Oxford Rail car packs for carflats

Dr.Glum

I was in Hattons this afternoon and had a look at the 1960's 4 car set no. OR76CPK001 to go with the carflats I was buying. I decided I'd have one.

John went and got one for me and when we looked, the contents were different, with only a black Citroen DS in common. In fact the one he sold me suited me better, having the DS, a red Austin A40, a grey Austin A60 Cambridge and a green soft-top tourer (Armstrong Siddeley? Alvis?). There are no individual labels on the 4 boxes. The set I didn't take had a Jenson and another large saloon that didn't look as 'ordinary' as the selection in my pack.

So beware if you order on the basis of "I'll have one the same as the one my mate bought".

• RMweb Gold

I think these sets were announced as a random selection of cars - rather than a specific selection. Seems an odd way to do things.

http://oxfordrail.com/76/OR76CPK.htm

Not really

if you have a train load of carflats, unless you were modelling a train loaded with new cars direct from a car factory, the cars on the wagons are highly unlikely to be the same on each wagon.

Not really

if you have a train load of carflats, unless you were modelling a train loaded with new cars direct from a car factory, the cars on the wagons are highly unlikely to be the same on each wagon.

So when you order a set by mail order you have no clue what you will be getting. Seems a recipe for disappointment. I wonder if there are convertibles with the tops down in the random selections? 

• RMweb Gold

These products have always been advertised as a random selection of vehicles.  Where did anybody get the idea that they would all be the same?  The purpose is to provide loads for randomly loaded car flats.  I would be dissapointed if I bought two packs that had two cars that were the same!
IMHO Oxford are doing the right thing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

These products have always been advertised as a random selection of vehicles. Where did anybody get the idea that they would all be the same? The purpose is to provide loads for randomly loaded car flats. I would be dissapointed if I bought two packs that had two cars that were the same!

+1

Bit of a Ronseal job, you get what it says...

Roy

• Like 1

Not really

But for many years that was a principal use of Carflats, as it was towards the end of their lives - although that was often with Transit vans. There shouldn't be a mix of car manufacturers only of cars, and then all for a period.

Paul

These products have always been advertised as a random selection of vehicles.  Where did anybody get the idea that they would all be the same?  The purpose is to provide loads for randomly loaded car flats.  I would be dissapointed if I bought two packs that had two cars that were the same!

Yes fair do'; if one goes to the Oxford Rail web-site it says " A randomly chosen assortment of cars suitable for use on Carflat railway wagons during the specific decade. Please note assortment will vary."

At time I was making my buying decision I was unaware of this. Neither of the two gentlemen on store duty yesterday were aware.

As I have a preference for vehicles and liveries that were common in the era, it was fortunate I was able to see the product before ordering, and I'm very pleased with what I've bought.

• Like 1

Would the carflats be used as one or 2 in a train of Mk 1 carriages on an Anglo-Scottish or London - Penzance holiday train, or a complete train from a factory to a port for exporting new vehicles? Or even for distribution within the UK?

Edited by PrestburyJack

• RMweb Premium

I saw the random selection and thought that's a good idea for a motorail but what put me off was Oxford's image of a section of cars from which the four would be selected and three of them were police cars. I never saw a police car on a motorail!

• RMweb Gold

Would the carflats be used as one or 2 in a train of Mk 1 carriages on an Anglo-Scottish or London - Penzance holiday train, or a complete train from a factory to a port for exporting new vehicles? Or even for distribution within the UK?

Generally not 1 or 2 - a ratio of 2 flats to 1 day coach or sleeper was about right as 2 flats = 8 cars so 1 coach worth of passengers if the occupants of each car have a compartment each

Phil

They also appeared in mixed freight trains, both 'traditional' and 'Speedlink', either conveying small numbers of new vehicles to places where there wouldn't be enough demand for a complete train, or carrying Land Rovers and such-like for the military.

• Like 1