KR Models - N Gauge Projects?

Steven B

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

How about testing the water with a wagon and what about the Palbrick? Never available RTR in N, no kits either apart from a 3D print body for a Peco chassis, all the CAD work done for the OO variant, likely to attract multiple purchases by single buyers if the price point is right....

Roy

Hi

Not quite true as the 2mm SA do a kit for the Palbrick B & C but it’s etched and you have to be a member to purchase.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately the shadow of DJM still casts over the N Scale Market and a lot of people are now firmly established in the once bitten twice shy camp now where product being shown up front is now essential before parting with any cash.  For those smaller manufacturers who are trying to elicit income through CAD's and promises first, they are going to severely struggle now.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Roy L S said:

How about testing the water with a wagon and what about the Palbrick? Never available RTR in N, no kits either apart from a 3D print body for a Peco chassis, all the CAD work done for the OO variant, likely to attract multiple purchases by single buyers if the price point is right....

Roy

Technically speaking, there is a kit than can be built for N. You just need to be good at putting etches together...

http://2mm.org.uk/products/shops.php?shop_num=2 and search for Palbrick.

I think the only downside is that N gauge injection mouldings tend to have (of practical necessity for structural strength) exposed edges (e.g. sides, ends) that are thicker than the prototype.  And there are an awful lot of those on a Palbrick.

Chris

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PMP said:

Anyone who lost money has my sympathy. I don’t think the King (for KR) was a good choice of GW locomotive and at that specific time probably not good for anyone. The Clayton has always had an ‘X factor’ despite the woeful prototype. It’s done well in OO/O and the same prototype restriction applies in both scales. Had KR kicked off with an N gauge GW Mogul for example, they may have had a very different response. 

(nb I’ve just realised that a GW mogul was a DJM announcement, but no development as such occurred, apart from members here assisting with research)

Indeed a 43XX (or even a modern 61XX) would be a lot more use to a wider range of model layouts than a King (or indeed a Castle or Hall is). But if we are really thinking of doing a Fell or GT3 in N we are perhaps talking more about collectors than modellers. 

A Hastings DEMU would be great, but I tremble to think what it would cost!

But sadly, having lost my money on the King with DJM, I won't be putting any money upfront. Except with Revolution, whom I know and trust to deliver.

Chris 

Edited by Chris Higgs
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Unfortunately the shadow of DJM still casts over the N Scale Market and a lot of people are now firmly established in the once bitten twice shy camp now where product being shown up front is now essential before parting with any cash.  For those smaller manufacturers who are trying to elicit income through CAD's and promises first, they are going to severely struggle now.

I think we need to be a bit careful about hiding behind DJM’s legacy. Yes ok maybe he had more N gauge projects on the go, but he also had a load of OO gauge ones - his 14-car APT was over £1000. I don’t doubt he has switched off some N gauge modellers, but the same is true for OO gauge, and if people keep crying “but DJM…” it feels a bit of a stretch to me. The King is a bit different in that admittedly, given it was literally the same model.  

As I see it - companies announce a OO gauge model and it sells. Job jobbed. They announce an N gauge one and have to work at it to reach critical mass, which they don’t do. So stuff just fades away. KR and Cavalex spring to mind as being guilty of this. again I get why - if a OO gauge project sells itself why would you put the effort in on an N gauge one, but as an N gauge modeller it’s hugely frustrating.

i do agree with some that a wagon may be a good entry to N. The scale means that people probably buy more units than the average OO gauge modeller, and it’s less of an outlay. There are also more ‘obvious’ prototypes to go at, without needing to do some bizarre esoteric one off. 

Edited by njee20
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There was that bizzare going on that even now I don't really understand where KR Models managed to nab the DKM Shark from the ashes but then were suddenly knocked out when EFE under Bachmann brought out that exact same model from the same mould!!

That will have made them a tad reluctant to venture back into N I would wager.

3 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

There was that bizzare going on that even now I don't really understand where KR Models managed to nab the DKM Shark from the ashes but then were suddenly knocked out when EFE under Bachmann brought out that exact same model from the same mould!!

That will have made them a tad reluctant to venture back into N I would wager.

IIRC the Shark got to EP, then DJM changed factory and started all over again.

EFE seems to got the tooling from the first factory and KRM got the CADs from the second factory.

34 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

IIRC the Shark got to EP, then DJM changed factory and started all over again.

EFE seems to got the tooling from the first factory and KRM got the CADs from the second factory.

Guessing because the first factory did not get paid and kept the tooling, was there a second factory or just a CAD that he had in his possession that KR purchased along with the King.

8 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Not quite true as the 2mm SA do a kit for the Palbrick B & C but it’s etched and you have to be a member to purchase.

Cheers

Paul

As a dyspraxic non-member that puts me out of contention on two counts, then......

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Chris Higgs said:

Indeed a 43XX (or even a modern 61XX) would be a lot more use to a wider range of model layouts than a King (or indeed a Castle or Hall is). But if we are really thinking of doing a Fell or GT3 in N we are perhaps talking more about collectors than modellers.  A Hastings DEMU would be great, but I tremble to think what it would cost!

But sadly, having lost my money on the King with DJM, I won't be putting any money upfront. Except with Revolution, whom I know and trust to deliver.

Chris 

I lost money on the DJM King also, but have since paid in full for KR's Fell and DHP1, Accurascale's Deltic and Planet's Kerr Stuart (all sound-fitted) .  I also paid full in advance for a Sonic 56xx.

The only difference was that all of these have been paid for by Visa Credit card (unlike the King) and all are fully documented in case of problems. Each was also only purchased after the card balance had returned to zero from the previous purchase.

Les

Edited by Les1952
typos...

• 4 months later...

Havign seen a post about their website with a new one https://krmodels.net I had a quick look and there is no N gauge products listed on either the shop or coming soon page, given KR models have not commented on this and they are not down as attending TINGS this year, can we assume they are giving up any intention of N gauge?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed-farms said:

Havign seen a post about their website with a new one https://krmodels.net I had a quick look and there is no N gauge products listed on either the shop or coming soon page, given KR models have not commented on this and they are not down as attending TINGS this year, can we assume they are giving up any intention of N gauge?

Thankfully by the looks of it yes!!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

22 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

Thankfully by the looks of it yes!!

Going off the post on facebook where I asked if they had abandoned N gauge owiojg to the lack of epression of interest etc. they respoinded with "Yes, not enough interest" so its safe to say N gauge and KR models is dead

• Agree 1