R60203 BR, YMO 'Salmon' Bogie Wagon - Era 6

R60204 BR, YMO 'Salmon' Bogie Wagon - Era 7
R60205 BR, YMO 'Salmon' Bogie Bolster Wagon - Era 7

R60206 BR, YMA 'Salmon' Bogie Wagon - Era 8

Availability OCT 2023

RRP £38.49

• Like 2

Their entry into HO by any chance? 😜

Seriously, a great announcement - featuring both LMS bogies and the plate type. Another essential* gap filled, saving up eagerly, I may even have to forego that EOI for those KR 40s.  

* essential not being defined as any rational person would.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Their entry into HO by any chance? 😜

Do you mean Footplate or Hornby?

Footplate released the correct length versions last year and they are very nice models. You can still buy their first batch “shorty” versions for a discounted price should accuracy not be essential.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Shame to duplicate the Footplate model which will now have to compete on a lower price.

Yes but flangeway are doing the modern airbraked varients of these with ASF bogies which Hornby have missed in this run which im sure will be popular. No doubt these will appear in the Hornby range at somepoint as well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, virginhst539 said:

Yes but flangeway are doing the modern airbraked varients of these with ASF bogies which Hornby have missed in this run which im sure will be popular. No doubt these will appear in the Hornby range at somepoint as well

The Footplate version on sale is transition era, black, olive green & yellow fitted with 5ft plate bogies. These remain in stock.

They have announced a batch of updated versions with the ASF bogies due this year some time.

It’s possible Hornby are doing the 8ft plate bogies rather than 5ft plate bogies?? The Era 3 wagon is shown with LMS bogies so at least that is different.

Edited by black and decker boy
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

From what I can gather these are pretty high spec with a fair bit of diecast to them to give them well needed weight. Bit of a shame that it's a duplicate but they are so widespread I'm sure both will sell sufficiently well and £50 felt a tad steep for the flangeway ones. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Downer said:

Defined it wrongly, didn’t they?

Well, they define Era 7 as 1968 - 1971 or some such, and that would do for me (1967-68)! 

Their definitions do demonstrate overlap, but I can see why - it's an inexact science.

• Like 2

I think eras are a general guide for people who perhaps aren't as clued up as most of us but still want some roughly matching stuff for their layout. I don't need era flashes to tell me that the streamlined B17s didn't run at the same time as/with MK3 coaches but others may want that guidance. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

It’s possible Hornby are doing the 8ft plate bogies rather than 5ft plate bogies??

Comparing the CAD above to the size of the bogies on my Flangeway Salmons, it certainly appears to be the 8ft bogies Hornby are modelling, which adds some nice variety.

No complaints from me, I'd like a couple more anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grovenor said:

The new r 2023 section on the Hornby website seems to have the photos for these and the bogie bolsters mixed up.

Sam's Trains failed to spot this and commentated about how good the value of the Salmon was, having mistaken it for the Bogie Bolster, price included.

• Like 1

Glad to see this one released, particularly at a lower point than flangeway's offering. Unfortunately as an overseas customer, Flangeway aren't GST registered and as such are rather expensive for those outside of the UK.

Very nice to see earlier designs too.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Ribird said:

For uninformed, what would these wagons be used for? Just rails (and rakes of welded rails?)

10 hours ago, Dungrange said:

Mainly track panels for transportation to work sites.

2 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Originally for carrying 60' rails which was the standard at the time.

Whilst originally and primarily for track, there are pictures about showing them carrying things like girder bridge/platform type panels and other long lengths of various metalwork, ( as similarly there are of other rail wagons so doing, sturgeons for example).

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 4 months later...