EFE Rail Summer 2022 Announcements

AY Mod

• Moderators

Following the celebrated arrival of the EFE Rail motorised London Underground 1938 stock earlier this year, a second model has been announced this time in Bus Red livery with white roundels and car numbers, as applied to units selected for a life-extending Extra Heavy Overhaul which was undertaken at the London Transport Works in Acton in the 1970s. The four-car model represents set number 136 working to Watford LMR. Both driving cars on the model are motorised, with a Plux22 DCC decoder socket in each, plus space for a sugar cube speaker to be fitted. Interior lighting is present in all four vehicles.

ITEM NO. SCALE DESCRIPTION RRP

E99940 OO London Underground 1938 Tube Stock, 1970s Bakerloo line EHO Set £359.95

E99940.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Must say something about my expectation on prices these days that as I read down AY's post I got to the part number of E99940 and read it as £999.40!

Worse still, I gulped, but not very hard🙄

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Must admit I prefer the 1938 stock in red, but with "London Transport" on the side rather than the logo.

Another nice to have that I really can't justify.

Just to show that you can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can please at least some of the people some of the time, I'd like to place on record how delighted I am to see for the first time on any of the EFE 1938 tube cars (static or motorised) the bus-red-with-white-roundel livery. This is the livery I remember from childhood until their withdrawal from the Bakerloo line in 1985. It's also the first time that anything that served my local station when growing up (Hatch End) has ever been correctly modelled in RTR form (I'm excluding the Hornby Dublo EMU which - although based on the LMR DC line Class 501s was fictitiously finished in SR livery).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, yes, yes! Like in Chris Leigh's review, I too had a childhood punctuated by being dragged from Waterloo to the west end for parental shopping trips. We'd occasionally skip the odd 59 or 72 stock train to see if a 38 showed up, especially when a clutch of them re-entered service.  The sound of the compressor was different and you could make a dash from the escalator if if it kicked in on time. The lush green partitions and wooden interiors and springy seats were a classy throwback to a less austere era.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• AY Mod changed the title to EFE Rail Summer 2022 Announcements

Looking forward to receiving one of these and have another to fit with one of my underground sound files.

A good friend john polley (owner of metromodels) has the only bus red one that was produced, it was a prototype livery sample produced back in the day, sadly of course it never made production!

will look smart with the other version.

• RMweb Gold

I just about remember the tail end of this livery, gives me throw backs to Wimpy at London Victoria and DMS Fleetlines too, and mini dalek shaped metallic ticket machines with 1” wide tube tickets about 2” long, wooden escalators at tube stations.

Dunno, I prefer the old style logo of the first release, but this livery with the roundel takes me back to a time not too dissimilar to now.. austere, bankrupt country, high inflation and on the cusp of a war, end of Deltics, 24’s, 44’s..

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Can the experts advise whether this tooling is suitable to produce in an as built livery?

david

It has the roof light domes which were only added in the 1970s for the EHO examples but they're hardly prominent

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wondered at the time why on earth LUL had decided to use the white roundel on them?  A definite step in the wrong direction 'livery' wise in my opinion.

Absolutely consistent with the bus livery changes and very 'on trend' for 1970s corporate image - see British Rail, National Bus Company etc. There are as many admirers for this approach as those that decry it - I'm a great admirer of the aesthetic, certainly compared to many garish modern liveries that appear to have been designed by a six year old on mescaline. 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Fishoutofwater said:

Bachmann website states all EFE Rail products arrived and there's been no announcements for ages so has EFE Rail gone off the boil?

Still more than a dozen IOW version LSWR 02 which could be done .............HINT HINT

Please do not assume that because not every Bachmann quarterly announcement includes a new EFE product that it has "gone off the boil"  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1