Bachmann Class 117

TomE

1st shots of the Class 158 aren't far away either.

Nice. Looking forward to that one too even though the noisy ReggieRail Class 158 is being quoted at a price nearly that of the NRM APT-E...

I must admit I will be hoping for a Regional Railways liveried 117 in the future, I'm sure Bachmann will bring one out. The "last" day of DMUs on the Cross City South saw an immaculate RR Class 117 working alongside a less pristine Tyseley "go slower" Class 115/127/116 lash up and I've always thought the livery really worked on the 117s.

• Like 1

Cost wise this is actually about average now for a model of this type, Hornby are wanting £267.99 for the IEP 2 car and Realtrack are £220 for a 2 car 156 and Dapol are £144 for a single 121. I know we can't compare models directly until we see the finished model but prices are in line with current models from most companies.

I have one on order and so far the signs are good for another great first gen DMU just hope in future we get a Fife circle Set in Regional Railways.

• RMweb Gold

Did you happen to notice how obtrusive, or otherwise, the mechanism was?  I prefer the passenger saloon of my dmus not to be full of mechanism.  Bachmann have a history of a cast lump encroaching on the seating area and the Dapol GWR railcar could do without the unexploded bomb in the middle of the saloon.

Yes, I know I was at Ally Pally yesterday but it never occurred to me that there would be anything interesting on the Bachmann stand.  First time for everything, I guess ... :jester:

Chris 

I believe it was probably in the inner sanctum part of the Bachmann stand along with the breakdown cranes etc.

Incidentally all the announced version have marker lights so I wonder if this is either incomplete or if there will also be an as yet unannounced early version in unlined livery and without marker lights? 

I believe it was probably in the inner sanctum part of the Bachmann stand along with the breakdown cranes etc.

Incidentally all the announced version have marker lights so I wonder if this is either incomplete or if there will also be an as yet unannounced early version in unlined livery and without marker lights? 

According to http://news.Bachmann..._class_117_dmu/ , 35-500 does not have marker lights.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi,

The Bachmann press release mentions motors in the driving cars (which I think has been mentioned before).

So it could be two N gauge sized coreless motors each driving the rear bogie of the driving cars.

So could have dummy driveshafts on front bogie.

Looking at a MK1 coach there's only about 10mm between the bottom of the solebars and the bottom of the windows.

I think the Dapol OO Cl122/121 was a good attempt at a low profile mechanism but seeming to use a standard height motor.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Correct Mark.  No marker lights as built "Johnster".

I would also prefer the class 116, but I am not sure whether it was decided that the Derby versions would appear.

Mind you I wouldn't be surprised if Dapol pulled the 116 out of the hat based on their 122.

Let's hope.

• RMweb Gold

I had forgotten that these later sets to the 'Derby' pattern, with their backlit headcode panels, did not originally have marker lights.  I cannot recall if they carried the red glass discs in a wooden box on the desk wall in the driver's cabs that were intended to be used as shades on marker lights, the housings of which had grooved sections in the bottom half to fit them.  These were a feature of the early dmus, including 116, that were not used as oil tail lamps on brackets were still considered necessary to indicate a complete train to signalmen.  

The 117 tooling does look very nice. Like a couple of others have mentioned a reggie livery set as they appeared in Scotland would be nice as I saw these when I first came up here in 99/2000.

Cheers

Mark

It does look good, and hopefully plain BR blue will be another livery option before too long !

Edited by caradoc

It was in the members area, and although I can't remember all the details the label made it clear it was an early green version, so no light would be correct.

• RMweb Gold

The 2018 RRP is £299.95

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/availability/

So, who knows by the time it comes out.  £350 - £400 probably.

Is a lovely looking unit, and I'm another one hoping it shrinks down N.  But not holding my breath for that happening any time soon.

May be tempted to get one on NSE - just 'cos it's so nice.  Still tempted to get a Dapol 121 in NSE - but SWMBO will no doubt kill me if I buy out of gauge!

Paul

Just hold it far enough away from her. 

In similar vein 

- different cab ends will give you a 3 car class 118 (because otherwise bodies/layouts/underframes identical)

- different cab ends + revised body(ies) to trailer car(s) will give you a 3/4 car class 116 (because otherwise identical)

- merging a revised 116 or 117 cab body to trailer underframe will give you a class 149 or 150 Driving Trailer Second (to go with 121/122 singles).

If so then plenty of scope for some 'special editions'.

Edited by Pteremy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Plus you've got your Lima models now , given that the 90 is now March 2019 , what are we looking at here? Another year 2020 maybe?

Given the price a 117 is not for me , but if a 116 subsequently appears in Trans-Clyde Blue or Blue Grey i'd have to have one .

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

According to http://news.Bachmann..._class_117_dmu/ , 35-500 does not have marker lights.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Yes - they appear to have been in two minds about it as the catalogue illustration for 35-500 shows a lined green set whereas the Bachmann news item linked above says 'as delivered' which could well mean unlined green.  No doubt all will become clear in time, probably.

That EP shot looks fantastic, it'll be good to see the livery samples. Like others I'd have preferred to see the considerably more numerous 116, but a high density DMU is more than welcome. A 2 car 116 shouldn't be too difficult to bash from the 117, but the trailers would take some chopping around work, and at that price its not something I'd consider! I'd be surprised if Bachmann haven't at least thought about the differences, a slide for the cab roof and if they later tooled up a TC...wishful thinking, but you never know.

My only bone of contention is the 'conductive coupling', fine for DCC I suppose, but that'll be a sod for those of us who want to model the hybrid sets that these units wound up as in their later days; or model the preservation scenes use of trailers for loco hauled stock. Its a shame the TCL isn't to be released on its own for this purpose, there is a plethora of liveries out there.

• RMweb Premium

Kernow Models have said about producing a 116 and 118, but the only "information" about it is the last sentence on this page:

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/143/WR-Suburban-DMU

I definitely remember seeing something about a 118 in the Telecom livery somewhere, which would be my preference.

If you read down you'll see that there is an update where it says Bachmann will produce a Class 117. I think it was Kernows original intention to do 116/117/118 but when Bachmann announced they were doing 117, Kernow handed over project to them. I've never seen anywhere that Bachmann were doing a 116 or 118.

True - but when standing back for Bachmann Kernow said something to the effect that they had not forgotten the 116 or 118.

But whatever, there was a degree of standardisation in the 116/117/118 (and related units) which presents a possible cash cow opportunity, along the lines of the Bachmann Mk1. For someone to exploit.