Springsbury Croft.'O' gauge 1977-'87 era depot.

Thanks! Yes i will use it CME! I have just one small packet of static stuff at the mo' as it's not cheap, and getting hold of it around here is hard, it seems to sell out very quickly! Choosing the right colours is the hardest thing to do and I've never used or done any landscape modeling before so please bare with me as i build up the layers, and try and copy off what others have done. I'm trying to get it all done whilst we still have the lovely bright natural Summer light and not under any artificial lighting. :)

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

Its fun to use from a puffer bottle, or best value is FMR applicator.

With scenery it's a case of, for photos, for lighting and/or for MK1 eyeball.

If it still looks too bright tone down with an airbrush, I understand that Pendon use LNER Apple Green!

Its all looking rather fine so far mate!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Tried a bit of moss effect by sticking some scatter stuff on the stone effect walling and some water  running leaking through the mortar.  it's OK up to now but needs a lot more detailing yet...some ferns would be nice and long grasses.

post-31611-0-58619200-1529918011_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-94474200-1529918041_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-06059400-1529918066_thumb.jpg  

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Well a bit more progress has been made over the past few weeks, and i got the last of the ballast PVA glued down last eve' and i hand brushed as much loose stuff off as i could this morning when dry, there's still a lot of ballast to pick off and to 'Hoover' up yet before swmbo see's the mess :scared:  I made a small line side hut of card and brick paper, and i also made a low brick wall and put it along the front and on top of a small embankment i made from layers of foam board off-cuts which i then smothered in a layer of crack filler. A few plants have been stuck about but nothing is finished or in its final place yet, but it all gives me ideas and the look of how it might finally be. The last two pics' now show clearly the stepped differences in heights of the three tracks..  :)

post-31611-0-34016200-1531567625_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-84119700-1531567644_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-68713400-1531567667_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-66358500-1531567687_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-28441600-1531567711_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Great progress. I hadn't realised the tracks were on different levels. One tip I learned about vacuuming up ballast is to put a nylon stocking over the nozzle to catch the ballast. It can then be emptied into a container to be re-used.

Are you going to add graffiti to the wall? 

Ian

Are you going to add graffiti to the wall? 

Ian

Is there any graffiti at Bury i can copy off Ian?  :jester: The excess ballast was thrown onto the garden line, it'll soon get washed away 'cos and i have no use for anymore...this is enough to be messing about for now with thanks!  :mosking:

Is there any graffiti at Bury i can copy off Ian?  :jester: The excess ballast was thrown onto the garden line, it'll soon get washed away 'cos and i have no use for anymore...this is enough to be messing about for now with thanks!  :mosking:

Come to think of it I don't think there is! It does seem to be everywhere though. We do have it on coaches, but I don't recall seeing any on walls or bridges etc.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I sprayed some areas of the track bed the other eve' whilst 'She' was out and with all the windows fully open! I used a pound shop can of Matt Black and it came out ok and it's slowly getting to look better and slowly i'm building it up a layer at a time. After some recent wheelin' and deelin'  i've just bought another Dapol 08, my grand total of 08's being two :mosking: It will be another locally known loco' to me and will be done as the White wheeled and Red Buffered 08 129 from Newton Heath depot, which was later transferred to 'Springs branch' it's another weathering job that can wait for the darker, colder nights. I've put my name down at a certain shop in Blackpool for a 25/3 and a 47, both are not due out yet so it gives me enough time to save up or sell summat! I've also ordered a brake van and one MGR wagon, all is plenty enough for my little display and to keep me busy learning to use an air brush and how to weather them all up properly one day. :)  

post-31611-0-51783100-1532512327_thumb.jpg

A view (having climbed over over the wall :mosking: ) of the fueling point and shed that i'm trying to replicate from the real Springs Branch Depot at Cecil st. Lower Ince, Wigan.. :)

post-31611-0-87477700-1532512354_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-34669000-1532512401_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-46769900-1532512439_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Cheap camera and bad light so bad pics i'm afraid, the recent purchase 08129 joins 08130. Numbers and double arrows made by Railtec Models, then given just a light wash with a 50/50 mixture of matt Black and Humbrol Chocolate Brown No.98. It will suffice until i master an air brush. :scratchhead:

post-31611-0-15555700-1533805663_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-69258000-1533805748_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Nice to see the two 08s. Mastering an airbrush will add to your options, but I rarely use just an airbrush for weathering. My techniques include dry brushing and powders to name two along with others. The Art of Weathering by Martin Welch is my bible for all things weathering related. Airbrushing for modellers by George Dent is my reference for airbrushing.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Nothing more has been done as yet on this layout as i'm saving it as a Winter project, but i did get to buy a new Dapol HAA coal wagon and weather it up, i made a fake load using plastic card and some real coal was smashed up into dust and stuck on by using clear thick nail varnish..

post-31611-0-92793700-1537783389_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-54738400-1537783417_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I asked the very same question on the Dapol products topic pages the other day Steve, it seems the wagons were fed through by using rubber tyred wheels rubbing on both wagon sides, some used Tranny van tyres from what i read and there is a very good pic' of them posted up there that explains a lot to me i did'nt know as well. I might have been around back then but i never saw any being filled or emptied until years later but that was a different method...so i only ever saw the side view of them whilst travelling past  me. :jester:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Only just found this - great modelling and techniques in the thread.

Staying tuned :good:

Thanks Pete' i'm not as quick or prolific as a lot of modelers are on here and i'm still learning a lot, but the Winter is coming and the dark nights mean more modeling time. I recently did my best on hand weathering these two wagons, one is the new Dapol brake van and the other is a Parkside kit built 16t coal wagon, i'll finish them off  proper when i've finally had a chance to practice and mastered the air brush.  :locomotive:

post-31611-0-59565200-1540201212_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Pete' i'm not as quick or prolific as a lot of modelers are on here and i'm still learning a lot, but the Winter is coming and the dark nights mean more modeling time. I recently did my best on hand weathering these two wagons, one is the new Dapol brake van and the other is a Parkside kit built 16t coal wagon, i'll finish them off  proper when i've finally had a chance to practice and mastered the air brush.  :locomotive:

You're being too modest Bob.

Ian

Thanks Lads! Especially to you CME  :locomotive: I copied the weathering and rusty effect on the 16.t. coal wagon from a superb article you did for the garden rail mag' in 2013, a mag' i had just been given only a few weeks ago. I will need a lot of practice before i can get to your standards though, and i'm hoping to get the air brush set up soon and start practicing very hard. The new 25/3 is due to arrive tomorrow, i hope i can get up enough courage up to tackle its weathering... :O I'm hoping to number it as this one seen in my old fading pic' 25 095 seen passing near Eccles 28-6-'83. with TDB999503 in tow. I was working at a place called Lee Electric Lighting at the time and would sneak around the back whenever i heard owt coming down the line  :mosking:  Would be nice to model this coach, so if anybody knows what it actually did and if there's a kit available?  i'd love to know. :)

post-31611-0-99739400-1540369854_thumb.jpg

Bob, The coach is an LMS inspection saloon. Usually used for all sorts of purposes such as by engineers for inspections, and route learning. There's a thread on here which might help. https://www.flickr.com/photos/131767300@N05/albums/72157702713569445

It's been done in O gauge too, see this thread. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100802-ex-lms-diag-d2046-inspection-saloon/

Ian

Thanks Ian some great info and links there, what a lovely model coach that is.  :) My new 25/3 arrived this week, its early days but i've done a slight bit of basic weathering on it, i sprayed the roof with pound shop matt Black and it's surprising how different doing just that makes it look, next i did the underframes with my own made up shade of Humbrol matt enamels of various rusty and mucky Browns, after experimenting and mixing for a while i was happy with the final shade for the base coat which can be built upon and detailed up later, a driver was fitted from a cut down Slaters figure but will need to be a lot less glossy....thanks Humbrol!.... matt Black my ar$£, :mosking:  The plastic brightness of the cab was toned down with some of the underframes thinned down mucky Brown. Other than that i've left it as is for now. I'll now number it as 25 302 (From Railtec) just as the real thing can be seen in my old pic' from 26th Dec' 1981 :O  God! is it really so long ago!  :swoon: It was a SP loco for a few years at least. :D

post-31611-0-17394200-1540628477_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-56162700-1540628500_thumb.jpg

Wigan Springs Branch Dec' 1981.

post-31611-0-74845400-1540628529_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Lads! Especially to you CME  :locomotive: I copied the weathering and rusty effect on the 16.t. coal wagon from a superb article you did for the garden rail mag' in 2013, a mag' i had just been given only a few weeks ago. I will need a lot of practice before i can get to your standards though, and i'm hoping to get the air brush set up soon and start practicing very hard. The new 25/3 is due to arrive tomorrow, i hope i can get up enough courage up to tackle its weathering... :O I'm hoping to number it as this one seen in my old fading pic' 25 095 seen passing near Eccles 28-6-'83. with TDB999503 in tow. I was working at a place called Lee Electric Lighting at the time and would sneak around the back whenever i heard owt coming down the line  :mosking:  Would be nice to model this coach, so if anybody knows what it actually did and if there's a kit available?  i'd love to know. :)

attachicon.gif2011-08-10 20.15.29.jpg

Cracking photos! Thanks for the kind words too, I'm so happy to hear that an old article of mine has helped you get more enjoyment from this wonderful hobby of ours.

Kindest regards,

CME