Barclay v Peckett?

Hi all,

I've got a Peckett on pre-order but am considering cancelling it and ordering a Barclay instead. Ideally, I'd love to own both but funds - and the fact that the micro layout I'm planning doesn't need both - dictate it's one or t'other.

Therefore, to the people who do have both (and I'm aware it's very much a case of personal opinion) but which, if you could only keep one, would you keep and why?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I would agree with Bigherb. If you are looking for an engine that can withstand close scrutiny and haul a decent load for its size the Peckett is the one. All that said, the Barclay has potential for after market upgrades and does have some excellent points but on the whole, advantage Peckett. Both engines are greatly improved by the removal of the hook and bar couplings and replacement with something less obtrusive, even just replacing the current coupling with the bar less the hook from an NEM wagon coupling is better than nothing.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

As others have said, the Peckett is lovely. I have Dodo and it's a keeper. Thought about a Barclay but the Peckett is by far the better model.

Rob

I got a Barclay because I need it to haul my Aberdeen Gas Works wagons. It would be nice to get a Scottish colliery one, and a faux Caley simply for lack of an alternative.

But as a model, I far prefer the Peckett and if you're open-minded as to the purpose, ie; you're not recreating a Barclay-hauled line, I would recommend the Peckett every time

I'd have a Peckett over a Barclay every time, Barlcays are indifferent steamers, very rough round the edges and only have one option to notch up where as Pecketts have more refinement, steam better and always seem prettier (except the big OQ Peckett!).... Oh wait, you're talking about the models.... it's still the same answer!

• Like 4

Hi all,

I've got a Peckett on pre-order but am considering cancelling it and ordering a Barclay instead. Ideally, I'd love to own both but funds - and the fact that the micro layout I'm planning doesn't need both - dictate it's one or t'other.

Therefore, to the people who do have both (and I'm aware it's very much a case of personal opinion) but which, if you could only keep one, would you keep and why?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

To me it would all depend on the layout, where it's supposed to be located, what the industry is and what time period is being modelled.

The Pecketts go back at least as far as 1889 but the Barclays were not around until 1921, so if you're modelling before 1921 the Barclay is obviously out. At the other end of the scale, if you're modelling the end of steam in 1970/80s, then the Barclay is more likely to have still been around and in use as they were built up until the 1950s.

In terms of quality of the models and the running then it has to be the Peckett. They should both be able to haul the same as the model weights are identical despite the Barclay being larger.