Peterborough North

great northern

Gilbert,

Might I suggest the best place to take that "Pesky Duck"might be to the start of Wide Westgate and the bottom of Welby Street, on a Topic located near to Peterborough (29 miles is near). Then he can Hop's  & Sing to his hearts content whilst the pancakes are being cooked. :imsohappy:

I then took a couple of shots from the other end. The first one was the best, or would have been if I had placed the camera so that the bit of wood on which it rested wasn't in shot. As I don't know how to edit that out, that one has been binned, and we are left with this. I've no idea what happened to the signal post in the foreground.

Could you not have just cropped the image so that the piece of wood was eliminated?

Edited by westerner

That last is a classic. A3's somehow look better going away from the camera.

you mean like this?

post-7929-0-05999500-1388872668_thumb.jpg

I do hope this doesn't cause offence, as trains never went through Peterborough North at this sort of clip...

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

That's a very good question Alan. Yesterday, for some reason, I thought I couldn't. or not without ruining the whole composition. This morning I look at it again, and realise that yesterday  I could only see a vertical crop, while now I see a perfectly easy horizontal one. I can only think that prolonged shopping of lattice posts must have addled my brain even more than usual. So, here it is.

attachicon.giflast a3.jpg

Is that a tail lamp I see on the leading coach?

That's a very good question Alan. Yesterday, for some reason, I thought I couldn't. or not without ruining the whole composition. This morning I look at it again, and realise that yesterday  I could only see a vertical crop, while now I see a perfectly easy horizontal one. I can only think that prolonged shopping of lattice posts must have addled my brain even more than usual. So, here it is.

attachicon.giflast a3.jpg

Hi Gilbert

Happy New Year to you, I know you use the Canon G12 for taking your layout photos.

I have just purchased the Canon G1X from my local Canon dealer as the G12 is now longer available, may I ask what settings you used to take your last photo of the two A3's and how close do you focus in on the subjects as your photos are very good.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Is that a tail lamp I see on the leading coach?

It is Richard. One of the drawbacks of running trains in both directions I'm afraid. I find that the end boards need to be secured, otherwise now and again one will fall out and lie in wait to cause a derailment. The result is that some trains have lamps at each end. Wrong I know, but better I think than having none at all.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Happy New Year to you, I know you use the Canon G12 for taking your layout photos.

I have just purchased the Canon G1X from my local Canon dealer as the G12 is now longer available, may I ask what settings you used to take your last photo of the two A3's and how close do you focus in on the subjects as your photos are very good.

Regards

David

I nearly always use the manual setting on the G12 David, and generally f8, as that seems to give a good depth of focus. This one was only one third of a second exposure, as there was  a low sun shining directly on the layout, but the light in my room varies greatly, often from minute to minute, so I preview each shot and then manually adjust. Camera is set on ISO 80. No zoom on this shot, or indeed on most that I take lately, as I find it very hard to get a satisfactory result when I use it.

Grief, that was a long way back.......well spotted.

P

Gilbert, did you ever find out what the indicator was for at the north end of the up platform?

I remember the question being asked but didn't fancy trawling through 200 odd pages to find out where we are with it. I now have the answer but it has come as a result of debate regarding down road signals at Crescent Junction elsewhere on the net. I'm just waiting to see how the provider of the information wants to play it so to speak. He could answer a question elsewhere that'll find it's way here in due course. Netiquette i guess?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember the question being asked but didn't fancy trawling through 200 odd pages to find out where we are with it. I now have the answer but it has come as a result of debate regarding down road signals at Crescent Junction elsewhere on the net. I'm just waiting to see how the provider of the information wants to play it so to speak. He could answer a question elsewhere that'll find it's way here in due course. Netiquette i guess?

It is still a mystery so far as I'm concerned Richard, so if you can find a way to enlighten me I shall be very grateful. Speaking of Crescent Junction, now I have that box on the layout, do you happen to have the same information as to which signal did what for that box as you kindly provided for the others way back on about Page 12 (I think)?

Here is one of the box diagrams i have. The banner repeater on the down fast has caused considerable debate elsewhere but i'm sure is off scene for you. Some other thing's are about to come to light also. This may affect you if the lever frame has been modelled faithfully in the box. More of anon.

post-4034-0-39742400-1389025908_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Once more I put off doing some modelling. Perhaps its the sight of the scalpel that does it? :swoon:  Result, another running session instead, and a few more photos.

post-98-0-71216200-1389198707_thumb.jpg

In the gathering gloom, too much for 1950's colour film to cope with, :rolleyes: L1 67776 arrives with the 2.45pm slow from Hitchin. while Sandwich awaits the off in Platform 2.

post-98-0-04358200-1389199107_thumb.jpg

Funny, there seems to be a bit more light here, but who put that running in board in the way?

post-98-0-81263400-1389199147_thumb.jpg

By the time the L1 has drawn to a halt it is gloomier still.

post-98-0-97480100-1389199225_thumb.jpg

And as Champion Lodge brings the stock of the 4.42pm to Harwich into Platform 2, it has become positively stygian.

Well, that's what it was like outside, so the camera was operating right on, or arguably beyond it's limits. These don't bear close examination, so I recommend that you don't enlarge them. Of course you will now, won't you?

• Like 13

As you said don't enlarge the photos, just like a naughty boy of course I had to. They have the quality of some of those old B&W and colour pix that some of the prototype mags use when doing a specific item and are slightly pressed for photos.

I must admit I like them.

Here is one of the box diagrams i have. The banner repeater on the down fast has caused considerable debate elsewhere but i'm sure is off scene for you. Some other thing's are about to come to light also. This may affect you if the lever frame has been modelled faithfully in the box. More of anon.

attachicon.gifCrescent Junction.jpg

Gilbert, do you have a photo of the inside of your Crescent Junction Box?

Hi LNERGE,

The Crescent box interior is suggested detail in as much as I used the Springside interior detailing kit to fit out the box to give the illusion of interior detail.

for the most part the interior would nor be seen altho I have put a light inside, If I were to fit an interior exact to the Crescent box for period ( assuming we had all the photos & info ) it would take many months to produce and as far as costing, it would get silly.

I doub't the Springside levers are GNR so would have to have masters made and have them made to the type used in Crescent box and then the block instruments :-) say no more.

Crescent box is as near a likeness to the original, at least from the outside and the rest is suggestive, 'However' it is always possible to add or take away certain details as info turns up, if deemed necessary.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Gravy Train