Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

The GCRS bought up some of the kits from Danny but all the ones mentioned above (I think) went to ABS. I thought the single bolsters were in pairs - the packet I have has two in. There is a double kit on Ebay ATM at a stupid price. Since you can get the axleboxes and buffers from 51L (or David Geen) I had thought about scratchbuilding one and seeing if anyone will cast it in resin for me.

The GCRS bought up some of the kits from Danny but all the ones mentioned above (I think) went to ABS. I thought the single bolsters were in pairs - the packet I have has two in. There is a double kit on Ebay ATM at a stupid price. Since you can get the axleboxes and buffers from 51L (or David Geen) I had thought about scratchbuilding one and seeing if anyone will cast it in resin for me.

The bolster is a pair, and from memory I sent a friend in Scotland (he has given me quite a lot of stuff in the past) a packet with a pair in, once I found each packet contained a pair. This friend has got me some lovely kits at knock down prices, (I think from estates of modellers after knowing what dealers were offering) so its quite nice to know they are sort after.

Edited by hayfield

Update - The item was sent on a special delivery service that should have turned up today but Royal Mail have failed. 

Perhaps it was not actually posted till today, if the seller buys the postage via Ebay it shows up as sent. Even if it is bought after the Post Offices are closed

• RMweb Premium

No Royal Mail say that it was posted yesterday (19th) 10am. Despite being a tracked item they have no further information about its whereabouts! They have also said that they are not really interested until it is at least 10 days late.

Edited by Kris

• RMweb Premium

Item turned up this morning. 

For the princely sum of £21 + postage I purchased a nicely kit built O gauge GWR 57xx. It needs a replacement gear to the drive wheel as it has worn. Never mind, that should be easy enough to sort.

What you should not do is describe it as an n gauge Bachmann / farish loco then hide it under other vintage toys.  

• Like 2

Love the sellers name 'Top Cat' !!! I can think of a better name, if I was you I would complain that its not by Bachmann. :sungum: :triniti:

Truly great spot and I bet s***J is sick as a parrot if he reads this thread  :jester:

Don't forget to buy a lottery ticket

Edited by hayfield

Spotted quite by chance (honestly!) on Ebay Germany  these end platform railings are a perfect fit for a loco which had those very thin inflexible  plastic handrails.

A quick email to ascertain the dimensions and whether he would ship to UK and they are now fitted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251315590736?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• RMweb Premium

Not in the same league as the GWR loco above, but I just missed this - I saw it with a few minutes to go, but got distracted by a phone call!  Someone's got themselves a good deal though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-CLASS-47-CO-CO-DIESEL-LOCO-No-47475-Blue-Livery-Repaint-/290961921440?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43beae95a0&nma=true&si=LFMi2100eIHxPzjSI9r%252FGcrcbzs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• RMweb Gold

Not in the same league as the GWR loco above, but I just missed this - I saw it with a few minutes to go, but got distracted by a phone call!  Someone's got themselves a good deal though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-CLASS-47-CO-CO-DIESEL-LOCO-No-47475-Blue-Livery-Repaint-/290961921440?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item43beae95a0&nma=true&si=LFMi2100eIHxPzjSI9r%252FGcrcbzs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

£20 is about the going rate, and it's a repaint, don't think it's such a good deal personally.

Mike.

I know very little about RTR locos, and years ago when I had some Lima mechanisms were not the best, I guess they have got their act together. Getting someone to paint a loco will be far more costly than the price paid as would extra detailing, so for someone who wants something different I guess its good value. However for the collector the above post says it all 

• RMweb Premium

Not a collectors piece, that's for sure, but nice, and certainly at the cheap end of the price range.  Most Lima mechanisms can be made to work reasonably, some run very well, but yes, agreed, they can be hit-and-miss.

A few weeks ago I won a Jamieson GWR County loco body which has been well built, having missed out on a couple of Jamieson tender kits, I saw this Hawksworth whitemetal kit, its incomplete as its just 2 ends,2 sides and 2 buffers. But as I have a whitemetal county loco I just need to copy the internal partitions, I have a water dome and the water filler tops are square so easy to form. I won it for £3.23 with free posting.

Given the fact that a small parcel costs £3.00 to send, a new box must be 50p + Ebay and Pay pal fees  55p? . Had this been a private seller I would have offered to pay his out of pocket expenses, but as it came from one of the largest second hand dealers who sell hundreds of items a month I guess their costs are a bit lower and perhaps they broke even.

Still as far as I am concerned as postage is £3 retail, I got a tender for 23p

post-1131-0-71617100-1377937856_thumb.jpg

As you can see the right hand step is broken, but will be easy to repair with a spare step duly modified from the spares box. In addition I have just remembered that I have a Jamieson loco and tender body kit, though its been built with no details, so I will swap the loco bodies as the new one is very well detailed, and it will be back on Ebay, as for the tender, I think it could go behind a Hall or Grange? for a different loco

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Slightly OT but I had some good advice from Vectis a few years back when I had some good stuff to sell.  They said not to get too hung up on the price achieved of any individual piece but to set a target for the group of things.

We recently sold some TT stuff of my wife's on *bay, and most sold for better than we expected but a few (including a couple of small items with free postage) didn't do so well.  All in all we were well ahead.  ie even if you're just an individual seller having a clearout, if possible always imagine a target for the overall listing rather than cry in your beer about a couple that didn't do so well.

....as for the tender, I think it could go behind a Hall or Grange? for a different loco

If the width measures a scale 8'6", then you can only use it behind a "County".

If a scale 8' wide, then you can stick it behind a "Castle", "Hall" or "Modified Hall". Granges never had Hawksworth tenders.

Horsetan

Thanks for that, its 8' wide. So its for a Castle or Hall, The Jamieson and the Cotswold look to be 8' 6"

Just remembered and found that I have an unmade Cotswold kit for a Hawksworth tender. Just need to copy the interior layout, tool boxes etc.

Now I should really sort my kits out and match up chassis kits to bodies etc.

Recently I bought a Bristol Models chassis which had some castings with it, Well found a water dome, brake and water scoop handles and divider. On top of that lost of other parts for the spares box including 3 pairs of steps, brass hand rail knobs, tool boxes, buffers and a few other bits.

By the way would the Manor chassis fit any other GWR locos ?