Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Should those who display at exhibitions engage with members of the public?

Jamiel

Even if the exhibitor has to stop the train because they can't shunt and talk at the same time, they should still engage with the public.

That does raise another issue in that if they do stop running trains to answer questions they are then failing to entertain (perhaps even not engaging with) other viewers/paying customers who wish to watch model trains running.

And there are some people who you may not want to talk to, for example the infamous 'announcer' who I'd not seen for several years but noticed at the Tonbridge show on Saturday.

G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That does raise another issue in that if they do stop running trains to answer questions they are then failing to entertain (perhaps even not engaging with) other viewers/paying customers who wish to watch model trains running.

And there are some people who you may not want to talk to, for example the infamous 'announcer' who I'd not seen for several years but noticed at the Tonbridge show on Saturday.

G

Ah Murray as we have called him. He’s entertained us over many years but he is enjoying himself and we have often talked to him. Our most memorable moment was when someone asked to borrow a small screwdriver to fix their glasses. He announced that this person should have gone to Spec-savers.

We have had viewers moan that it’s been 10 seconds since the last train dissappeared through the backscene and walked off. You can’t please everyone.

• Like 1

Well, where do I start, having two American exhibition layouts which I operate from the front to interact with the public and also try to keep things running, i'd say yes.

But the only problem I find that most of the punters at exhibitions take one look and just walk straight by, muttering "just another American layout" would love to educate these people in everything about American railroading, if they would only stop, those who do stop (mostly there interested in American trains) enjoy there experience and come back for more( and no money changed hands).

So next time these people are at an exhibition and some ones standing operating in front of an American layout, STOP, engage, you might enjoy the experience, you may come away educated, but if you don't a least you tried, were all in the hobby to entertain, but if they don't want to stop it's there loss, many people have been converted to the darkside by stopping and asking question, may be there afraid the'll get hook too!!

Ray

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well, where do I start, having two American exhibition layouts which I operate from the front to interact with the public and also try to keep things running, i'd say yes.

But the only problem I find that most of the punters at exhibitions take one look and just walk straight by, muttering "just another American layout" would love to educate these people in everything about American railroading, if they would only stop, those who do stop (mostly there interested in American trains) enjoy there experience and come back for more( and no money changed hands).

So next time these people are at an exhibition and some ones standing operating in front of an American layout, STOP, engage, you might enjoy the experience, you may come away educated, but if you don't a least you tried, were all in the hobby to entertain, but if they don't want to stop it's there loss, many people have been converted to the darkside by stopping and asking question, may be there afraid the'll get hook too!!

Ray

Don't worry too much - there's plenty of "Just another xxxxxx layout", where xxxxxx is narrow gauge, diesel, European, GWR BLT, N gauge, insert layout type of choice.

It's their loss.

Good modelling is good modelling whatever the scale, era or location.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

Ray

No matter what country the layout is based in, what scale its in, what gauge its modelling, I will always stop and have a look. I appreciate the time and money they have put into that layout,  and if I exhibited, I know I would be annoyed if someone walked past and went ''just another xxxxxx layout''.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think that an experience that is seemingly on the surface on a par with a trip to the Opera or a Gallery of old masters is more akin to Modern performance art, in particular the works of Marina Abramovic. The basic human psyche is often and quite quickly brought out in stranger ways than could ever be imagined, but I never realised not seeing a train for ten seconds or one with a copper capped chimney would have the same effect...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No matter what country the layout is based in, what scale its in, what gauge its modelling, I will always stop and have a look. I appreciate the time and money they have put into that layout,  and if I exhibited, I know I would be annoyed if someone walked past and went ''just another xxxxxx layout''.

Hi Luke

And that is when some people are being polite about your many hours of work.

There are loads of areas of model raiwlays that do not interest me, if I am viewing on my own I just walk past with no comment. If I am with a friend who wants to look at something I am not keen on I will watch it and wait until he/she wants to move on. I might once out of ear shot say quietly to my fiend it was not my cup of tea but never to the operators. I have had too many "Its another ##### diesel depot" in my time.

Hi Luke

And that is when some people are being polite about your many hours of work.

There are loads of areas of model raiwlays that do not interest me, if I am viewing on my own I just walk past with no comment. If I am with a friend who wants to look at something I am not keen on I will watch it and wait until he/she wants to move on. I might once out of ear shot say quietly to my fiend it was not my cup of tea but never to the operators. I have had too many "Its another ##### diesel depot" in my time.

We all have our own interests. I am not interested in everything. but I'm not going to walk up to a layout and say "its just another xxxxxx layout" but I do pay attention to all the layouts at an exhibition, even if I'm not interested in them, I know they will appreciate it. 

I hope this clears anything up.