Having a go at drawing up some Transfers for the GER wagon stock I have been building and hoping to get these made into waterslide transfers.

Surprisingly fun and easy to do, I just downloaded Inkscape for free online, super intuitive if you have ever used any of Adobe's software such as photoshop and illustrator, and I was able to quickly trace this lot from photographs in a couple of hours! 

I haven't yet sized everything correctly, but will do, but wondered if I had glaringly missed anything I should probably incorporate with these decals for GER?

GE-WAGON.jpg.2550622aa96bce2ef7dd80de9b765c8a.jpg

• Like 5

Now the weather is super cold and printing is hit an miss in the print studio im concentrating on modeling a bunch of stuff to start printing come the better weather in march, so another GCR wagon this time the lovely 6 wheel brake in 7mm

1475053803_GCR6WHLBRAKE.jpg.73fd0eacac0ec68717643f6060ab941a.jpg

• Like 9

9 hours ago, EasternO said:

Where do you get your source material, specifically accurate drawings, to produce your models?

Hello Eastern, so i get most of my drawings from books I have collected the past few years, the drawing for this wagon particularly was in Peter Tatlow's Volume one southern area of the LNER book, a great series of volumes that are good for giving you the dimensions and overall shape of the vehicle. I then do a ref search online to try and find as many good photo's for reference for the details which can often be a mind field often with all the differing variations that some wagons have undergone throughout their working lives. So picking the variant closest to your era of interest is always best! I hope to have a bunch more GCR wagons knocked up over the winter along with some L&Y ones for variation on the layout!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 2

10 hours ago, woko said:

Hello Eastern, so i get most of my drawings from books I have collected the past few years, the drawing for this wagon particularly was in Peter Tatlow's Volume one southern area of the LNER book, a great series of volumes that are good for giving you the dimensions and overall shape of the vehicle. I then do a ref search online to try and find as many good photo's for reference for the details which can often be a mind field often with all the differing variations that some wagons have undergone throughout their working lives. So picking the variant closest to your era of interest is always best! I hope to have a bunch more GCR wagons knocked up over the winter along with some L&Y ones for variation on the layout!

Cheers

Rob

Cheers. I've been scouring the GER Soc website. I've found a few drawings I'm going to buy to see what they offer in way of detail.

3 hours ago, EasternO said:

Cheers. I've been scouring the GER Soc website. I've found a few drawings I'm going to buy to see what they offer in way of detail.

What vehicles are you looking for in particular? 

9 hours ago, woko said:

I was thinking of starting with the three versions of the 3 plank opens: fixed sides, drop sides and drop sides and ends, all on steel 15' chassis. Eventually working my way through the steel framed opens. Also, I'd like to see details of the wooden and steel 15' chassis. There was a 5 plank body that was fitted to both.

On 20/01/2023 at 19:09, woko said:

Well if you are going to ask.

the gcr glass wagon which had the cut out main floor for the glass to sit lower down in.

there is a diagram in tatlow volume 4 if you are brave.

richard 

10 hours ago, richard i said:

Well if you are going to ask.

the gcr glass wagon which had the cut out main floor for the glass to sit lower down in.

there is a diagram in tatlow volume 4 if you are brave.

richard 

Hello Richard, i thought volumes 4 where just LNER built wagons and didn’t include any pre grouping wagons am I wrong? If so i may need to get a vol 4 :)

10 hours ago, richard i said:

I might be wrong on the volume number, it is the one with the gcr/ ger/ gnr wagons in.

richard 

Ahh volume one yes indeedie its the LNER Southern Area yes I have that and if you are referring to the Glass wagon on p149 yeah its very nice, and different have been thinking of trying some different types of wagons so will have a go sir :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the meantime I have been finishing some work off on a French WW2 barn for the bolt action project! Marmion Farm as used in Band of Brothers I believe along with a picture back in 1944 and as is today. Note these photos are purely for reference only 

2123670359_MARMIONFARMBARN.jpg.00f3272ab6ea13ac18b9f3b1f7e2e481.jpg

1312303536_MARMIONFARMBARN02.jpg.3f69b1592ce6116d8ea3d6deb06e5f0d.jpg

As in 1944

1724420460_3181162783_1_12_mVFFWDIe(1).jpg.92acdef4a3cf20510a8376c5613f2bcb.jpg

58cb2c1b6e4840d366daf903330ecbda.jpg.57dc61cf6fb0d88854fc0ab7c7b300c2.jpg

Edited by woko
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, woko said:

In the meantime I have been finishing some work off on a French WW2 barn for the bolt action project! Marmion Farm as used in Band of Brothers I believe along with a picture back in 1944 and as is today. Note these photos are purely for reference only 

2123670359_MARMIONFARMBARN.jpg.00f3272ab6ea13ac18b9f3b1f7e2e481.jpg

1312303536_MARMIONFARMBARN02.jpg.3f69b1592ce6116d8ea3d6deb06e5f0d.jpg

As in 1944

1724420460_3181162783_1_12_mVFFWDIe(1).jpg.92acdef4a3cf20510a8376c5613f2bcb.jpg

58cb2c1b6e4840d366daf903330ecbda.jpg.57dc61cf6fb0d88854fc0ab7c7b300c2.jpg

Are these drawn in Blender, I have downloaded it but can't make head or tail of it. Fusion was a piece of cake up to this, or I'm missing something.

• Friendly/supportive 1

35 minutes ago, stevel said:

Are these drawn in Blender, I have downloaded it but can't make head or tail of it. Fusion was a piece of cake up to this, or I'm missing something.

It took me a long time to make headway with Blender and I  actually only got back into it because I commenced  modelling car (automobile) bodies and neither fusion nor SketchUp handled the modelling of the  organic curves satisfactorily in the way that Blender can.

It is a huge learning process not helped by the fact that Blender is not so much a hard surface modelling tool but a whole suite of rendering, animating, sculpting tools all in one. Most tutorials began with a basic modelling procedure but then go down the rendering, animating, lighting,  motion rigging, realistic fire effects etc  paths which are all irrelevant to creating printable 3D models.

That said, I am in awe of it's capabilities though as a CAD style package it lacks a lot, for instance it's not intuitive as to how to draw a line an exact length or evenly space a number of elements in the way that SketchUp, fusion, freecad etc is able to do quickly and easily.

If you wish to persevere then look for specific tutorial streams like "blender hard surface modelling", "blender for 3d printing", "blender for architectural modelling" and so on rather than just general blender ones. YouTube has a heap on there.

If it's any consolation luckily you didn't try it prior to  release 2.8 - it  has been a breeze to use compared to the versions prior to that release, they've  really cleaned up the UI!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

It took me a long time to make headway with Blender and I  actually only got back into it because I commenced  modelling car (automobile) bodies and neither fusion nor SketchUp handled the modelling of the  organic curves satisfactorily in the way that Blender can.

It is a huge learning process not helped by the fact that Blender is not so much a hard surface modelling tool but a whole suite of rendering, animating, sculpting tools all in one. Most tutorials began with a basic modelling procedure but then go down the rendering, animating, lighting,  motion rigging, realistic fire effects etc  paths which are all irrelevant to creating printable 3D models.

That said, I am in awe of it's capabilities though as a CAD style package it lacks a lot, for instance it's not intuitive as to how to draw a line an exact length or evenly space a number of elements in the way that SketchUp, fusion, freecad etc is able to do quickly and easily.

If you wish to persevere then look for specific tutorial streams like "blender hard surface modelling", "blender for 3d printing", "blender for architectural modelling" and so on rather than just general blender ones. YouTube has a heap on there.

If it's any consolation luckily you didn't try it prior to  release 2.8 - it  has been a breeze to use compared to the versions prior to that release, they've  really cleaned up the UI!

thanks for the advise, I have not been specific enough with my Youtube searches so this should help.

On 26/01/2023 at 03:34, stevel said:

Sorry Stevel for my slow response at getting back its been a hectic few days

These aren't drawn in blender im using 3dsmax and Z brush to make these meshes, I do think Blender is very good though!

I only use 3dsmax and Zbrush because I have used them for many many years so know them fairly well to produce models in!

If I was getting into 3d modelling today I would definitely use Blender, im thinking about having a go myself when i get some spare time!!!! Spare time what is that then ;)

Cheers

Rob

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, woko said:

Sorry Stevel for my slow response at getting back its been a hectic few days

These aren't drawn in blender im using 3dsmax and Z brush to make these meshes, I do think Blender is very good though!

I only use 3dsmax and Zbrush because I have used them for many many years so know them fairly well to produce models in!

If I was getting into 3d modelling today I would definitely use Blender, im thinking about having a go myself when i get some spare time!!!! Spare time what is that then ;)

Cheers

Rob

I thought I would have spare time once I retired, now I just work for my wife LOL.

• Funny 2

Whilst the weather is still pretty cold im avoiding spending anytime down in the studio and cracking on with some more wagons for printing in spring

Here I have a couple L&YR Wagons another Fish Truck to go with my GCR fish van, a very unusual but fantastic looking vehicle.

Followed up with a simpler 3plank Loco Sand wagon. 

1639360615_LYRFishtruck.jpg.3b40198c83d5dca07cb5e14e482e28c0.jpg

1874057721_LYRlocosand.jpg.017fed5512e69dec4de4dc467cfa8ec9.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

More Wagon Shenanigans, this time adding a bit more variety to my 7mm collection for spring time  printing

What pre-grouping wagon collection wouldn't be without an MR 299 wagon, these bad boys where all over the place so I figured I best knock one up for printing!

Finally an LTSR Fish van to add to my growing fish train collection with the GCR and LYR vans

MR_299.jpg.9ffe26ff0ffb67a949764f34ad6b58a8.jpg

LTSR_FISH_VAN.jpg.1d700b28ad38c16b92cbb6d2d2ecda07.jpg

• Like 10

more MR 7mm wagons to add to the mix, looking forward to printing some of this stuff off in spring.

I'm also toying with the idea of selling my STL's I have close to 150 now wagons and Coaches, but still wondering the best way to do it?

Anyway  MR 8Ton Coke, MR Fruit Van, MR 10Ton Van.

227463442_MR_8TONCOKE.jpg.c80ca230d63e45a63a8397e9bbbd74cc.jpg

1971770851_MR_FRUITVAN.jpg.c4bdcfa4ffc3d8cbe6fed70a62beba81.jpg

1640205839_MR_10TONVAN.jpg.087d2d41f4b9630c89467c23ddfdb5d5.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 hours ago, EasternO said:

Your models are very nice and I'm sure there's a market for them. Many of the GE wagons and coaches are types that I'd like to model myself, but 7mm is too big for my space. Would it be easy to rescale them? Are they O gauge or S7?

Thank you sir, I do plan to scale them down, I will have to adjust some of the tolerances as I have found when reducing the plank spacing down for instance it gets lost at 4mm, so i exaggerate the gap slightly, most will be horrified im sure ;) but its purely to provide a better read on the models when painting, otherwise in reality the detail is probably very slight! Other than that and some of the handle thicknesses they scale down nicely.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1