Possible new commissions?

PenrithBeacon

32-780 Bachmann 37 261 in original DRS livery limited edition.

32-392 Bachmann 37 688 in DRS Compass livery

32-393 Bachmann 37 884 in Europhoenix livery

All 2017 announcements and available without expensive tooling modifications. I know if you desire a particular (in this case sub-class) you will try and make a valid case for it but in the current climate of increasing cost's why would you (risk?) developing/altering tooling if you don't have too.

Steve

How about 37 116 in its Stratford livery of big numbers and yellow extended over the bonnet top and round the windows. Or 37358 in its blue livery with freightliner brandings named p&o containers. Both circa 1988 neither ever done by Lima, but both unique and in the case of 37116 very eye catching. Not modern I know but certainly of interest

Now they are nice locos, with regards DRS Crewe on a missions list ... too many locos, plus how long now adays does it take to sell 512 of a model, along time unless it is a 'special model'.

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Premium

Now they are nice locos, with regards DRS Crewe on a missions list ... too many locos, plus how long now adays does it take to sell 512 of a model, along time unless it is a 'special model'.

Regards,

C.

I wasn't suggesting that all of the Class 37s that I listed to be produced because I know that Bachmann wouldn't produce all running numbers.

I was listing the locos to make suggestions from the list. I was commenting about the types of noses and lighting that they have and this hasn't yet been modelled except from on 37605 which was a Limited Edition from R3Sprays and Olivia's Trains a few years ago.

As 159220 has suggested four of the locos could be produced with one change/modification to the tooling. This could produce 606-609.

This batch of four locos could include lots of liveries including: DRS Blue, DRS Compass, DRS Revised, Europhoenix and HNRC if and when it is applied to 607. This seems like a very good idea and must be worth the modification to the tooling as they could potentially produce five different liveries and several running numbers from those four locos.

As I have mentioned though this wouldn't make it possible to produce 423 and 611 with the headcode noses which would be a shame.

Unless the tooling could be altered to two modifications. Headcode noses would allow 218, 259, 423 and 611 to be produced which could also incorporate several different liveries.

I know that it really wouldn't make sense to upgrade the tooling for the door style locos which are 602 and 605 as 605 has already been produced as Limited Edition and resprays of 602 have been done before. It doubt it would be financially viable to upgrade to the door tooling just to model one loco as 37602.

Although as mentioned above producing the flush and headcode nosed 37s with working wipac lighting must surely be possible judging by all of the running numbers and liveries that could be produced.

• 2 weeks later...

God , here we go again .

Now what do I think that Bachman can make that'll actually sell ?

Well Scotland is popular - more 37s/47s . People lap up this stuff .

Joining in with the fantasists - personally I don't want every DRS engine .

I'll have everything based at old oak from 1980 - 1985 , and everything that was ever owned by EWS .

I'll have to delay getting the Porsche

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

An amended list of locos that I would like to see produced as Limited Editions in OO Gauge are:

37219 in Colas Rail livery named Jonty Jarvis

37254 in Colas Rail livery named Cardiff Canton with depot plaques

37403 in BR Large Logo livery named Isle Of Mull

37407 in BR Large Logo livery (which may be named when released from Derby)

37714 in RailFreight Metals livery named Cardiff Canton

47812 & 47815 in Blue with Rail Operations Group Lettering (these two have different noses and headlight clusters)

66055 & 66066 with names

66136 with London & China stickers applied

66528 in Freightliner Powerhaul livery and named

66619 in original Freightliner livery with G & W company branding and named

66743 & 66746 in Belmond Royal Scotsman livery

66849 & 66850 in Colas Rail livery and named

It would also be nice to see some more original Freightliner 66s with names e.g 66506, 66526 and 66585.

If tooling was upgraded for any Limited Editions it would be nice to see some 37s with the new noses and wipac lighting in a variety of liveries including DRS Compass, DRS Revised, DRS Basic, Europhoenix, BR Green as 37610 now wears and possibly HNRC Orange if 607 and 612 receive it.

I doubt they'll do 2 similar ish colas 37s or for that matter 3 similar DBc ones. Just renumber them and stick a name on.

There's only so much factory space to make stuff and it has to sell. Not just to you !

• RMweb Premium

I doubt they'll do 2 similar ish colas 37s or for that matter 3 similar DBc ones. Just renumber them and stick a name on.

There's only so much factory space to make stuff and it has to sell. Not just to you !

That's true and I see your point.

I was going to buy a Colas 37421 to renumber to 219 but 219 has now been named Jonty Jarvis so I would rather have it as a Limited Edition than a renumber.

I'm really pleased that DBC are applying small running numbers to the cabs of the 66s and having them on the sides in the middle as EWS did. It makes for such easier renumbering.

I will happily renumber some of the above locos but I would just rather have them as a Limited Edition with a certificate if they were produced.

God , here we go again .

Now what do I think that Bachman can make that'll actually sell ?

Well Scotland is popular - more 37s/47s . People lap up this stuff .

Joining in with the fantasists - personally I don't want every DRS engine .

I'll have everything based at old oak from 1980 - 1985 , and everything that was ever owned by EWS .

I'll have to delay getting the Porsche

Forget model trains.Get the Porsche !!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For me too many suggestions are either unusual liveries or named locos. Look at what Kernow have achieved with their weathered NSE branded Scotrail 47/7. No name, just a good old workhorse so rarely available in RTR.

Roy

• Like 1

The trouble with limited editions now-a-days is, not having 504 made, but finding 504 people who want to spend £150+ on a loco!  

Its got to be something pretty special like the Underground 66's and even 66718 is still in stock (although I believe they did up the order on both due to demand)!  Likewise 66720 is still available from a well known magazine too!

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Premium

The trouble with limited editions now-a-days is, not having 504 made, but finding 504 people who want to spend £150+ on a loco!  

Its got to be something pretty special like the Underground 66's and even 66718 is still in stock (although I believe they did up the order on both due to demand)!  Likewise 66720 is still available from a well known magazine too!

Regards,

C.

That's very true. Like you say the smallest batch size is 504 with others been 512 and 750.

Considering that some of the above locos that I have suggested may not sell all of the batch. 47812 and 47815 are examples of this. Both 47s and good locos, that see regular use on the network but they haul units/passenger trains. The downfall to these two may be how many people have the appropriate passenger trains to run with them. I know that I haven't and they don't usually operate any freight trains which means it limits what people who are prototypical would run them with.

On the other hand I'm sure the 37s in a variety of liveries would be a winner. You only have to look at the Rail Exclusive DRS & NB 47s that were sold in 2014/2015. The majority of these models were sold/spoken for before they were released/delivered. Likewise Bachmann have just announced three Class 20/3s. Two of which are in DRS livery whilst the third is in HNRC Orange livery, which previously had also been a DRS loco.

Personally as has been mentioned before if tooling for 37606-37609 was upgraded and these locos produced it would also allow for 37038, 059 and 069 to be produced. These eight locos could be produced in a variety of liveries, giving everyone the option to acquire the ones they want and it would also allow for people to renumber the locos.

610 and 612 could even be produced if people renumbered them and ignored the minor differences.

Just my opinion here and some may disagree but I honestly think that any DRS loco or ex DRS loco will sell well.

That's very true. Like you say the smallest batch size is 504 with others been 512 and 750.

Considering that some of the above locos that I have suggested may not sell all of the batch. 47812 and 47815 are examples of this. Both 47s and good locos, that see regular use on the network but they haul units/passenger trains. The downfall to these two may be how many people have the appropriate passenger trains to run with them. I know that I haven't and they don't usually operate any freight trains which means it limits what people who are prototypical would run them with.

On the other hand I'm sure the 37s in a variety of liveries would be a winner. You only have to look at the Rail Exclusive DRS & NB 47s that were sold in 2014/2015. The majority of these models were sold/spoken for before they were released/delivered. Likewise Bachmann have just announced three Class 20/3s. Two of which are in DRS livery whilst the third is in HNRC Orange livery, which previously had also been a DRS loco.

Personally as has been mentioned before if tooling for 37606-37609 was upgraded and these locos produced it would also allow for 37038, 059 and 069 to be produced. These eight locos could be produced in a variety of liveries, giving everyone the option to acquire the ones they want and it would also allow for people to renumber the locos.

610 and 612 could even be produced if people renumbered them and ignored the minor differences.

Just my opinion here and some may disagree but I honestly think that any DRS loco or ex DRS loco will sell well.

To be honest I think the only people who really know what sells well is Bachmann, which is why Scottish 37s are pumped out.

Super up to date is only a tiny percentage of a small market and it must be a nightmare as the stuff is constantly changing colour s

Without drawing on the price debate too much, the model locomotive market has become pretty much saturated.  DRS can sell, however in the case of the Rail Exclusive 47's even they were cut down to a run of 400, from originally going to be 500.  Most previous models under Rail Express were 750 to 1000 units!  At £70-£80, for limited editions they sold quick.  Now like I say, its finding 504 people who want to spend £150!  People are being much more selective, and likewise traders are now commissioning whole new models, ie Dynameter Car, Snow Ploughs, L&SWR Gate Stock, & J70 Trams, because the traditional limited edition market and demand for 504 paint jobs of an existing tooling, does not exist, except in exceptional circumstances.

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Premium

Possible new commissions and wish lists are two very different things. I'd take "Possible New Commissions" as something that is very likely to happen. Not just a list of what different people would like to see

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

The problem is whenever a thread like this comes up (or similarly any announcement of a forthcoming announcement thread) the same faces duly open their Word document and copy & paste their pipe dream wish list straight into the thread.

Oh, and then someone usually chips in with The Fell of course...

• RMweb Premium

and then someone usually chips in with The Fell of course...

Ive been waiting for that lol. My problem is, this thread was started off with a genuine question, and within 10 posts, a massive wish list had been posted, as though people feel they have the right to tell Rails of Sheffield what to produce. Just bugs me that's all.

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

I agree that the listing of shed loads of particular locos is not helpful, what is of value is a discussion of concepts that will make a great limited edition. That way Rails, and others, may learn what we want and will sell.

Roy