Olivia's Trains BOC VBA and Cryogenics TEA

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

It's got nothing to do with how much it costs to make one, I'm referring, (not complaining), to the selling costs, a benchmark has been set, and we can rightly or wrongly make inferences from the facts we have to hand.

Mike.

Hi

So all factories charge the same manufacturing costs then. Without knowing what the costs are for both parties (something neither are going to reveal) then there is no way to know.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi

So all factories charge the same manufacturing costs then. Without knowing what the costs are for both parties (something neither are going to reveal) then there is no way to know.

Cheers

Paul

Where did I say that.

I shall gracefully withdraw from this thread so as not to cause further friction.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Where did I say that.

I shall gracefully withdraw from this thread so as not to cause further friction.

Mike.

Hi

Here

It's got nothing to do with how much it costs to make one.

Mike.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

It's got nothing to do with how much it costs to make one, I'm referring, (not complaining), to the selling costs, a benchmark has been set, and we can rightly or wrongly make inferences from the facts we have to hand.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I can see what you're saying but please remember that Revolution models are crowd-funded.

For those ready to pay up front for models not yet produced the reward is the model they want that may not otherwise have seen the light of day at a one-off price that covers just the design, tooling, production and shipping.

We do not keep stock for sale post-production, so there is no retail price from us.

C&M Models, Colletts, Kernow and Trains4U have ordered from us to satisfy the market among those who preferred to wait, and the thread on 00 TEA tankers will give an indication of what they consider to be fair retail prices.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

It strikes me that this is a very good way to go about things. You can order early, fund the model and get it cheaper. However, if you haven’t the cash to hand, didn’t notice the project in time, change your mind or want more models, then, thanks to the vision of these four retailers, all is not lost.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello again!

Well despite the price (£75 pristine, £80 weathered) I have now pre-ordered four of the TEA's (84631-34) on Glouc GPS bogies, given that the engineering samples have appeared on the Heljan stand at Warley, and Olivia's have now opened a fully detailed page on their website - http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Heljan/heljan_wagons/Heljan-100ton-wagons-boc-livery/

Delivery still being quoted as Q4 2017, which seems somewhat heroic. But I guess they are months away rather than years now.

I need these to complement my stock specific to the Sheerness branch layout, for the Sheerness Steel plant, planned but not yet under construction. Given the BOC transfers would be a special commission, and the re-paint of new TEAs, plus probably re-bogied purchases, would almost certainly come to at least the same, if not a whole lot more plus extended timescales and hopeful quality, I am happy with this price.

• RMweb Premium

What is the difference between oxygen and nitrogen versions if any? Which ran over the Woodhead route?

Hi

As far as I can tell the lettering saying either Nitrogen or Oxygen and the hazard panel having a different UN code for each gas.

Cheers

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Question, i`m thinking of getting some of these, but when did these get different bogies? Was it the Mk4 originally and the GPS later? If so, when?

I am after running the train as it ran over the woodhead.

Also, what would be the right length for the woodhead?

• RMweb Gold

Question, i`m thinking of getting some of these, but when did these get different bogies? Was it the Mk4 originally and the GPS later? If so, when?

I am after running the train as it ran over the woodhead.

Also, what would be the right length for the woodhead?

Booked for 10 bogies and usually ran as such, sometimes with the van attached.

I think, but may be corrected, that 10 bogies filled up the oxygen recieving tanks, as the Ditton - Wembley was also 10, perhaps a standard size storage tank system, maybe for safety?

Mike.

As far as I can work out, the bogies differed according to the builder. They were all built in 1970 or just after. Those built by Procor were to Design Code TEO13C (Oxygen) or 13D (Nitrogen) using Gloucester GPS bogies. Those built by Charles Roberts were to Design Code TEO13F (both Oxygen and Nitrogen I believe. I cannot see any other design code being used to separate the two) using Gloucester Mk IV bogies. I cannot see any pattern to the BOC numbering system, but I guess there must be one!

Edited by Mike Storey

Hello again!

Well despite the price (£75 pristine, £80 weathered) I have now pre-ordered four of the TEA's (84631-34) on Glouc GPS bogies, given that the engineering samples have appeared on the Heljan stand at Warley, and Olivia's have now opened a fully detailed page on their website - http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Heljan/heljan_wagons/Heljan-100ton-wagons-boc-livery/

Delivery still being quoted as Q4 2017, which seems somewhat heroic. But I guess they are months away rather than years now.

I need these to complement my stock specific to the Sheerness branch layout, for the Sheerness Steel plant, planned but not yet under construction. Given the BOC transfers would be a special commission, and the re-paint of new TEAs, plus probably re-bogied purchases, would almost certainly come to at least the same, if not a whole lot more plus extended timescales and hopeful quality, I am happy with this price.

Mike,

Were these tanks used much at Sheerness? I saw some in 1994.

post-1373-0-78203800-1516218146_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-50217500-1516218184_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 4

Mike,

Were these tanks used much at Sheerness? I saw some in 1994.

attachicon.gifL-135 SH 13-8-94 TEA BOC 84612.jpg

attachicon.gifL-130 SH 13-8-94 TEA BOC 84612.jpg

Cheers.

Hi Paul

Yes, they were needed for the scrap processing done by Sheerness Steel into finished products. They never arrived as block trains, but as part of the trip workings from Hoo. You might see none one week, and three or four would turn up the next, depending on their workload. (I believe at first they used road tanker delivery for their Oxygen, but it reverted to rail pretty soon, although I think they must have gone back to road from time to time - the Freight Rep at Waterloo was not terribly forthcoming on these matters in the few visits he made.) I had no direct activity in ordering them on TOPS (in my time in the early '80's, S/Steel had to ring me to order only empties for them on TOPS via our terminal at AMO Gillingham, and later, at AMO Margate, such as their SPA's, JXA's, and BDA's etc,). Loaded wagon movements were ordered via the Regional Freight team. I would only know the Oxygen tanks were coming when I looked at the inward consists for that day. We had no special arrangements as all our crews had to do was place them inside the reception road at Sheerness, and the Sheerness Steel in-house shunter would then arrange to cut and shunt them, and then arrange disposal.

I would only get worried if any were deigned to be a cripple and we would have to park it up at Queenborough, on the back road, awaiting the CM&EE van. But we never had one of them fail, unlike HAA's (off Ridham workings), BDA's, Cartics and Autics, usually hot boxes, which were forever filling up my yard.....

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 1