Playing music at exhibitions - is it a good idea?

I have considered modelling a music festival with lights and music in a corner of a layout, but the thought of painting 10000 figures put me off.

Shouldn't be too difficult to dip a large batch in a tub of 'mud' colour for that authentic festival look. LOL

Best regards,

Paul

It is bad enough having to put up with it in shopping centres.

Please leave model railway exhibitions as a haven of peace.

I cringe at the thought of Pete Waterman showing his work accompanied by Kylie. 

Bernard 

I agree with Beast 66606, if it was Kylie in the flesh so to speak I would be quite happy, but recorded music ? No, no and thrice no, thanks.

We all have different tastes and whatever was played would displease a large proportion of the attendance.

I was at a show where one exhibitor had the theme for Corrie Street on a loop. That murder was not done after the first hour was a credit to the tolerance of the remainder of the exhibitors (or to their ear plugs).

Cheers,

David

I agree with Beast 66606, if it was Kylie in the flesh so to speak I would be quite happy, but recorded music ? No, no and thrice no, thanks.

We all have different tastes and whatever was played would displease a large proportion of the attendance.

Definitely against! No music no pop/film stars. Well maybe the theme from Thomas The Tank cos he's my favourite.

Actually thinking about it maybe I'd allow the theme from The Railway Children as long as Jenni Agutter was in attendance, cos she's my favourite too.

Edited by Iain Popplewell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I recall setting up Hanging Hill and Paul W put on some Goth music while we were working. We couldn't put up the layout for one Cloggydog and Mrs Dagworth dancing where the layout was supposed to go. And I couldn't complain to the exhibition manager, because it was him who turned my spot in the hall to a disco.

Seriously music is great if it is of a style you like but very annoying if not something you like.  So I will keep my music at home not not share it.......well only one tune...a nice one to sing along to....

Regarding your first point... I couldn't possibly comment... :onthequiet:

As to the last bit, that was a damn fine night at the Forum, although Mr and Mrs Dagworth may well agree with me that the rendition of Vagabonds last Saturday evening in Hackney might well never be bettered, what with 1000 voices doing the violin bit :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Our layout is set in Marshland with a river and reed beds. We I have access to a sound program which has allowed us to record background sound tracks from a similar location.

"Squelch squelch squelch, aargh, me welly's stuck!"?

• RMweb Premium

Just think of the music on the beach scenario, what one person likes, someone else finds detestable. But you can't get away from it, without leaving the beach.

Shows how long it was that I was on a beach as there didn't used to be any music.

It was bad enough wheeling the bathing machines down to the water's edge :jester:

Keith

I can vaguely remember a layout that used to do rounds in Scottish circuit that had a bandstand so they did piped band music .....extremely annoying ! I really don't see why people need to put music to everything.

Hi Legend, the layout you remember was "Monksbarn"  from Renfrewshire MRC.  The music normally did not cause too much offence until one Sunday at Greenock show we were playing German military marches and someone remembered that this wasn't just any Sunday, it was Remembrance Sunday. It was a lot quieter after that.

Jim

• Like 1

There used to be a very good US layout, set in a small nowheresville Midwest town in the 50s, which played contemporary ‘juke box’ music from a cafe/soda-joint. It was very effective as a scene-setter, and wasn’t intrusive, being audible only up to about six feet from the ‘venue’. I liked it. But, I can quite understand the worries being expressed.

Now a true story that nobody here, or indeed anywhere else, will believe: I was out walking our dogs near the river in mid winter, and fell into conversation with a woman walking her small decorative sort of dog. Not one of the regulars, who one gets to recognise. She said she’d pulled off the motorway to give the dog a run, and randomly parked nearby (river is about two miles from motorway junction). She was wearing very obviously upmarket clothing, white anorak with fur trim, sunglasses, white scarf etc, and seemed vaguely familiar. Routine conversation about dogs, how cold the weather was etc, but I couldn’t resist politely asking. Yes, indeed it was.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Bernard 

Given the regular and tiresome interruptions by the exhibition management team making usually loud but incomprehensible announcements over poor-quality PA, Pete Waterman's Greatest Hits might be seen as a real improvement, especially if Kylie can be persuaded to make a personal appearance.

And Pete himself doesn't just bring high quality 7mm models to exhibitions. I remember one Midlands exhibition (I'll save their blushes by not naming it) where Pete had been coerced into performing some kind of opening ceremony coupled with a book signing. Various people tried to talk into a microphone that must have been set up by someone who was rejected by the club layout wiring team, resulting in the worst feedback you ever heard. Pete took charge and reconfigured the audio system. Suddenly everyone could hear the ceremony clearly and at an acceptable volume. You could certainly see he hadn't forgotten how to set up a recording studio.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The real problem with that is that is the pavlov reaction, and when you catch up with the van a 4mm scale '99' really isn't that filling. 

I always told my kids that when the ice cream van played a tune it meant he had sold out....

Phil

• Like 2

Not sure about musical accompaniments....  Many years ago, I exhibited next to a Swiss layout, with a backing track of alpenhorns and cuckoo clocks.  They were lucky to survive....  :nono:

I think that may have been the layout we were once next to at Warley and it wasn't that many years ago. We still remember it and shudder. Definitely an alpenhorn and I think cowbells but I'm not sure about the cuckoo clocks so there may be more than one layout so equipped - THE HORROR !! 

• Like 1

The man who I share an office with used to DJ and do sound/lighting in rather large clubs. He delights to tell the story of the time he and Kylie had a kiss. His partner is reportedly not quite so amused at its retelling.

On a more serious note, I'd definitely be against music being played, but should you feel nobody could possibly appreciate your artwork without aural accompaniment then a few pairs of headphones to hand out to spectators and music playing on your phone might be the answer. You might need a Bluetooth splitter or similar.

• RMweb Gold

Bernard 

I could cope with Kylie if she did turn up at a show...

No!  Why is it that wherever one goes, one has to put up with music?  Its not usually soft, pleasant background music but loud modern music at a very high decibel!  Train shows should be interesting enough without the need for musical accompaniment ! :protest:

Brian.