Peterborough North

great northern

Even the locos valve gear is almost in the same position; excellent work Gilbert! The one thing that jars with me are those loco headlamps. I wonder if anyone makes them in 3mm scale as that smaller size might look better.

Removing the lamp handles would help. Nice picture Merry Xmas.

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Western Sunset about the headlamps, but that is in no way a reflection on you, Gilbert, it's a common problem.

I reckon your ballasting is better -  the bloke who did it in the top picture left loads of gaps! :)

Is that the end of a trap point in front of the loco, or is it just a spare bit of rail?

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Western Sunset about the headlamps, but that is in no way a reflection on you, Gilbert, it's a common problem.

I reckon your ballasting is better -  the bloke who did it in the top picture left loads of gaps! :)

Is that the end of a trap point in front of the loco, or is it just a spare bit of rail?

The lamps are a problem, but I don't help myself. I keep meaning to weather them so that they aren't so glaringly white, but I never get round to it, and I could standardise on the LNER lamps which aren't so over scale. I've got a lot of the BR ones though, and it gets very expensive when you consider the number of locos I have somehow acquired. I don't like swopping them over between locos either, as all too often they ping off onto the floor, often never to be seen again. It is indeed the end of a trap point in front of the loco, and there is one on the layout, but just out of shot on my effort.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lamp weathering in two seconds:

having prepped a little white spirit and paint mix (test on similar surface for 'finish'):

take one rough paint brush, dip in mix and then slosh on lamp; simples as they say in Russia.

Makes a world of difference; don't even have to remove from loco.

Can be done between sips of Brandy and munches of mince pie. :mosking:

P

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sorting through my gallery photos I thought of you.A fabulous layout and as it's Christmas I send you this.From a GWR modeller who appreciates quality modelling and a nice looking engine.Happy Christmas.

post-126-0-85869400-1387811608_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Hello Gilbert,

As a GCR fan, the N5 has to be on my "favourites" list, even with all those big engines around I am still drawn to it.

I have done a number of N5s from whitemetal kits and also one from the etches produced through Judith Edge kits but I am struggling to identiify the origin of your loco. That is always a good sign because it means it looks like an N5 but I would love to know which kit it is or if it is scratchbuilt.

Best wishes

Tony 

• RMweb Premium

Does he mean us?  Number 1 of the N5 fan club here!  I agree Gilbert, that is exactly the 'persona' of the loco, ekeing out the last few months of a boiler certificate trundling up and down on pilot duties - nothing too far from home!

There is a track on one of the Peter Handford LP's ('Great Central', funnily enough) of an N5 somewhere slowly moving through a station, it sounds like a weaving shed it is so worn - I hear the sounds in my head every time I see your N5.  Magic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorting through my gallery photos I thought of you.A fabulous layout and as it's Christmas I send you this.From a GWR modeller who appreciates quality modelling and a nice looking engine.Happy Christmas.

attachicon.gifSNG.jpg

Lovely photo, and a very kind and generous thought. Thanks indeed Robin.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Gilbert,

As a GCR fan, the N5 has to be on my "favourites" list, even with all those big engines around I am still drawn to it.

I have done a number of N5s from whitemetal kits and also one from the etches produced through Judith Edge kits but I am struggling to identiify the origin of your loco. That is always a good sign because it means it looks like an N5 but I would love to know which kit it is or if it is scratchbuilt.

Best wishes

Tony 

Hello Tony,

The N5 was built by John Houlden from the SE Finecast kit, and I agree that it certainly looks the part.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Tony,

The N5 was built by John Houlden from the SE Finecast kit, and I agree that it certainly looks the part.

Thanks Gilbert.

Presumably with either their (SE Finecast) or home made rivet overlays as the cast kit is for the flush sided variety.

Very nice.

Tony

I agree about the over-sized loco lamps and how much better they look after a wash-over with dirty thinners. Why the BR-style lamps should be so much over-scale than the LNER-style ones I don't know, but they do catch the eye too much. Taking off the handles of the BR ones would be a good idea. All that said, if you get the opportunity to look at the latest British Railways Illustrated (sorry for the plug), there's a picture of a 'Hall' on page 159 leaving Chester on an express, with one of the lamps either new or freshly-painted. Though both the same size, the white one looks 'huge' in comparison, much nearer the apparent size of some of Gilbert's lamps. But, and I think this will do the trick, the handle is almost invisible. Similarly, on page 160 a BR Standard Four displays a light-engine BR lamp and that too looks big, but the handle is nowhere near as prominent. Other pictures illustrating my piece show locos carrying no lamps, grubby lamps or ex-LMS ones, which were black. So, I'm not so sure if all the lamps displayed on Peterborough North are too big, especially the non-BR ones - just wash them over with dirty thinners. 

At least the locos display lamps, which is better than none at all. 

Though this is a Peterborough North thread, I hope GN won't mind my posting model scenes just a few miles north. I've included these to show how weathering Smith's lamps can make a huge improvement in their appearance. Even the over-scale BR lamps on 60125 look better (incidentally, I can find precious few pictures of ER locos carrying BR lamps), but they are still way too big. Taking off the handles should help, however.

The last picture is just a sign of the times for all on RMWeb.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on PN in the New Year.

attachicon.gif60114.jpg

attachicon.gif60125.jpg

attachicon.gif60130.jpg

attachicon.gif60136 best wishes.jpg

For anyone interested, I have loco lamps from the 3mm Society.   I did take a couple of pics showing the front end of an A4 with one 4mm lamp and one 3mm lamp for comparison

If the pic is wanted, please let me know.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Stuart May, Germany

• RMweb Premium

Another modelling year draws to a close, and both the layout and this thread have seen many additions. The layout delights me more and more as it progresses, and that enjoyment is made even greater by the many and varied contributions on here. Thanks to all for your help, your support, and some very humorous asides. May I wish you all a Happy Christmas and a peaceful and prosperous New Year, and that your personal modelling projects may give you as much enjoyment and satisfaction as mine has given me.

I've been feeling a bit guilty though for not including the more modern minded in yesterday's photo shoot, so to redress the balance here is a Derby Lightweight DMU reversing out of Platform 2 having arrived with an all stations stopper from Doncaster.

post-98-0-55501200-1387894610_thumb.jpg

And here is a little observation test for you. The photo also features one of the most frequent contributors to this thread. Can you spot him? There's a clue in the route the DMU took to get here.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Thank YOU Gilbert  - for entertaining us and sharing your life's dream layout with us all.  We could never all come around chez Gilbert to have a look, but seeing it on here is fantastic, an inspiration.

Have a happy Christmas (or non-denominational holiday period in my case! :jester: ) and a healthy and prosperous New Year.

And you have an N5!

• Like 1