EBay madness

Marcyg

2 hours ago, JimFin said:

To the classic rally fraternity, the V5 is probably worth about £3k as it could be used to register and get MSA/FIA historic papers for a new build / rebuild with a lot less admin and certification effort.

Equally as useful for insurance fiddles, fakes and ringers.

I know several people who own unrestored low mileage survivor cars who keep them hidden away on the grounds that it's too risky to park them anywhere.

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

So where are the Ferreo Rochas then???

:whistle:

21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Sorry, used them all to endear myself to cute girls in evening dresses as per the instructions on the box....

You utter, utter Bounder!!!

(Shades of Terry-Thomas I suspect...)

• Funny 6

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Sorry, used them all to endear myself to cute girls in evening dresses as per the instructions on the box....

Assuming that Miss Red Riding Hood doesn’t know about this, as you are still able to post on RMWeb with unbroken fingers, and not have to eat your food through a straw?!

• Funny 5

20 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Assuming that Miss Red Riding Hood doesn’t know about this, as you are still able to post on RMWeb with unbroken fingers, and not have to eat your food through a straw?!

I've not even been lightly stabbed, for she played the part of said cute girls in evening dresses.

She's (genuinely) very strict with herself when it comes to chocolate and has more clothes than a Next warehouse.

Two chocolates and a different outfit per day over two weeks and I get fooled into thinking I'm Hugh Hefner...

Everybody wins! :D

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/12/2021 at 16:15, MrWolf said:

I've not even been lightly stabbed, for she played the part of said cute girls in evening dresses.

She's (genuinely) very strict with herself when it comes to chocolate and has more clothes than a Next warehouse.

Two chocolates and a different outfit per day over two weeks and I get fooled into thinking I'm Hugh Hefner...

Everybody wins! :D

Who is Hugh Heifer?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Isn't that the entire business model for a lot of tycoons?

Know where to buy an item cheap and then fleece people who don't?

I think you've just described capitalism, haven't you?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 31/12/2021 at 02:13, MrWolf said:

What indeed?

My own conclusion was that there are a large number of people with an interest in model trains with a vast disposable income.

Evidently they have so little else going on in their lives that they have become addicted to compulsive purchasing on eBay.

Either that or there's something dodgy going on. :D

Actually I have bought from La Turde du Gosse, and at very competitive prices.  It's just that he does seem to have a pricing policy inspired by a wind powered wonky shopping trolley in a car park, going in all directions at once.  I do wonder if he uses a bingo machine to value items.

No compulsive bidding from me, and when I look through his listings I do sometimes think "Really? You cannot be serious" but on occasions, presumably when his meds kick in, there have been instances when I've gone "Really? You're only asking that much?"

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Actually I have bought from La Turde du Gosse, and at very competitive prices.  It's just that he does seem to have a pricing policy inspired by a wind powered wonky shopping trolley in a car park, going in all directions at once.  I do wonder if he uses a bingo machine to value items.

No compulsive bidding from me, and when I look through his listings I do sometimes think "Really? You cannot be serious" but on occasions, presumably when his meds kick in, there have been instances when I've gone "Really? You're only asking that much?"

I too have had a bargain from Mr Diffen! I think that it must've been a mistake!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

The thing is, we pick up on the whacko pricing, but if you look about, there are sensibly priced listings for stuff that is worth having.

And yes, I've bought stuff that was worth bidding on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, centraltrains said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353837778846

"Central Trains" - the perfect title for this ScotRail 153.

The description goes onto to give more context "Rederedelivered in to Hornby Loco R30011 ScotRail".

The second photo perhaps suggests it could be an Australian or New Zealand train:lol:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Me too.   One of the things I factor into his pricing is the free postage and the fact that he will send the item in a good quality box - which I can re-use when I sell on eBay.   On a few rare occasions for certain items I was looking for he has actually been offering cheapest buy-it-now price on eBay.   Though he must by now also have a huge stock of overpriced tat which will never sell.

• Like 4

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I have also bought a very nice white metal (genuinely "kit built"!!) wagon a couple of years back for less than he was asking for a plastic wagon that appeared to be weathered with white emulsion.

I suppose that it's eBay madness?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I have also bought a very nice white metal (genuinely "kit built"!!) wagon a couple of years back for less than he was asking for a plastic wagon that appeared to be weathered with white emulsion.

I suppose that it's eBay madness?

By George, I think you've got it!

Sorry, My Fair Lady was on the other day...

• Funny 7