070fd46723930b832.JPG

I was expecting the unpainted model to be just that. How wrong I was, this is it after opening the parcel.

IMG_0482.jpeg.d427785b7149ae9b093bc2159bc73b04.jpeg

Some of the parts were tiny eg a separate gear lever about 2mm long. There were no instructions, just the exploded diagram.  I spent one afternoon working out which part went where and the order of assembly.  I painted the parts before assembly. Building it was an interesting challenge, I missed off some of the tiny parts as they were too small to be seen (and fitted) and like flat pack furniture, I had a few bits left over.  The wiring is ingenious, I only managed to get the downstairs lights working, but that's fine as the upstairs was never used on the training bus. Transfers took some finding, but got them due to the help of folk on RMweb.  Putting the model together makes you realise the thought that has gone into it by the designer (brilliant job whoever you are) and the incredible work by the factory assembling them.  Here are cruel close up photos of the finished bus, it's not a perfect replica, but it will do for me.

IMG_1738.JPG.4531e458651d83f8703c27bfe131250d.JPG

IMG_1742.JPG.48937b6c8b8b3ae2a2158cf08640d60a.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG.a6551c6f4accee5bc9ad80d1457a3d75.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Could anyone tell me how easy it would be to change the destination blinds on these? I grew up travelling on these buses in the 80s but my layout is set in Wales. I was thinking of changing the destination to a private charter. 

• RMweb Premium

On my unpainted one I applied the destination transfer onto the inside of the clear destination screen (it stuck!) then painted the back black.

I’m not sure if that would work on the ready painted models.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I understand it Rapido Trains model buses started with the purchase by Jason Shron of a full size Canadian bus. As President of Rapido Trains Inc he thought it might be a good idea to create a 1:87 (HO) scale version of his bus, but in many liveries the prototypes carried in North America. 

As Jason spent some time in Birmingham during his education, the next bus project for Rapido was the Birmingham "standard", more recently followed by the MCW Daimler Fleetline. The quality of these models really takes Britiosh model buses to a whole new level and leaves us wanting more. I initially sensed Rapido's "toe in the water" with the  two Brummie buses, just to see how well they would sell.  I have no idea, but it would be good if "RapidoAndy" could give us a rough idea on sales.  Have they been a success ?  I really hope so.

This takes us to Rapido model bus No 4 - the Titfield Thunderbolt Bedford OB.  Really cannot see this model having any problems in sales, largely because of the prospect of as many liveries as you can shake a stick at over the last sixty or seventy years. So there we have it - hoping there is enough momentum within Rapido Trains to continue with the model bus and coach market.  Obviously we all have our preferences and wishlists, and wish Rapido well with their projects.          

• Agree 3

As an addition to Covkid’s post about Rapido’s buses. When modelling the GM “New Look” bus Rapido did not just go with a generic model but paid attention to the variations to be found. For example, the Toronto version has a double width rear exit and other versions have air conditioning units as appropriate for the company modelled. The liveries are spot on too. There have been other versions of the GM bus but none have captured the shape as well. The same attention to detail applies even to the underside of coaches as well. Rapido does their research.

Usual disclaimer applies.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

I got the impression that the second batch of Guy Arabs didn’t sell very well.  I hope that does not put them off making other buses - an Optare Solo would be useful.   Here is my Guy.

CDBD997A-C784-4FB7-8DD9-28A66F1AC61C.jpeg.1d4674767af426d25710f0e6b9a44bd1.jpeg

On 17/04/2022 at 23:14, Covkid said:

As I understand it Rapido Trains model buses started with the purchase by Jason Shron of a full size Canadian bus. As President of Rapido Trains Inc he thought it might be a good idea to create a 1:87 (HO) scale version of his bus, but in many liveries the prototypes carried in North America. 

As Jason spent some time in Birmingham during his education, the next bus project for Rapido was the Birmingham "standard", more recently followed by the MCW Daimler Fleetline. The quality of these models really takes Britiosh model buses to a whole new level and leaves us wanting more. I initially sensed Rapido's "toe in the water" with the  two Brummie buses, just to see how well they would sell.  I have no idea, but it would be good if "RapidoAndy" could give us a rough idea on sales.  Have they been a success ?  I really hope so.

This takes us to Rapido model bus No 4 - the Titfield Thunderbolt Bedford OB.  Really cannot see this model having any problems in sales, largely because of the prospect of as many liveries as you can shake a stick at over the last sixty or seventy years. So there we have it - hoping there is enough momentum within Rapido Trains to continue with the model bus and coach market.  Obviously we all have our preferences and wishlists, and wish Rapido well with their projects.          

Afternoon!

Well all I will say is watch this space - it may be sooner than you think.

Buses are a harder sell in some ways so we wont see them overtaking the railway offerings but I think there will always be a place for a project or two on the go. If people spend money on Rapido buses it certainly will persuade us to make more!

Thanks,

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Trouble is they are Birmingham prototypes , so fairly specific to that region , although I know the Fleetline may have other users . I would like to see other more widespread buses. For instance an Alexander bodied "D" type Fleetline that was used by the Scottish Bas Group . I've seen Western, Midland , Fife and Eastern examples. Not sure if there were Northern or Highland ones .However , in addition Alexander bodied buses could be found in NBC companies , so lots of colour schemes . I have a feeling that Midland Red may have had them , if that gets it closer to Brum and more likely !!!!!

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Legend said:

I have a feeling that Midland Red may have had them , if that gets it closer to Brum and more likely !!!!!

They did indeed.

My debit card is already whimpering at the possibility.

• Like 1

I'll just restate what I've said before, that the bus and railway modelling fraternity are overdue a decent Leyland National, literally the go anywhere Swiss army knife bus which has been running for 50 years this year and in more colours than you could dream of.  Whilst there were multiple versions of the bus, they were fairly standardised, the 11.3m single door version probably having the edge as the most common style across the country.

And yes, there were hundreds of the things all over Birmingham.

• Agree 2