Hint about SE&CR brake van

Paul.Uni

Now that we have established that Rapido is going to produce some SECR diagram 1558 six wheel brake vans does anyone know whether

931001 no 2033 SECR grey with black underframe and

931002 no 2036 SECR grey 

would both be suitable for running with the Bachmann C class and the other Rapido SECR goods wagons.

I don't know anything about SECR liveries as it is not my main interest but I think the Bachmann SECR locomotive is in a pre World War 1 livery whereas the wagons are in a post World War 1 livery.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I don't know anything about SECR liveries as it is not my main interest but I think the Bachmann SECR locomotive is in a pre World War 1 livery whereas the wagons are in a post World War 1 livery.

The answers are out there at a mere snip: £29 + P&P: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780860934936/Illustrated-History-Southern-Wagons-Volume-0860934934/plp

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I would be surprised if a book about wagons covered locomotive liveries as well.

It doesn't. That is quite a modest price for books from that series, though.

AIUI, the Rapido wagons (though not the 6-w brakes) replicate post-WW1 prototypes, so that will be the livery carried. 

No doubt we'll be informed more specifically in due course whether (and which) earlier liveries might be offered on the brake van.

Whether any locomotives retained the more elaborate liveries long enough for them to be seen in the company of the wagons will no doubt have been discussed in a thread somewhere on here. Presumably, any overhauled/repainted during the war received something much simpler/plainer.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

It might be announced at today's Rail's event where the great and good of the hobby are attending.

Albeit with a glaring omission of invitees from the Margate area, one assumes....😇

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I wonder if Hornby will produce a SECR dance hall brake van now that Rapido has shown that there is a demand for SECR wagons.

Possibly more likely from Bachmann, as one version of the Dancehalls had the same underframe as the S.R Pillbox brakes. I still have two more kits to build, though!

Hornby has been going through a very pronounced LNER phase for new stuff since the air-smoothed MN. Who knows when they might return to the SR fold. 

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Talking of ballast brakes. Hopefully someone will produce the SECR designed shark. There was a number built by BR so another long life vehicle. 

Not to mention the SECR/Leeds Forge Co. 4-wheel ballast hoppers, later BR (s) Mackerel.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It might be announced at today's Rail's event where the great and good of the hobby are attending.

I got invited!   🥳

Join us in store on Friday the 15th where we will be joined by a host of Manufacturers, Press and influencers who all contribute to making Model Railway what is today, amazing!

I assume so did all the customers. It was in one of the emails.

Jason

7 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Now that we have established that Rapido is going to produce some SECR diagram 1558 six wheel brake vans does anyone know whether

931001 no 2033 SECR grey with black underframe and

931002 no 2036 SECR grey 

would both be suitable for running with the Bachmann C class and the other Rapido SECR goods wagons.

I don't think there are any ready-to-run wagons out there that reflect the Wainwright period (pre-1913). The Rapido wagons are mostly post WW1 prototypes as has already been mentioned, not only livery, but design. Most SECR open wagons of the Wainwright era were of the high, rounded end type, usually with sheet rails. I can't think of any of those in RTR (which doesn't preclude their existence of course). Most of those were rebuilt with the ends cut down post 1912 or so. 

All that said, it looks like I may be dropping a bit of coin on some "break" vans soon.

Thank you for the information. It looks like the SECR brake vans were built before World War 1 so they are suitable for running with the Bachmann C Class.

The preserved brake van, number 2010, has a grey underframe so I have asked Hattons to let me know when the Rapido model 931002, 2036 with a grey underframe is available.