Kernow MRC - Heljan Dogfish Weathered Packs OO Gauge

Andy Y

Kernow Model Rail Centre Press Release - Heljan Dogfish Weathered Packs OO Gauge

We are pleased to announce we have commissioned Heljan to produce three packs of the Dogfish model.  Each pack contains four wagons, each of which has individually finished wagons with markings unique to each.  Three liveries are available – BR Black, BR Olive Green and BR Civil Engineers Dutch.  All of these have then been buried beneath layers of rust and dirt!  The masters were provided by Mercig Studios and we have worked closely with Heljan to match this finish.

4101.jpg

K4101 – BR Black Weathered Dogfish Pack of 4

4102.jpg

K4102 – BR Olive Green Pack of 4

4103.jpg

K4103 – BR Civil Engineers Dutch Pack of 4

Each pack is limited to 300 pieces and are priced at £99.99 each plus postage

• RMweb Gold

Can anybody assist with the dates in service for these liveries please? What's the earliest livery and when would it have entered service?

The black is the earliest and probably goes back further than the model; Heljan's Dogfish represents the later version, fitted with roller bearings and oleo buffers. Earlier wagons were retro-fitted with them, but probably not while they were still black. 

The first Dogfish dated from 1956 and I think the roller bearings etc. started to appear on batches built from about 1960.

John

Can anybody assist with the dates in service for these liveries please? What's the earliest livery and when would it have entered service?

K4102 - The olive green ones have the TOPS code ZFV on the side which would have been applied around 1973 at the very earliest and then not straight away on most wagons,

as the TOPS code is also weathered this suggests a date several years after 1973.

K4103 - The 'dutch' livery first appeared around 1981/2, older wagons like these were not repainted straight away, or at all, and as these wagons are heavily weathered it suggests 

a date much later than 1982,

cheers

The black is the earliest and probably goes back further than the model; Heljan's Dogfish represents the later version, fitted with roller bearings and oleo buffers. Earlier wagons were retro-fitted with them, but probably not while they were still black. 

The first Dogfish dated from 1956 and I think the roller bearings etc. started to appear on batches built from about 1960.

John

Mr Larkin is not sure just saying that the last 3 lots MIGHT have been delivered in the Gulf red (he calls it Indian Red) livery?

• RMweb Gold

Mr Larkin is not sure just saying that the last 3 lots MIGHT have been delivered in the Gulf red (he calls it Indian Red) livery?

Thanks for that. I have one in Gulf Red and it will save me backdating the axleboxes and buffers as I do with my black ones - I'd already decided it wouldn't need as much weathering. :jester:  

John

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just received a pack of the Olive Green Dogfish. Very nice weathering. However I'm a little concerned about the wheel sets. After opening the pack I noticed that most had come loose. This could be a result of some rough handling during shipment but there were other items in the shipment (Bachmann) and they all seem to be ok. All wheel sets easily popped back into place, a little too easily if I'm honest, but all now feel very loose. Running seems to be ok on straight track but not great on curves. Should I be concerned or is there nothing to worry about? And if I do keep the wagons how do the loads come out - push fit or are they secured in some other way? Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

If Heljan have used the same tooling as for their own earlier releases, the axles will be 24.5mm long and the wheels 10.5mm diameter (i.e. continental HO spec.). The axles were a pretty loose fit in the ones I bought well as the wheels being under-scale diameter for a UK wagon. Unfortunately a British 26mm axle was a tight fit and wouldn't rotate.

I rectified mine using a Truck Tuner / Ed's Tool to deepen the bearing holes so they would take a set of Gibson 3-holes on standard axles. *

It improved both appearance and running no end. I also backdated my black ones with oil axle boxes but that's another story.

John

* The tool is obtainable from Wizard Models these days.

I clearly missed this initial announcement but Kernow have pulled out some fantastic looking models here! Whilst I don't have £100 to spare on 4 wagons, I do feel that this is a fair price for what is on offer and the limited numbers.

I believe that this is the first time this model has been available in BR black?

I have a set of 4 from the original Heljan release which have been awaiting livery back-dating as per a Hornby magazine article that followed their release. The images of the Kernow models show what I will be aiming for - something in between the Isle of Wight's almost pristine wagons and the work worn and rusty examples at Kingswear. Great stuff.

I have bought the BR black versions and am happy with them.

Form the postings above, the buffers and axle-boxes need changing.  I know I can get the buffers from Lanarkshire Models, but can anyone tell me which axle-boxes I should change them to, and where I can get them?

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_075.htm

TIA

Tom

• RMweb Premium

If Heljan have used the same tooling as for their own earlier releases, the axles will be 24.5mm long and the wheels 10.5mm diameter (i.e. continental HO spec.). The axles were a pretty loose fit in the ones I bought well as the wheels being under-scale diameter for a UK wagon. Unfortunately a British 26.5mm axle was a tight fit and wouldn't rotate.

I rectified mine using a Truck Tuner / Ed's Tool to deepen the bearing holes so they would take a set of Gibson 3-holes on standard axles. *

It improved both appearance and running no end. I also backdated my black ones with oil axle boxes but that's another story.

John

* The tool is obtainable from Wizard Models these days.

Many thanks John. I'll have a look on the Wizard Models website.

Archived