Using the easy-assembly Finetrax pointwork kits in 00 and EM (and in P4 from the S4 Society)

NFWEM57

The problem as I see it the bulk of the hobby thinks either in small, medium or large, or in radii. Mention switch sizes or crossing angles and their eyes glaze over

If they look at Waynes website they need to easily understand what they are looking at. Now perhaps most of the EM and 00SF customers will have a good idea, as will some of the 00 gauge modellers, but a large number will not have a clue

When talking about small/medium/large is open to a wide interpretation  an A5 may for track builders seem small, but to those customed to RTR its at least a medium !! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The problem as I see it the bulk of the hobby thinks either in small, medium or large, or in radii. Mention switch sizes or crossing angles and their eyes glaze over

If they look at Waynes website they need to easily understand what they are looking at. Now perhaps most of the EM and 00SF customers will have a good idea, as will some of the 00 gauge modellers, but a large number will not have a clue

When talking about small/medium/large is open to a wide interpretation  an A5 may for track builders seem small, but to those customed to RTR its at least a medium !! 

Perhaps the internet can help here. Someone sniffing around these points is already looking to move beyond Peco geometry. If confronted with unfamiliar terminology, a quick google is not beyond anyone interested. Searching on "turnout geometry" quickly leads to guides such as this from the Gauge O Guild: https://www.gaugeoguild.com/manual/02_D2_2_1_1.pdf.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

34 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Perhaps the internet can help here. Someone sniffing around these points is already looking to move beyond Peco geometry. If confronted with unfamiliar terminology, a quick google is not beyond anyone interested. Searching on "turnout geometry" quickly leads to guides such as this from the Gauge O Guild: https://www.gaugeoguild.com/manual/02_D2_2_1_1.pdf.

Possibly but in my experience modellers are looking for something that looks much better than RTR items but still have no idea about crossing angles or switch lengths. I doubt if the Railway Modeller would carry such an article and if they did how many would try and understand it ?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Someone sniffing around these points is already looking to move beyond Peco geometry.

Even Peco call them turnouts. :)

It's surely for Wayne to decide what geometry to adopt and how to explain it to intending customers.

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, hayfield said:

How about some sort of hybrid description, perhaps using the crossing angle and the (nominal) radius? The points that I build for myself could be described as 1 in 5, 30" radius, for example.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Sounds like a brilliant space saver. When will they be available?

Well, because Wayne has announced them way ahead of releasing them, Hornby are now about to "nip in" and (Press) release their intention to make one!

Kev.

• Funny 5

and seeing as Wayne lives in Brighton it needs built in 3rd rail as well. Now there's a thought Wayne could we have  a 3rd and possibly a 4th rail version of your points/switch/turnouts/method of changing tracks(rails)/divergence to keep us Southern/Underground modellers happy. and I don't even drink..........

Keith

Ps Martin is there an option in templot for 3rd/4th rail..........

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2022 at 12:59, Wayne Kinney said:

Should hopefully get the diamond kit out in the next 3 weeks, then followed by a smaller A5 turnout kit.

Stay tuned!

Excellent ideal for industrial applications :) 

• Like 1