EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, TinTracks said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265417815633

It's heavy and rare. must be a bargain then. ??

PS the boss has called it a day and gone upstairs and I have permission to stay up until 3.30am so, hopefully, she won't see this

Cheers Rich.

Ones numbered as a Peak are pretty rare...

• Funny 5

22 bids? £74? I didn't realize that assembling Metcalf buildings was a black art requiring rare (and costly) skills....

Why isn't there an OMFG!!!! emoji just for this topic?

Edited by MrWolf
  • Agree 6

30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

22 bids? £74? I didn't realize that assembling Metcalf buildings was a black art requiring rare (and costly) skills....

Off now to pimp myself out as a flap gluer

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

19 hours ago, TinTracks said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133966077232?hash=item1f31001d30:g:aUUAAOSw8G1hu1hQ

Hornby Meccano Duplo has reared it's head again. ( I can't see anything Binns Road in this lot)

The seller, very helpfully, goes on to tell us that '' this item may, or may not, have the following faults.......''

He also tells us that he understands'' the need for a good and informed description''

Words fail me. Back to reality and the cans of Hobgoblin IPA and the Asda Firewater

(Ok I admit that I might part with a couple of quid for what looks to be bits of an old Trix overall roof station if I were at a swapmeet)

Regards, Rich.

PS forgot to add that it's vintage

It looks like two distinct sources. The incredibly coarse O gauge items and two 00 scale items. The little stone bridge with the landscaping ready to blend in is actually a nice attractive little thing. You can buy the trix building and I’ll grab that for a couple of quid. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 16/12/2021 at 17:03, Paul H Vigor said:

Bamfords are JCB today.

JCB…

Joseph Cyril Bamford…

Joseph Cyril Bamford Excavators Ltd. was founded by Joseph Cyril Bamford in October 1945 in Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, England. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JCB_(company)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Stupid though it sounds, how long would it take to (carefully) assemble the two kits, two hours plus?  Consider a reasonable hourly rate for a "general handyman", plus the costs of the kits themselves.........  Then remember that a lot of cash-rich, time-poor professionals earn a lot more than £30/hr, so might be quite happy to pay someone else that.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2021 at 23:43, andyman7 said:

The madness with this one is that I have bought it:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-Class-55-Deltic-Diesel-Locomotive-The-Black-Watch-Weathered-949-/284555270210?nma=true&si=%2FvspTMOpduihGinjwDW8NM3%2FnU0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I know weathering is a personal thing but this appears to have been camouflaged....
Still, the price was right for me to a) try and get that stuff off and b) improve my skills at a better finish. Plan c) (no relation to HM Government) will be a repaint if the 'camouflage' proves resistant.

Thankfully the 'weathering' is largely removable, so the base livery can be tidied up rather than a complete repaint

IMG_20211217_162534.jpg

IMG_20211217_182034.jpg

IMG_20211217_233620.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Stupid though it sounds, how long would it take to (carefully) assemble the two kits, two hours plus?  Consider a reasonable hourly rate for a "general handyman", plus the costs of the kits themselves.........  Then remember that a lot of cash-rich, time-poor professionals earn a lot more than £30/hr, so might be quite happy to pay someone else that.

That's all very well, but I doubt that anyone will pay you £30 per hour to build a card kit like that. They would go for a scratch build of a prototype.

Give me those types of customers any day.

There's also an awful lot of people out there who are convinced that if you do something for yourself as a hobby, you're not going to charge them more than a few pints of beer to do the same for them, because it's what you enjoy doing.

That's not helped in my case because there's people out there who will produce a commissioned painting for £40. Mine go for £1200 on average, but that's a reflection of the time and effort required. 

Don't get me started on the folks who believe that a restored motorcycle worth £2000 isn't going to cost £3500 to restore. So they got a wreck from a house clearance for £300, all they can think of is making a £1500 profit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Don't get me started on the folks who believe that a restored motorcycle worth £2000 isn't going to cost £3500 to restore. So they got a wreck from a house clearance for £300, all they can think of is making a £1500 profit.

Reminds me of the last car I owned, it had an engine failure requiring a replacement engine  (5 years old) in 2013.  

Q:   " How much to repair it ?"

A;    "Around £2,100"

Q:    "What's it worth when it's fixed ?"

A:    "Around £1,800"

Took £300 as scrap value and got a lease car for work.

Edited by 2E Sub Shed
Missed word.
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I have a simple breakdown for  pre assessment of a restoration job .

Rebuild / re-spoke two wheels £500

Tyres and tubes £200

Engine rebuild £1000

Magneto / dynamo rebuild £600

Wiring, lights, switches £500

Fuel tank rechrome £500

Paint, other chrome, sundry parts,  £1000.

Add labour on top of that!

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I have a simple breakdown for  pre assessment of a restoration job .

Rebuild / re-spoke two wheels £500

Tyres and tubes £200

Engine rebuild £1000

Magneto / dynamo rebuild £600

Wiring, lights, switches £500

Fuel tank rechrome £500

Paint, other chrome, sundry parts,  £1000.

Add labour on top of that!

I have half an eye on early 90s bikes and what you've described above is why I will almost certainly buy privately instead of from a dealer.  I can almost guarantee that all the real work will still be necessary, while the dealer will charge a thousand pound premium for what amounts to a couple of hours cleaning and polishing and if lucky, a very "generous" MOT.

• Agree 3

I've nearly always done the work myself, partly out of interest in bringing machines back from the dead beginning with bicycles, but also because in my teens I was broke.

The amount of shiny bikes bought as "restored" that I have had to make reliable and rideable for people I've lost count on.

To actually fix things properly blows the profitability for dealers. 

This is why they're constantly talking up the "collector market". They know that the investment quality classic brigade will never ride them. Another reason why the "unreliable when new" lies are perpetuated. My daily driver is 72 years old and starts second kick from stone cold.

Anyway, we'd better get back to overpriced rubbish from a different eBay category! :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, tubs01 said:

And what's just as bad is if it's a tender engine he picks it up letting the tender swing on its electrical connection with no support 

Why would anyone buy stuff treated this way, if your going to take pictures outside at least put it on a table with a pale coloured cloth behind to hide the background

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, tubs01 said:

Perhaps the seller likes 'getting back to nature'? A naturist? Likes to display models 'in the rough'??

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

My daily driver is 72 years old and starts second kick from stone cold.

If your nan is driving you around every day they you shouldn't really be letting her get cold, never mind kicking her to start...

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

If your nan is driving you around every day they you shouldn't really be letting her get cold, never mind kicking her to start...

She's very cold I expect and no amount of kicking would start her, not that she's bothered, she's been dead more than twenty years.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 16/12/2021 at 22:11, Paul H Vigor said:

I recall a summer visit to the Kent & East Sussex many years ago. Somewhere, packed away, I have a photo taken from the train of a burnt-out fire engine in what had been a wheat field. Suspect the wind changed and engulfed the fire appliance?

We lost a firefighter at such an incident at High Halden near to K&ESR in 1990.

RIP ff Neil Stocker

Edited by KDG
To add context
  • Friendly/supportive 9

19 hours ago, tubs01 said:

Pretty certain that seller has appeared here before with a brass kit all over the garden? Goodrubbish definitely rings a bell.

Edited by PieGuyRob
Dodgy spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fairly obviously a dealer, and none the worse for that, and perhaps doesn't have time to photograph items in better locations and lighting, but it doesn't take long to put a neutral coloured cloth over a table or cabinet and shine an anglepoise on it...  He's got a fair eye for what stuff is worth, what it'll go for as opposed to what he can get, e.g. a Bachmann 56xx unboxed for £60 seems reasonable enough in the current market.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1