In order to steer this back from being the 'Brighton Evening Argus - Railway Modelling Supplementary Digest' I would like to point you all to the works of this fine gentleman, Javier, who has been producing CAD of LBSCR prototypes, initially for HO but due to be rescaled, and who is not only upstaging me by a long way with his quality of CAD but is also knocking lots of things off of my list! https://www.shapeways.com/designer/javierl7874/creations

Don't feel disheartened about your own CAD work though sem, at least it's leagues better than mine! :P

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

I was prompted, through the meeting of some of you good people at the Bluebell Yesterday (In particular Mr Mikeandnel!) to actually offer some form of an update and a list as to my current plans for Summer Cadding. As always, requests (especially when backed up by drawings!) are always considered when suggested.

Short term - June to Early/Mid July:

• LBSCR Class A1 0-6-0T
  • LBSCR Class A1x 0-6-0T
  • S&DR 'Troy' Class 0-6-0 (Revised)

Medium/Long term - Mid July to September/October:

• LBSCR Class B1 0-4-2
  • LBSCR Class B2 4-4-0
  • LBSCR Class B3 4-4-0
  • LBSCR Class B4 4-4-0
  • LBSCR Class G 2-2-2
  • LBSCR 'Hove' 2-2-2
  • LBSCR Craven 0-4-2ST
  • LBSCR Craven 0-4-2BT
  • E.B. Wilson 'Jenny Lind' 2-2-2
  • E.B. Wiilson 0-6-0
  • SER Class O 0-6-0
  • LC&DR Kirtley 2-4-0
  • IWR Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T
  • GER 'Petrolea' 2-4-0
  • LNWR 'Precedent' 2-4-0
  • LNWR 'Cornwall' 2-2-2
  • Midland 'Spinner' 4-2-2
  • CR No.123 4-2-2
  • CR Class 294 0-6-0
  • GWR Dean Single (+ Ugly rebuilds?)
  • GWR 'Rover' 4-2-2 (BG)
  • GWR 'Iron Duke' 4-2-2 (BG)
  • HR 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0

Longer term:

Please submit (or re-submit - I can't always remember the suggestions given!) your requests via PM and I will endeavour to keep them all in one place. I may actually set up a new thread for purely that purpose.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 6

I was prompted, through the meeting of some of you good people at the Bluebell Yesterday (In particular Mr Mikeandnel!) to actually offer some form of an update and a list as to my current plans for Summer Cadding. As always, requests (especially when backed up by drawings!) are always considered when suggested.

Short term - June to Early/Mid July:

• LBSCR Class A1 0-6-0T - An interim solution pending the RAILS version will suit me.  Try to get all the dimensions you can, I bet some of them will disagree with the published drawings
  • LBSCR Class A1x 0-6-0T - What I'd really like is the 1911 rebuilds
  • S&DR 'Troy' Class 0-6-0 (Revised)

Medium/Long term - Mid July to September/October:

• LBSCR Class B1 0-4-2
  • LBSCR Class B2 4-4-0   - A 'must', how are we motorising this?
  • LBSCR Class B3 4-4-0
  • LBSCR Class B4 4-4-0   - A 'must', how are we motorising this?
  • LBSCR Class G 2-2-2
  • LBSCR 'Hove' 2-2-2
  • LBSCR Craven 0-4-2ST
  • LBSCR Craven 0-4-2BT
  • E.B. Wilson 'Jenny Lind' 2-2-2
  • E.B. Wiilson 0-6-0
  • SER Class O 0-6-0  - Another 'must'.  When I sell the house, I'll buy an extra J15 and lend it to you for evaluation.  You will not lose it, however. 
  • LC&DR Kirtley 2-4-0
  • IWR Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T - A kit of this is available
  • GER 'Petrolea' 2-4-0 - Frankly, any T19 would work for me.  I suspect the motor in the Hornby Claud will sit too high, but worth checking if you can, because the original Claud is basically a stretched T19 with a bogie. Sale coupled wheel size and wheelbase.
  • LNWR 'Precedent' 2-4-0  - OK, but better, a Waterloo/Whitworth.  Not a top-link loco, so much more useful for most layouts not including a stretch of the WCML.  Only currently available option is mastery of a brass London Road kit.
  • LNWR 'Cornwall' 2-2-2
  • Midland 'Spinner' 4-2-2  - OK, but please provide for the before-Deeley- ruined-it version
  • CR No.123
  • CR Class 
  • GWR Dean Single (+ Ugly rebuilds?) - Yes and yes to ugly rebuilds too
  • GWR 'Rover' 4-2-2 (BG)
  • GWR 'Iron Duke' 4-2-2 (BG)
  • HR 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0

Longer term:

Please submit (or re-submit - I can't always remember the suggestions given!) your requests via PM and I will endeavour to keep them all in one place. I may actually set up a new thread for purely that purpose.

Excellent as usual.

I hope the Fox Walker and the Improved Derwent will precede these, however.

I presume to comment in red above.

• SER Class O 0-6-0
  • LC&DR Kirtley 2-4-0

That's a long ol' list, you must have plenty of free time on your hands! I miss having holidays... Would that be the Kirtley rebuilds of Martley 2-4-0s? I think they may have been called the Europa class, my knowledge on this is a little foggy. I think there's a kit for the Midland Kirtley 2-4-0 so might be worth checking that they're not too similar.

Edited by TurboSnail

• RMweb Gold

I spied the Isle of Wight Railway Beyer Peacock 2-4-0Ts in the list - hurrah! But then noticed Edwardians comment about their already being a kit available - who? And the more important, is there a 7mm one available?! I’ve been after one of these for a couple of years now, and have resigned myself to scratchbuilding one.

Any source of drawings, or a 7mm 3D printed one (hint hint Sem :-D ) would be greatly appreciated :-)

• Like 1

In response to James' points and observations:

• LBSCR Class A1 0-6-0T - An interim solution pending the RAILS version will suit me.  Try to get all the dimensions you can, I bet some of them will disagree with the published drawings

I need to look up some further dimensions, once I've scaled the model back down to full size. I find, with sketchup being the awkward thing that it is, it helps to work on a huge model then scale it down, in order to get the smoothest possible curves. I can have curves of 999 segments as opposed to ones of 50 - 100 segments. To give an idea of what that looks like, 'Derwent's' boiler was made up of 50 segments, I seem to remember!

• LBSCR Class A1x 0-6-0T - What I'd really like is the 1911 rebuilds

Courtesy of your notes, I intend to cover most variants. The A1 will appear first, and the initial A1x will be the original Brighton rebuilds, as those are the only ones that I can foresee having much use for, other than (maybe - in the future) an IWCR Rebuild and an SR IOW extended-bunker.

• LBSCR Class B2 4-4-0   - A 'must', how are we motorising this?
  • LBSCR Class B3 4-4-0
  • LBSCR Class B4 4-4-0   - A 'must', how are we motorising this?

I need to look closer at the drawings I have for these and compare them with RTR and kit chassis. The list is mainly speculative and shows what I intend to produce, but please be aware that it may not all happen, and maybe not all in the given timeframe. I hope I will deliver, but we'll see.

• SER Class O 0-6-0  - Another 'must'.  When I sell the house, I'll buy an extra J15 and lend it to you for evaluation.  You will not lose it, however. 

I may well get myself a J15 for just such a purpose, or to bash into a Y14, so I would imagine there would be little need for you to send one. It would not be lost - 'Derwent' was delayed for awkward reasons (Including a misunderstanding on my part) and the current lost loco needs finding as soon as possible.

• IWR Beyer Peacock 2-4-0T - A kit of this is available

I believe that would be the Golden Arrow Kit?  I had forgotten about that! However, I am aiming to cater for more than just 4mm modellers. Also, at £89 it is expensive for me as I can't afford it most of the time, and when I can afford that sort of price I would then have to buy the usual motor, gearbox, wheels, etc. I also intend to do a few freelance variations of this one.

• GER 'Petrolea' 2-4-0 - Frankly, any T19 would work for me.  I suspect the motor in the Hornby Claud will sit too high, but worth checking if you can, because the original Claud is basically a stretched T19 with a bogie. Sale coupled wheel size and wheelbase.

Thank you for clarifying the class - it's one I have drawings for, and like the look of, but couldn't remember the actual class! Thanks for the heads-up on the chassis, though I expect it's too high. It dates from the era when Hornby appeared to be actively discriminating against pre-grouping modellers by only doing post-grouping versions of pre-grouping locos!

• LNWR 'Precedent' 2-4-0  - OK, but better, a Waterloo/Whitworth.  Not a top-link loco, so much more useful for most layouts not including a stretch of the WCML.  Only currently available option is mastery of a brass London Road kit.

If I can find drawings, fantastic! I freely admit my ignorance of many things North of the Southern constituents, so thank you for highlighting this class. The 'Precedent' was listed due to my having drawings of it and, of course, because there is a preserved example that seems to be popular with many people. Also, I like them!

• Midland 'Spinner' 4-2-2  - OK, but please provide for the before-Deeley- ruined-it version

I may offer both, but (much like doing the CAD for an E1r cab and bunker) this would be more based on popular demand rather than on how much I hate the ruining with a passion!

• GWR Dean Single (+ Ugly rebuilds?) - Yes and yes to ugly rebuilds too

I have the drawings for all, but it falls into the same category as the Deeley 'Spinner' and the E1r as it would be a variant to cover but one I hate!

•  

In response to James' points and observations:

I need to look up some further dimensions, once I've scaled the model back down to full size. I find, with sketchup being the awkward thing that it is, it helps to work on a huge model then scale it down, in order to get the smoothest possible curves. I can have curves of 999 segments as opposed to ones of 50 - 100 segments. To give an idea of what that looks like, 'Derwent's' boiler was made up of 50 segments, I seem to remember!

Courtesy of your notes, I intend to cover most variants. The A1 will appear first, and the initial A1x will be the original Brighton rebuilds, as those are the only ones that I can foresee having much use for, other than (maybe - in the future) an IWCR Rebuild and an SR IOW extended-bunker.

I need to look closer at the drawings I have for these and compare them with RTR and kit chassis. The list is mainly speculative and shows what I intend to produce, but please be aware that it may not all happen, and maybe not all in the given timeframe. I hope I will deliver, but we'll see.

I may well get myself a J15 for just such a purpose, or to bash into a Y14, so I would imagine there would be little need for you to send one. It would not be lost - 'Derwent' was delayed for awkward reasons (Including a misunderstanding on my part) and the current lost loco needs finding as soon as possible.

I believe that would be the Golden Arrow Kit?  I had forgotten about that! However, I am aiming to cater for more than just 4mm modellers. Also, at £89 it is expensive for me as I can't afford it most of the time, and when I can afford that sort of price I would then have to buy the usual motor, gearbox, wheels, etc. I also intend to do a few freelance variations of this one.

Thank you for clarifying the class - it's one I have drawings for, and like the look of, but couldn't remember the actual class! Thanks for the heads-up on the chassis, though I expect it's too high. It dates from the era when Hornby appeared to be actively discriminating against pre-grouping modellers by only doing post-grouping versions of pre-grouping locos!

If I can find drawings, fantastic! I freely admit my ignorance of many things North of the Southern constituents, so thank you for highlighting this class. The 'Precedent' was listed due to my having drawings of it and, of course, because there is a preserved example that seems to be popular with many people. Also, I like them!

I may offer both, but (much like doing the CAD for an E1r cab and bunker) this would be more based on popular demand rather than on how much I hate the ruining with a passion!

I have the drawings for all, but it falls into the same category as the Deeley 'Spinner' and the E1r as it would be a variant to cover but one I hate!

•  

Yes, the IoW Beyer is the Golden Arrow kit.  Nice if someone did those Oldburys discussed elsewhere to go with them!

IIRC, the Waterloo/Whitworth was essentially a smaller-wheeled version of the Precedent.  Not sure how different they were, but I'll look to see if I have any drawings.  Possible one could accidentally wander off the Nene Valley, through Peterborough East and on to Castle Aching!

A T19 could certainly visit CA!

Speaking of cab/bunker replacements, for anyone prepared to take a razor saw to Heljan's £200 Lynton & Barnstaple Manning Wardles (!), a replacement cab to back-date them to the 1898-1912 condition would be worth having!  You'd need to repaint to one of the earlier liveries in any case.

I have this issue too, I don't know if this will help with your CAD system, but on mine, I model in 4mm scale so I can get as close to the material minimum requirements as possible, then when I export the file, I first copy it and scale it up (50x), then export that, and scale it back down on the print website, which gets rid of the segmenting issue. This is mostly because my software is a bit dim, and assumes that you always model in inches, so when I export STL files, they come out 25.4 times smaller than they should!

Sketchup creates circles in segments, and once scaled up they generally retain that number throughout. Unfortunately the default number is 24, so working in small scales is awkward.

Excellent! Take it that'd work on the Hornby/Dapol L&Y Pug chassis?

The loco in the photo appears to be a Class E, so the answer is no. All of the major dimensions are greater on the Pug

MW. Class E: W.B. 4ft. 9in. L.O.B. 15ft. 4in.Wheel Dia. 2ft. 9in.

L&Y Class 21: W.B 6ft. 0in. L.O.B. I don't know exactly but around 20ft. Wheel Dia. 3ft.

Edited by Ruston

The loco in the photo appears to be a Class E, so the answer is no. All of the major dimensions are greater on the Pug

MW. Class E: W.B. 4ft. 9in. L.O.B. 15ft. 4in.Wheel Dia. 2ft. 9in.

L&Y Class 21: W.B 6ft. 0in. L.O.B. I don't know exactly but around 20ft. Wheel Dia. 3ft.

Wow. I knew the Class E was tiny but didn't know it was THAT small!

• 2 weeks later...