• RMweb Gold

The 50s are taking shape. Lessons learnt on 50020 (right) are being applied to what was D400, which is being refurbished as well. I do like the Large Logo livery, so I'm tempted for this to go in the version with the orange stripe, and maybe with a black roof.

20211203_091405.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Your class 50s look awesome.

Thank you. I have another 3 to do the cab job on with 50007 next, where I try and keep as much of the factory paint job as possible. I also have a Vitrains 47 to tinker with over the holiday period which is destined to become 47299 which had an interesting story. https://www.railexpress.co.uk/1986/fate-or-coincidence/ 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sir Ed has been outshopped bar the addition of etched black plates from the Shawplan range. I am currently tweaking Ajax (the one with the black roof) as the ends were a bit wonky compared to the other two, so it will re-emerge in the coming weeks.

I am thinking of making a little diorama for the mantelpiece for them to be viewed from my favourite chair!

DSCF0365.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have completed four Class 50s now, having outshopped Glorious and the reworked Ajax (black roof). The NSE blue patch painted on the cab ends is 50/50 Precision Paints NSE dark and light blue, which is a good match for the Hornby colour, and looks true to my recollection of the loco in the 80s/90s and photographs.

DSCF0366.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't quite happy with the paint job on the new 86622 from Heljan, and on reflection it was slightly out of era for me, so it got converted to an 86/2. Some of the roof detail didn't survive the paint being stripped as it is delicate and it had been firmly glued in place at the factory, so there are some Hornby roof details in the mix. The tail lights were another tricky area, as the red lenses were stuck firmly in place, unlike the 86/0 where they just push out. However some little piece of styrene tube held on with acrylic varnish helped to mask any damage caused trying to remove 2 of them.

A bit of a challenge, this one was, but I'm pleased with the result. If I do another one, then I'll overspray the existing paint job, having rubbed off any tampo printing.

DSCF0377.JPG

DSCF0378.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Fabulous little layout.

brings back memories of that era

Many thanks. I have a pipe dream of incorporating into a larger layout one day, when I have a little more spare time.

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

I wasn't quite happy with the paint job on the new 86622 from Heljan, and on reflection it was slightly out of era for me, so it got converted to an 86/2. Some of the roof detail didn't survive the paint being stripped as it is delicate and it had been firmly glued in place at the factory, so there are some Hornby roof details in the mix. The tail lights were another tricky area, as the red lenses were stuck firmly in place, unlike the 86/0 where they just push out. However some little pieced of styrene tube held on with acrylic varnish helped to mask any damage caused trying to remove 2 of them.

A bit of a challenge, this one was, but I'm pleased with the result. If I do another one, then I'll overspray the existing paint job, having rubbed off any tampo printing.

DSCF0378.JPG

DSCF0377.JPG

Great stuff. I had “fun” stripping down 86634. The windows just would not shift at all. Patience worked in the end. Managed to salvage the other bits but only after some drilling underneath to persuade them to move! The red lights and headlights are still solidly in place though so will require a dab of maskol before painting. I hadn’t noticed the lack of cab roof gutters - how did you resolve those on yours?

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Great stuff. I had “fun” stripping down 86634. The windows just would not shift at all. Patience worked in the end. Managed to salvage the other bits but only after some drilling underneath to persuade them to move! The red lights and headlights are still solidly in place though so will require a dab of maskol before painting. I hadn’t noticed the lack of cab roof gutters - how did you resolve those on yours?

I use 0.3mm styrene Square section. Either pre painted and stuck with thinned acrylic varnish or paint if I want to keep the paint job, or else liquid poly if I don't. Note the little bend at the front. I skimmed off the moulded gutter over the cab doors and sanded carefully beforehand.

20220209_101701.jpg

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

hmm. Perhaps it’s because I’m in Australia, but removing vat makes it £144ish

832666C6-A6ED-497E-BB34-70D30DDC6B44.png.e01f19712eace2ed09951d09e7c37747.png

It’s a VAT inclusive price for the UK, so it’s (186.95/120) * 100 = £155.79 for VAT-exempt sales to overseas.