Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Peter Gray

devonseasider

• RMweb Gold

Likewise l also have been dreading this news. I knew Peter quite well. A real gentleman with an incredibly encyclopedic knowledge of all sorts of railways both at home and abroad. His slide shows were always enlightening and enjoyable.

He was one of the outstanding authors on West Country railways going way back. Many of us will have some of his works on our book shelves.

What a shame. I like his books as he had a knack for capturing the more work-a-day aspects of the railway rather than just the same 3/4 shots of the named expresses. His albums are a real treasure trove for anyone modelling the west-country.

RIP

I thought I'd post this picture of one of Peter's last visits to Ramchester. I've added captions to identify Peter along with the user names of the RMWebbers who were there.

post-12623-0-60264700-1507057559.jpeg

Although he was best known for his pictures of West Country steam he also visited and photographed many overseas railways. Unfortunately these have been rarely published.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Very sad news, a highlight for me of visiting the Exe MRS shows in recentish years had been chatting to Peter on and off the RCTS stand.

A lovely chap and very accomplished photographer, I have many of his books and look at them regularly. What a great service he did all of us in recording the railway scene, and not least in carrying on with his photography once the diesels arrived.

RIP Peter, much missed.

Simon Castens

So sorry to hear this news - somewhat belatedly. I contacted Peter, on and off, when I needed particular illustrations for articles. He was always charming and helpful, and willing to entrust his wonderful original slides to publishers. The most recent occasion was a couple of years ago when our annual 'How to build a Model Railway' publication featured the Wenfordbridge line. I borrowed Peter's wonderful picture of a Beattie Well Tank emerging between the cottages at Hellandbridge. Sincere condolences to his family and friends. (CHRIS LEIGH)

• RMweb Gold

Just received from a friend.

"Please see attached obituary for Peter Gray which appeared in yesterday's 'Herald Express'. As you can imagine his funeral, which I attended, was very well attended and he would have loved the send off. A priest from the Railway Mission conducted the service and there were recordings played from the Argo Transacord LP 'West of Exeter' with Kings, Halls and Granges on Dainton bank. Wonderful! There were tributes from members and friends from the Great Western Society and RCTS."

Peter Gray obituary HEx.pdf

It's taken the Herald Express long enough seeing Peter died on the 2nd!

The funeral was indeed well attended - I think most of the seats in the chapel were taken. There was just one hymn 'All Things Brunel and Beautiful' and we entered the chapel to Flanders and Swann's 'Slow Train'. All in all he had quite a fitting send off.

• 1 year later...