EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, JimFin said:

Gentlemen I think that we have a winner!

By anyone's standards that has to be overpriced junk.

I'd go so far as to say that it's in the "Smoking pile of monkey s***" category...

I have literally thrown one away which was better than that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I'd go so far as to say that it's in the "Smoking pile of monkey s***" category...

"The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended." = 'It runs, but may have a slight limp'!

• Funny 3

49 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

What do we read into the fact that he has had over 44,000 eBay transactions and has a 99.8% positive rating? He must have some very satisfied buyers.

quoted from ebay

"eBay Top-rated seller:

One of eBay's most reputable sellers.

Consistently delivers outstanding customer service."

There must be a lot of people out there with a different views to those of us on this thread.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

This locomotive has been made from an Airfix kit with a modified chassis for Hornby Dublo. 

It needs to have a driving wheel set added and needs some repair.

There is no fixing of the loco body to the chassis so it requires careful handling.

Well, his description is an example of the bleedin obvious! Seeing as a Dapol C047 railbus kit can be had for a tenner, inc delivery, and the motorised bit of Mr Wishful Thinkings offer is completely useless, I think he's either having a Christmas Jest with us or he's bought a new car and needs to scrape some readies together!

If you're really desperate for a Park Royal railbus, your best bet is to buy a new kit and something like a Black Beetle to go under it, or shell out for a secondhand Heljan. Both will cost a bit more than the above, but you'll end up with something that is a better prospect than the aptly described

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

"Smoking pile of monkey s***"

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Well, his description is an example of the bleedin obvious! Seeing as a Dapol C047 railbus kit can be had for a tenner, inc delivery, and the motorised bit of Mr Wishful Thinkings offer is completely useless, I think he's either having a Christmas Jest with us or he's bought a new car and needs to scrape some readies together!

If you're really desperate for a Park Royal railbus, your best bet is to buy a new kit and something like a Black Beetle to go under it, or shell out for a secondhand Heljan. Both will cost a bit more than the above, but you'll end up with something that is a better prospect than the aptly described

but it won't have 3-rail pickup.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Good back to Rails and their collection of overpriced second hand stuff, is this meant to represent D6502 after it crashed and was written off?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203753344281?hash=item2f70a54d19:g:VQoAAOSwuqhhugSX

"VERY GOOD, BOXED CONDITION"

That's a rather generous description.

Not the neatest job I ever saw...

See, I can be diplomatic.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's a rather generous description.

Not the neatest job I ever saw...

See, I can be diplomatic.

The scribble of black marker pen on the top part of the front end doors is quite special! I assume it’s meant to make it look more like a 33 than a 26.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Good back to Rails and their collection of overpriced second hand stuff, is this meant to represent D6502 after it crashed and was written off?

I’ve peered at the photos on the listing and cannot decide if the photos are out of focus, my eyesight is failing or it is a *truly* appalling paint finish??

Hang on … converted from a class 26 to class 33? But … but … why?

WHY?????!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"... mendacious chisellers ..." I like this! :D

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You beat me to it! Wonderfully Dickensian!

Thank you, gentlemen, it is good to know that not all of my efforts are wasted...

I've seldom been called wonderfully anything, and never Dickensian; it's a good day already!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

... that he's buying his own items, giving himself positive feedback and then  relisting them at an even higher price?

Or giving himself feedback under different names and buying his chums a pint if they will do the same.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

What do we read into the fact that he has had over 44,000 eBay transactions and has a 99.8% positive rating? He must have some very satisfied buyers.

quoted from ebay

"eBay Top-rated seller:

One of eBay's most reputable sellers.

Consistently delivers outstanding customer service."

There must be a lot of people out there with a different views to those of us on this thread.

What indeed?

My own conclusion was that there are a large number of people with an interest in model trains with a vast disposable income.

Evidently they have so little else going on in their lives that they have become addicted to compulsive purchasing on eBay.

Either that or there's something dodgy going on. :D

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Not model railway related but a prime example of what happens when you have drunk too much Christmas sherry before listing something on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324969699763

Gone up £500 notes in the last ten minutes... :O

Edited by John M Upton
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Not model railway related but a prime example of what happens when you have drunk too much Christmas sherry before listing something on Ebay:

Very handy for someone with an 1100 and no V5. It of course adds a little to the value of the 1100 to become a re-shelled RS rather than a hoped up shopping trolley.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I’ve peered at the photos on the listing and cannot decide if the photos are out of focus, my eyesight is failing or it is a *truly* appalling paint finish??

Hang on … converted from a class 26 to class 33? But … but … why?

WHY?????!!!!!

They are in focus, and it isn't your eyes......

There are random smears of filler on the ends as well, and the nose needs a few more coats of green to hide the yellow. I'm guessing that this 'conversion' was done to get a green 33 before Heljan brought their one out (as an early green 33/0 with original roof is a fairly recent thing).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I think the fact that they can't even quote the running number correctly (6502 in the pic; 6522 in their description) goes along way to explaining much about their other impaired descriptions. They even acknowledge that the renumbering is messy - almost as messy as the ad itself.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

To the classic rally fraternity, the V5 is probably worth about £3k as it could be used to register and get MSA/FIA historic papers for a new build / rebuild with a lot less admin and certification effort.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1