Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Exhibition behaviour (again!)

PGN

In TaiJi Quan there is a technique called 'Song'; 'heavy', usually translated as 'sinking' It roots one to the spot; added to that I'm also somewhat large - people usually bounce off with as much force as they put in. I actually managed to apply this technique once in mid air (some fool picked me up without so much as excuse me) - splat!

Interesting observation that our comrades with certain challenges have to consciously learn the social skills most of us pick up in a more usual upbringing (I say this because similar problems can be posed to individuals whose social education was lacking, e.g. being brought up in relative social isolation or having been set unusual boundaries). Before trying to secure a girlfriend I had to read my way through 'The Psychology of Interpersonal Behaviour' by Argyle before I felt confident to ask anyone out. Just for the record:

1. It wasn't the only psychology textbook I've read - nor the first

2. I still refer to it (for professional purposes) and it's a good read.

..... the behaviour of my fellow exhibition goers.

1. ....pointing things out (usually while commenting loudly on them) by reaching forward to point at them so all that other people can see is your hand; .....

I've just come back from the Watford Finescale show, where the above actually happened whilst I was having a look at the Herculaneum Dock layout. Two elderly men to my right, one of whom was explaining to the other the features of the layout, and pointing to them. To my left, a middle-aged bespectacled fella in a blue fleece - is he on this Forum, and has he been reading this thread? - who very loudly objected to the pointing, on the basis that it was "spoiling it for others".

If he was going to object that loudly, then he could at least have had the decency not to bellow in my left ear. :angry:

• RMweb Gold
To my left, a middle-aged bespectacled fella in a blue fleece who very loudly objected to the pointing, on the basis that it was "spoiling it for others".

Poor bloke, blind, deaf and stood next to Horsetan so no sense of smell either...

I find it a credit to our hobby and the people who take part in it that even with people who obviously aggrevate us and sometimes cause us extreme frustration that people do not resort to violence to "solve" these problems. I would hate to hear of riots breaking out at Warley 2011 because of someone leaning over a layout too far or the like. I think it shows that although there are people who take part in the hobby can cause a nuisance I believe that we react in an appropriate way.

I must say that I have been to probably far fewer shows than most of the other members on this board but those that I have been to are remembered as a time when I have happily conversed with many different people from different backgrounds. However at the larger shows I have been to I have enjoyed those less because of a number of issues that include the members of the public visiting. So I know what I prefer, the smaller niche market shows.

I'd just like to add, although pretty off topic, that it's not just model railway exhibitions where these things happen. I spent the day at athe world cyclicg championships in Manchester, and the bloke sat next to me in the afternoon absolutely reeked. He smelled odd and musty like he'd come straight from his crypt, and nearly put me off my fifth pint; though I wasn't likely to give up my viewpoint of the lovely Vicky, oh no...

Also, my girlfriend asked a question during the 'points' race, which can to be fair be a little bit baffling, and before I could answer, some old buffer broke into our conversation and explained to us in tremendously patronising tones the basic rules. Being the nice polite chap I am, I refrained from mentioning to him that I not only knew what a points race was, I had been in one, on that very track, only a few years ago.

We smiled politely and moved in the general direction of 'away', whilst in my head I unpicked the leather elbow patches on his jacket, and left him a twitching corpse on the floor among the discarded chip trays and plastic glasses...

Having thought about it, I realise that I dont actually wear a rucksack, merely a backpack.:D

And beofre any pedants start, I have yomped hundreds of miles with a rucksack as they were essentially a basic tool of my trade, (or chacons as we called them) and there is an essential difference.

I dont recall having seen anyone at a show with a rucksack at all!:lol:

We smiled politely and moved in the general direction of 'away', whilst in my head I unpicked the leather elbow patches on his jacket,

Tweed jacket by any chance? :P

Obviously tweed is not just a railway modelling old boys uniform :D

Well, I would wager that he was trying to be helpful (with a beneficial side-effect of showing off to a woman, but what man doesn't occasionaly, even if "grown-up" and supposedly grown out of such supposedly "childish" behaviour, revel in showing off their knowledge, particularly to a woman).

Many people don't know that their tone is patronising, and I suspect no one ever tells them.

And what is wrong with the general public?

Sorry I should have quantified my statement a little better. I meant large volumes of the public. It can get a bit clausteraphobic when there are a lot of people in a small space especially if it is not adequately ventilated.

Sorry if I caused offence.

Having thought about it, I realise that I dont actually wear a rucksack, merely a backpack.:D

And beofre any pedants start, I have yomped hundreds of miles with a rucksack as they were essentially a basic tool of my trade, (or chacons as we called them) and there is an essential difference.

I dont recall having seen anyone at a show with a rucksack at all!:lol:

Indeed. I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought that wearing a backpack was a pretty credible alternative to one of those overgrown, 40-yr-old, brown, leather-effect, vinyl bags that old people use to carry their tartan thermos flasks and egg sandwiches around in. I've seen and heard people tutting at the mere sight of a backpack - there is obviously an unwritten code of conduct (that, interestingly, seems to include using one's index finger to point out something of interest to a companion) that I'm not aware of.

It's all getting a bit precious around here..

I've seen and heard people tutting at the mere sight of a backpack - there is obviously an unwritten code of conduct ... that I'm not aware of.

I don't know how many threads I've seen now that have ventured into rucksack/backpack territory, but that's generally the result. It always will be, as long as folk take the attitude of damning the item itself and anybody associated with it rather than the way it's used, and accepting that some users a) have little option and/or b ) do take care with them. Sweeping generalisations rarely make for balanced or calm debates.

You may be right there ... BUT one of the earlier posters commented upon the fact that inconsiderate behaviour at model railweay exhibitions never seems to spark violent incidents. Maybe it's because people tend to keep a cap on it, and then let off steam elsewhere. Like here. Is that such a very bad thing, even if the things that are acting as irritatns to some posters whould not be an irritant to you?

Many people don't know that their tone is patronising, and I suspect no one ever tells them.

At Watford, yesterday I overheard one visitor commenting to another who was obviously known to or accompanying him that the running on his layout was very poor. The 'friend' then suggested using sandpaper along the rails or "one of those Peco rubbers" until they were bright and shiny.

As an eavesdropper the temptation was to warn that that was bad advice and that such things should only be used once the rail surface has already been wrecked (how many times has that advice been given on RMWeb?). But I refrained from doing so... There becomes a point at which any advice can seem to be patronising and very difficult to offer when the person is unknown. On RMweb it is somehow different. The original questioner is generally accepted as asking a question to canvas a range of responses and is declaring themselves as being open to all suggestions. Sometimes this will lead to conflicting arguments such as "well, why do Peco sell the track rubbers then?" or "I've used one on my settrack layout for years, and it still comes up shiny" or ..

Generally, I am very reluctant to offer any information or advice at a show unless it is specifically directed at me. Even then unless I know the level of knowledge it is difficult not to sound patronising. So better avoided.

I'll second the back pack comments - no idea what they keep in them, just use a plastic bag from the traders like the rest of "us" lol I've lost count of the amount of times I've been assaulted by one at an exhibition. As for people shoving - just stand your ground. If I haven't finished (particularly at traders stands) the transaction there is no way in a million years you will shift me out of the way - just wait your turn like I had to......

On a similar note - my pet hate at the moment is people who stand in a newsagents reading the railway magazines as if it's a library......just buy the bloomin' thing & let others get near them!!

I think I must be getting old :-)....

Matt

On a similar note - my pet hate at the moment is people who stand in a newsagents reading the railway magazines as if it's a library......just buy the bloomin' thing & let others get near them!!

I think I must be getting old :-)....

Matt

I think that is a good a place as any to stop this. We have been round in circles for some time now and I am sure I am not the only one who is dizzy. Oh and don't start discussing bags in mags either as that has been done a couple of times.

Archived