Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

I suspect they will all be shipped at the same time in order to make shipping/customs etc easier. We haven't seen any livery samples of the BR ones yet. There just happened to be a production slot available earlier than expected, and these J70s were ready to go. (CJL)

Oh no - not another November delivery (based on my record of USA tank history/timetable) - that is already such a bad month (J36/LN/BeachyHd/poss SLW24...aaargh!!...perhaps I will have to rely on Bachmann and Hornby to slide in another slip!!)

Oh no - not another November delivery (based on my record of USA tank history/timetable) - that is already such a bad month (J36/LN/BeachyHd/poss SLW24...aaargh!!...perhaps I will have to rely on Bachmann and Hornby to slide in another slip!!)

Oh if you're stretched, I'd say make one of these little fellas your priority ;)

Not directly J70 related (it was filmed in 1961, after the line had switched to diesel), but this archived Anglia TV report gives a lot of useful background on how the W&U operated - including an example of inertia shunting, and some good shots of lengthy trains. It also illustrates the construction of the line very well, with both normal (sleepered) track and embedded in-road track. And, with the benefit of hindsight, it also shows why the line closed not long after this was recorded - the shots of road vehicles overtaking the trains on the sections where it ran parallel to the highway clearly demonstrate why HGVs put the W&U out of business.

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/139644

• Like 4

Not directly J70 related (it was filmed in 1961, after the line had switched to diesel), but this archived Anglia TV report gives a lot of useful background on how the W&U operated - including an example of inertia shunting, and some good shots of lengthy trains. It also illustrates the construction of the line very well, with both normal (sleepered) track and embedded in-road track. And, with the benefit of hindsight, it also shows why the line closed not long after this was recorded - the shots of road vehicles overtaking the trains on the sections where it ran parallel to the highway clearly demonstrate why HGVs put the W&U out of business.

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/139644

Thanks for sharing that Mark, it is a great link for those of us interested in the W&U :)

What a fantastic video, great find! :)

- Alex

Edit: And yes you can see why lines like this closed, In the 60s road was king. Who knew that years later we would have crippling congestion, roads that are falling apart and dangerous pollution levels.....it's a shame that short-sightedness always wins. ;)

When I first came up to Peterborough for my job interview, I went out to Wisbech to look for traces of the tramway. The area has changed a lot, particularly because the canal has been filled in and a road built on it in places. However, there are locations where its course is still identifiable and the buildings which appear in the background of photos are still there. I did manage one more visit before Outwell Village Depot was built over, and photographed and measured the goods office, which is now a listed building. Can't wait to get my hands on couple of J70s and to build a little layout. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 2

When I first came up to Peterborough for my job interview, I went out to Wisbech to look for traces of the tramway. The area has changed a lot, particularly because the canal has been filled in and a road built on it in places. However, there are locations where its course is still identifiable and the buildings which appear in the background of photos are still there. I did manage one more visit before Outwell Village Depot was built over, and photographed and measured the goods office, which is now a listed building. Can't wait to get my hands on couple of J70s and to build a little layout. (CJL)

As a teenager I was fascinated by the W&U and I remember 'pursuading' my Dad to follow the route on the way home after a holiday staying with relatives in Mildenhall. Obviously a lot of changes, particularly the loss of the canal and the fact that the flat fenland countryside quickly returned to agricultural uses, but there are still points and features that can be identified.

Let's hope Model Rail's investment in the tram locos will see an upsurge in interest in East Anglian railways, not only the W&U but also in the dock locations such as Ipswich, Lowestoft and Yarmouth. Personally I thank Chris and the MR team for driving this project forward. Whilst I am now focused on 7mm scale (having sold all my 4mm stock) I will undoubtedly be tempted by a couple of these little beauties in the course and may even develop a small layout to run them on. It is the ONLY loco that could have tempted me back into 4mm scale!! My wallet won't be grateful mind but I have started saving my pennies ;)

David

• Like 1

I'm currently trying to choose which version to order as my second one (I'm probably going for 68219), and have been doing some research on some of the candidates. I noticed 68222 didn't get its e/c until 1950, but according to BR Loco Database, it was renumbered in March 1949. No photos of it in 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' livery have surfaced on Google, but I appear to have found an interesting livery combination.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Wisbech_shed_%281950%29_02.jpg

There's no caption, but the photo is dated 1950 at Wisbech station. It's difficult to tell, but when zooming in it seems to depict 68222 in LNER wartime livery with 'NE' branding, carrying it's BR number 68222 on the bufferbeam but in the LNER wartime font.

Are there anymore photos of 68222 in this condition in either Yeadons or one of the books on the tramway? And would 8223 be suitable for renumbering to 68222?  

• Like 1

I'm currently trying to choose which version to order as my second one (I'm probably going for 68219), and have been doing some research on some of the candidates. I noticed 68222 didn't get its e/c until 1950, but according to BR Loco Database, it was renumbered in March 1949. No photos of it in 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' livery have surfaced on Google, but I appear to have found an interesting livery combination.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Wisbech_shed_%281950%29_02.jpg

There's no caption, but the photo is dated 1950 at Wisbech station. It's difficult to tell, but when zooming in it seems to depict 68222 in LNER wartime livery with 'NE' branding, carrying it's BR number 68222 on the bufferbeam but in the LNER wartime font.

Are there anymore photos of 68222 in this condition in either Yeadons or one of the books on the tramway? And would 8223 be suitable for renumbering to 68222?  

I wonder if our researcher has seen that photograph. Most interesting. If that's definitely 68222 on the buffer plank it seems odd that it has got so filthy within a year. If it was in that state before 1949 it needed a complete repaint rather than just renumbering. I'm sure I've seen photos of it looking smart in full BR livery. That will be quite a challenging weathering job. (CJL)

Chris,

Apologies if explained elsewhere and I have missed it but,with regard to pre-orders, is the money taken straight away or only at the time of shipping? Also, I have a friend who doesn't do internet buying/shopping. Can he pay by any alternative means? By sending a cheque perhaps?

Thanks very much,

David

Highlights the myriad of changes and subtle adaptions that were made over the years to both liveries and the physical condition of the trams (skirts/cow-catchers etc). The repair to BR colours would not have been immediate on nationalisation and many would have hung on to LNER branding well after 1948, one suspects especially if a loco was expected to be withdrawn in the near future (why spend any money if it is to be scrapped!).

Fascinating photograph though and offers all sorts of possibilties with regard to modelling :) I could be tempted with a wartime NE one to run alongside a BR one, representing the tramway in the late '40s/early '50s. Obviously rule one applies but that photograph gives added weight to legitimacy of the scenario!

Thanks for sharing,

David

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Apologies if explained elsewhere and I have missed it but,with regard to pre-orders, is the money taken straight away or only at the time of shipping? Also, I have a friend who doesn't do internet buying/shopping. Can he pay by any alternative means? By sending a cheque perhaps?

Thanks very much,

David

My understanding of how the process works, based on the order I placed, is that if you order online you pay the full amount by credit or debit card straightaway.  A few days later the full amount is credited back to your card account.  When the models are dispatched your card will be charged again.

I don't know about payment by cheque but your friend probably has a debit card at least or he/you should be able to clarify the options by calling Model Rail Offers on the number at the bottom of the ordering page http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/160/Project-J70

I wonder if our researcher has seen that photograph. Most interesting. If that's definitely 68222 on the buffer plank it seems odd that it has got so filthy within a year. If it was in that state before 1949 it needed a complete repaint rather than just renumbering. I'm sure I've seen photos of it looking smart in full BR livery. That will be quite a challenging weathering job. (CJL)

It's filthy condition is certainly odd, but the numbers above the bufferbeam definitely read 68222 to me. The fact that it's in that livery/numbering combination makes sense, as it gained its BR number over a year before it got the early crest, and there are no photos of it in any interim early BR condition. If your researcher can verify that its 68222, you can put me down for one in that condition in the second batch!  

One other question - I notice you're offering 68225 weathered. Have you got a computer generated image or a preproduction sample you can share with us that shows the weathering please? 

My understanding of how the process works, based on the order I placed, is that if you order online you pay the full amount by credit or debit card straightaway.  A few days later the full amount is credited back to your card account.  When the models are dispatched your card will be charged again.

I don't know about payment by cheque but your friend probably has a debit card at least or he/you should be able to clarify the options by calling Model Rail Offers on the number at the bottom of the ordering page http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/pg/160/Project-J70

It's usually done the same day.

If pre ordering it's best to do it in the daytime as I think the staff have to physically issue the "refund". They can't do it at three o'clock in the morning. ;)

Also try and make sure that you have enough in your account to cover it as you might not want your account to go overdrawn even for a few hours. The bank's computer systems might flag up that your account is overdrawn and then you get sent automatic letters or emails asking why you've gone overdrawn. It happened to me once. They might even charge you depending on your bank.

If you are a subscriber then don't forget your discount.

Jason

Thanks Teaky, Chris and Jason for you replied, that is really useful to know. I will get my friend to ring up to order. Useful to know about the taking payment and then issuing a refund... could catch people out as you say if they don't realise the process and realise they need enough in the account to cover the full amount upfront!

Cheers,

David

68222 at Colchester 1953 - unsure of copyright, photo collected for my Colchester layout.

Paul

Thanks for sharing Paul, a lovely image. I think I am going to go for 68222 and then maybe 68223 (or possibly as 8233 in wartime NE livery...) if I can afford a second! (Gosh i was supposed to have left 4mm scale behind!!). Suits my preferred W&U setting around nationalisation and into the early '50s. As talked of above, it seems some of the trams kept the NE branding beyond 1948, which offers chance for more variety of liveries in very early BR days.

One of my favourite ever layouts was Elmwell Village Depot, the revolving 'seasons' layout that modelled the tramway over the years. Maybe the chance to do something similar with a LNER, NE and BR example! :) and of course a GER version if one appears in the second batch.... ;)

Edited by south_tyne

There was no requirement I understand for side skirts to work Hythe Quay but I have photos showing J70 both with and without skirts.

68226 was the last of the class and allocated to Colchester. A couple more photos again unsure of copyright; 68226 BRITISH RAILWAYS without side skirts and unidentified with side skirts.

post-665-0-82047700-1533472441_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-11160300-1533472845_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Ohhh yes I LOVE that layout! I remember seeing it on an episode of Model Town and being captivated by it. :)

The episode featuring Elmwell is on YouTube: 

Edited by MarkSG
  • Like 2

Ohhh yes I LOVE that layout! I remember seeing it on an episode of Model Town and being captivated by it. :)

- Alex

Ditto! I saw it at Shipley exhibition when I was around 11/12 years old and was completely engrossed. I had always loved Toby and this helped confirm and develop a lifelong love of the W&U :)

Thanks for the link Mark, I've never seen that video before so will have a peruse......

Edited by south_tyne