EBay madness

Marcyg

3 hours ago, Ross34 said:

What the classic car fraternity refer to as a donor vehicle. A tenth of what they're asking would be about right.

Perhaps they've just taken on another expert member of staff from the deli counter at Asda?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

"Sound fitted" - presumably the sound works even off the track and sound remarkably similar to plastic cracking under pressue?

It will sound like pouring coca cola over ice, a fizzing sound as the metal corrodes and cracking as the plastic shatters. 

You might well salvage the bogies, motor and detail parts. The rest of it is pretty much an air rifle target.

Then again, aren't some of the bogies and motor mounts prone to grenade like properties?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, Ross34 said:

15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

What the classic car fraternity refer to as a donor vehicle. A tenth of what they're asking would be about right.

Perhaps they've just taken on another expert member of staff from the deli counter at Asda?

Well certainly an ambitious price (!) for a parts donor. But the unknown is surely the sound decoder? This model predates TTS and if that's a full fat decoder, then a tenth (£16.95) would be a rip-off the other way (Lovejoy style - 'it's just rubbish but I'll be generous and take it off your hands, luv').

The best way to sell these things is by auction, 99p start. My bet is that it wouldn't get close to the asking price but would considerably exceed a tenth of it!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Well certainly an ambitious price (!) for a parts donor. But the unknown is surely the sound decoder? This model predates TTS and if that's a full fat decoder, then a tenth (£16.95) would be a rip-off the other way (Lovejoy style - 'it's just rubbish but I'll be generous and take it off your hands, luv').

The best way to sell these things is by auction, 99p start. My bet is that it wouldn't get close to the asking price but would considerably exceed a tenth of it!

I see it's missing its front coupling as well. I wonder if it was dropped??

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

But we are agreed that it's overpriced junk? :D

• Agree 6

19 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I see it's missing its front coupling as well. I wonder if it was dropped??

Missing front coupling = "Professionally detailed". 

It does look like it ended up on the north circular road, even I'd the livery isn't the same.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of Queen :D

Meanwhile, wonder where THIS came from?!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233537057107

And I wonder if the missile in the background is live... :D

Nice bit of lattice work, nice price too. Possibly retrieved for scrap price or likely free against the removal cost. You could get your own fabricated for about half the price, but it wouldn't have the kudos of a genuine piece of railwayana.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder how they got it out, or was it cut up on site?

I believe 31202 was scrapped on site, the other was removed and repaired.  It must have been challenging lifting it whilst under the flyover.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Nice bit of lattice work, nice price too. Possibly retrieved for scrap price or likely free against the removal cost. You could get your own fabricated for about half the price, but it wouldn't have the kudos of a genuine piece of railwayana.

A new one would be made of steel whereas this might be wrought iron, which tends to be much more durable out in the weather. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

35 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

A new one would be made of steel whereas this might be wrought iron, which tends to be much more durable out in the weather. 

That would be one of the points in favour of its perceived value. Looking at the photos, I'm pretty confident that your belief that it's made from wrought iron is correct, judging by it's age and condition. Steel laminated in that way is far more likely to have 'blown' with corrosion between the layers. A modern steel fabrication would be built in sections and hot dip galvanized to stand the chance of surviving as long as that bridge has.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1