Class 22s on Passenger trains

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

The D63XXs were quite often used in passenger service when first introduced. To judge from photos I've seen, their employment fell into two categories (a) on mainline trains west of Newton Abbot, generally in pairs or piloting other classes and (b.)as direct replacements for 45XX Prairies on certain Westcountry branch lines. This phase seems to have ended as more Type 4's and DMU's became available or the branches closed.

I'd be interested in knowing what local services were operated by D63XXs in the early days. I've seen photos on the Helston, Minehead and Cheddar Valley lines.

But I wonder if anyone knows of any instances of passenger workings later in their careers - say after 1965. One intriguing report I remember reading in a contemporary magazine was that in December 1971 - the very last month of their existence, an Exeter-Newton Abbot local was worked by a Class 22 on a number of occasions. I wonder if anyone has confirmation of this, or knows of any other examples.

Andy

(NB I don't know why there's a smiley in the above post. I've tried editing it out several times but it keeps reappearing)

My particular interest stems from an All-Line Rover in 1970, late August / early September. I have been lucky enough to have access to somebody elses observations during this period and they definitely show class 22's working between Exeter and Newton Abbot in an evening.

I will have a trawl through and see what I can find - may be a few days though.

HTH.

(NB I don't know why there's a smiley in the above post. I've tried editing it out several times but it keeps reappearing)

Now edited b.) without the . comes out as B)

There is a cracking B&W shot of a triple header waiting to leave Ilfracombe but I can't for the life of me place it at the moment. I suspect one of the three had failed as surely, despite the feeble power of the D63xx, it would not take three of them to get a train up that arduous hill!

From 1959 onwards they were certainly used quite regularly on Exeter-Newton Abbot stoppers, deputising for Large Prairies.

Andy.

There is a cracking B&W shot of a triple header waiting to leave Ilfracombe but I can't for the life of me place it at the moment. I suspect one of the three had failed as surely, despite the feeble power of the D63xx, it would not take three of them to get a train up that arduous hill!

From 1959 onwards they were certainly used quite regularly on Exeter-Newton Abbot stoppers, deputising for Large Prairies.

Andy.

IIRC that B+W pic appeared in an old magazine and i cannot remember which magazine or issue it was. But again IIRC i think one of them had failed and i think it was the middle engine hence why three ended up on the train, they just shoved another on the front.

Hi Andy,

The evening Exeter - Newton Abbot service you refer to is probably the 20.10 off Exeter, often 22 hauled up until the end of their lives. The last four, D6333, D6336, 6338 and D6339 (all in blue livery with full yellow ends) were officially withdrawn on New Years Day 1972 so it's entirely possible they performed on the 20.10 right up until new Years Eve '71. On that last day in traffic they all had their engines run up to use what fuel was left in the tanks, but there was a possibility that one of them was used for shunting and / or to work a local milk train in the Exeter area.

The 20.10 service was sometimes used to get empty coaching stock back to Newton Abbot (and Laira) and could occasionally be made up to twenty vehicles, which must have been a struggle for a 22, even on the relatively flat seawall section of the line! I'm sure I read about this in one of Sean Greenslades articles (possibly Traction mag or one of the Adrian Curtis publications).

I understand that ocassionally 22s were called on to assist Hymeks and Warships on the Oxford to Worcester line too.

HTH

Nidge wink.gif

Has no-one mentioned Wadebridge - Padstow yet? The viaduct at Little Petherick Creek is certainly featured in one of the standard albums: a filthy GSYP specimen with a couple of dingy Maunsells or the like in tow....

Has no-one mentioned Wadebridge - Padstow yet? The viaduct at Little Petherick Creek is certainly featured in one of the standard albums: a filthy GSYP specimen with a couple of dingy Maunsells or the like in tow....

I know the picture. The one with the truss bridge. I think CK and the Padstow Lancers travelled on that one.

• RMweb Premium

There are views of D63XX on passenger services at Bodmin General, Kingsbridge, and Helston on my Railways of Cornwall & The South West gallery;

http://railwaysofcornwall.fotopic.net/

regards Ernie

It's always a pleasure to revisit your galleries, Ernie.

I was intrigued by this one http://railwaysofcornwall.fotopic.net/p46216525.html . Is it definitely Looe? It looks as if the siding in the background is at a significantly lower level than the main line, which wouldn't be possible at Looe since the main lines are only just above water level. Thinking of other places where the railway was beside a river, I wonder if it might be Newham at Truro (not that I've ever been there so I may be spouting nonsense)

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

The evening Exeter - Newton Abbot service you refer to is probably the 20.10 off Exeter, often 22 hauled up until the end of their lives. The last four, D6333, D6336, 6338 and D6339 (all in blue livery with full yellow ends) were officially withdrawn on New Years Day 1972 so it's entirely possible they performed on the 20.10 right up until new Years Eve '71. On that last day in traffic they all had their engines run up to use what fuel was left in the tanks, but there was a possibility that one of them was used for shunting and / or to work a local milk train in the Exeter area.

The 20.10 service was sometimes used to get empty coaching stock back to Newton Abbot (and Laira) and could occasionally be made up to twenty vehicles, which must have been a struggle for a 22, even on the relatively flat seawall section of the line! I'm sure I read about this in one of Sean Greenslades articles (possibly Traction mag or one of the Adrian Curtis publications).

I understand that ocassionally 22s were called on to assist Hymeks and Warships on the Oxford to Worcester line too.

HTH

Nidge wink.gif

Thanks for confirming that. But it's frustrating as well, because I was at Exeter on Dec 20th 1971 and had my last sight of a 22 in service http://andy-kirkham.fotopic.net/p56226352.html If only I'd stayed on into the evening I could have had a ride behind one as well.

Andy

My best experience with passenger Class 22 haulage was in the summer of 1971 when I was travelling from Plymouth – Truro hauled by a Class 52.

The journey started well, with some good Western thrash as we left Plymouth. We had made a scheduled stop at Liskeard following which we preceded for about 3 miles when the train ground to a halt. The Western had apparently suffered a brake failure and assistance was called. About an hour later a Class 22 came from the west (I am assume from St Blazey shed) briefly stopped as a short discussion ensured between the respective drivers. The Class 22 then set off towards Liskeard in order to cross to the down line and then returned and was attached to the rear of my train. All was still not well as failed more and then the following train was then called forward. This train was hauled by a Class 45 or 46 and this was them coupled behind the Class 22.

Shortly afterwards we departed with all engines in providing power to the train, which now consisted of a Class 52 + 7 coaches +Class 22 + Class 45/46 +8 coaches! We continued to the freight loops just east of Par station were the ensemble was broken up with a Class 47 taking over the front portion of the train. My only disappointment is that I do not have the details of the locos involved.

The Class 22’s were also seen on passenger services on the Chacewater –Newquay line in the early 1960’s prior to the lines closure; these trains often consisted of a single Mk1 suburban brake coach.

Xerces Fobe

Thanks for confirming that. But it's frustrating as well, because I was at Exeter on Dec 20th 1971 and had my last sight of a 22 in service http://andy-kirkham..../p56226352.html If only I'd stayed on into the evening I could have had a ride behind one as well.

Andy

Great photo Andy - brought back some happy memories!

Nigel. a.k.a Xerces Fobe2

I was intrigued by this one http://railwaysofcornwall.fotopic.net/p46216525.html . Is it definitely Looe? It looks as if the siding in the background is at a significantly lower level than the main line, which wouldn't be possible at Looe since the main lines are only just above water level. Thinking of other places where the railway was beside a river, I wonder if it might be Newham at Truro (not that I've ever been there so I may be spouting nonsense)

Andy

I think its definitely Looe, the far line looks lower but its an optical illusion caused by the photgrapher standing on the front door step of one of the B&B's on the hillside.

Check out the photos in Gerry Beale's book (Wild Swan) page 157 and also photo 108 in the Middleton Press book. In that one you can see the B&B with the distinctive front wall pillars and also the stone steps up to the front door.

Ernie

They certainly appeared instead of small prairies on the St. Ives branch until the Gloucester singles took over. However, on the Helston line the Class 22s seem to have reigned till the end. I've not seen pictures of any railcars, that I can recall, at Helston.

CHRIS LEIGH

Andy,

Have found the notes I was looking for, I see Sean Greenslades name mentioned - it was he who very kindly gave me copies of his observations for my project.

Saturday 29th August 1970

6352 piloting 808 (partial failure)2C78, 0800 Ilfracombe - Exeter St Davids.

The evening turn to Newton Abbot (2147) was 846.

Bank Holiday Monday 31st August 1970

D6333+D6330 2C76, 2010 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot, load 10

Tuesday 1st September 1970

6352+D6330, 2C76, 2010 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot, load 10

Wednesday 2nd September 1970

D6339, 2C76, 2010 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot, load 9

Thursday 3rd September 1970

6352, 2C58, 1703 Exeter St Davids - Axminster, load 4+PMV. Loco came back with 5C58, 1900 Chard Jn - Exeter St Davids ecs, same stock.

6352+D6330, 2C76, 2010 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot.

Friday 4th September 1970

D6333+D6330, 2C76, 2010 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot, load 9

Saturday 5th September 1970.

The evening turn to Newton Abbot seems to be at 2147 on a Saturday and was 816.

I was at Exeter and/or Newton Abbot on at least 3 of the above dates - if only, as they say !!

Hope this helps,

Chris (GKPC)

My best experience with passenger Class 22 haulage was in the summer of 1971 when I was travelling from Plymouth – Truro hauled by a Class 52.

The journey started well, with some good Western thrash as we left Plymouth. We had made a scheduled stop at Liskeard following which we preceded for about 3 miles when the train ground to a halt. The Western had apparently suffered a brake failure and assistance was called. About an hour later a Class 22 came from the west (I am assume from St Blazey shed) briefly stopped as a short discussion ensured between the respective drivers. The Class 22 then set off towards Liskeard in order to cross to the down line and then returned and was attached to the rear of my train. All was still not well as failed more and then the following train was then called forward. This train was hauled by a Class 45 or 46 and this was them coupled behind the Class 22.

Shortly afterwards we departed with all engines in providing power to the train, which now consisted of a Class 52 + 7 coaches +Class 22 + Class 45/46 +8 coaches! We continued to the freight loops just east of Par station were the ensemble was broken up with a Class 47 taking over the front portion of the train. My only disappointment is that I do not have the details of the locos involved.

The Class 22’s were also seen on passenger services on the Chacewater –Newquay line in the early 1960’s prior to the lines closure; these trains often consisted of a single Mk1 suburban brake coach.

Xerces Fobe

Nigel this is a great little story - reminds me of 'Super Rescue' from the Rev Awdry's Thomas books! (Enterprising Engines IIRC - I've read it recently to my three year old daughter!)

Nigel this is a great little story - reminds me of 'Super Rescue' from the Rev Awdry's Thomas books! (Enterprising Engines IIRC - I've read it recently to my three year old daughter!)

A good analogy but no faces on the enginesbiggrin.gif - I only wish I had kept a record of the locos involved and had a camera with me as well as the date which I think was sometimre July 1971 - It would be great to if there is a record of this working somewhere .

Xerces Fobe

Andy - that pic at Exeter, is it D6339? Nice to be reaquainted with those pics of yours, I like going back to them!

Chris (GKPC) - you are a very bad man.....your post listing double headers out of Exeter reminded me I've got an 'Exe-Rail' colour print of two blue / full yellow ends 22s on a rake of stock at St. Davids, I've just dug it out along with all my other hydraulic prints... result... I've now gone all misty eyed and week at the knees! The pic in question shows D6333 and D6337 on load 8, dated 24/8/67 and the stock is maroon and blue / grey. Another Exe-Rail shot from the same pile is worth a mention..... a b/w print dated 25/8/62 taken at Plymouth showing D6348, D6352 and a D8xx Warship arriving from the west on 1A81.... it's possible the Warship had failed and the 22s were assisting but quite often when this happened the assisting locos driver never bothered putting the correct headcode up - leads me to think this may have been a booked working, perhaps to bring the 22s up from Penzance / Truro / St Blazey to Laira..?

Nidge wink.gif

Edit - just found another interesting shot, veering off topic slightly as it's a non passenger working but... from Alan Bennett's 'The GWR In West Cornwall'... a nice over the wall shot at Penzance c.1960 of a pair of 22s on the 18.20 Kensington Milk, load is two six wheeled tanks and about eight to ten bogie vans, one of which is a Royal Mail TPO...would make a great model.

wink.gif

That probably explains a sighting I remember in about 1970-ish of a 22/Warship pairing at Slough. Very rare to see one passenger traffic in the London area, thought they were relatively common on freight.

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

Have found the notes I was looking for, I see Sean Greenslades name mentioned - it was he who very kindly gave me copies of his observations for my project.

Saturday 29th August 1970

6352 piloting 808 (partial failure)2C78, 0800 Ilfracombe - Exeter St Davids.

The evening turn to Newton Abbot (2147) was 846.

Bank Holiday Monday 31st August 1970

D6333+D6330 2C76, 2010 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot, load 10

Tuesday 1st September 1970

6352+D6330, 2C76, 2010 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot, load 10

Wednesday 2nd September 1970

D6339, 2C76, 2010 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot, load 9

Thursday 3rd September 1970

6352, 2C58, 1703 Exeter St Davids - Axminster, load 4+PMV. Loco came back with 5C58, 1900 Chard Jn - Exeter St Davids ecs, same stock.

6352+D6330, 2C76, 2010 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot.

Friday 4th September 1970

D6333+D6330, 2C76, 2010 Exeter St Davids - Newton Abbot, load 9

Saturday 5th September 1970.

The evening turn to Newton Abbot seems to be at 2147 on a Saturday and was 816.

I was at Exeter and/or Newton Abbot on at least 3 of the above dates - if only, as they say !!

Hope this helps,

Chris (GKPC)

Ta very much Chris. My imagination is duly stirred:rolleyes:

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Another Exe-Rail shot from the same pile is worth a mention..... a b/w print dated 25/8/62 taken at Plymouth showing D6348, D6352 and a D8xx Warship

I spent a holiday in Truro in 1962 and saw several expresses arrive from the east with two D63XX's piloted by a steamer, usually a Grange or Hall. There was also the odd Warship with a steam pilot.

That could make an interesting combo for a layout.

Keith

Archived