GW Models wheel press and quartering jig

Super piece of kit, fully recommended.

Jol

Some questions about this piece of kit :-

Is this device suitable for Gibson wheels?

Who supplies this and at what price?

Many thanks

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I used the jig on a High Level Kits Pug chassis to quarter the Gibson wheels, which it did admirably despite the doubts of both the Gibson and GW representatives who weren't sure if it could handle such small wheels... :)

Thanks for the replies.

G.W. Models.

19.50 + 1 pound p+p.

Going to order on right now...

One more question (or two) :-

Do you have a web site address for G W Models (I couldn't find it) and/or

A postal address for them.

Many thanks and cheers

Mike

Do you have a web site address for G W Models (I couldn't find it) and/or

A postal address for them.

As given in my blog and asked for so many times -

BTW: G W Models is not on the web (the guy who runs it is a bit of a character, and can be found at most of the good expos, particularly in the south) contact details are: 11 Crosham Close, Lancing, BN15 9LE (01903) 767231

No connection just a happy customer

though not wishing to criticise the press or quartering jig

I have a press from a different supplier and can manage perfectly well without a quartering jig - it is amazing just how true it can be done by eye.

As given in my blog and asked for so many times -

No connection just a happy customer

though not wishing to criticise the press or quartering jig

I have a press from a different supplier and can manage perfectly well without a quartering jig - it is amazing just how true it can be done by eye.

I am obliged to you, many thanks. Sorry to repeat the request for a much requested piece of information but I'm afraid I don't read your blog, or any blogs, much prefer the threads.

Cheers

Mike

As everyone else has said, just buy it, an indispensable piece of kit, especially for getting wheels on without wobble. Ive never had a problem with Gibson drivers on it, if you cut down the crankpin length to fit in the slots

More than half my "fally offy" problems on locos have been down to wheels not going on perpendicular to the axle. The wheel press goes a long way to solving this. The other things to do is very slightly ream (really not much at all) the hole in the wheel boss from the rear and chamfer the first 1/2mm or so of the axle before offering it up. If you do not do this, the axle tends to form its own route into the soft plastic a bit.

Chris Pendleton touches on this topic in this edition of MRJ and Allan Goodwillie also does in his excellant thread on loco building on S4web - http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=666

More than half my "fally offy" problems on locos have been down to wheels not going on perpendicular to the axle. The wheel press goes a long way to solving this. The other things to do is very slightly ream (really not much at all) the hole in the wheel boss from the rear and chamfer the first 1/2mm or so of the axle before offering it up. If you do not do this, the axle tends to form its own route into the soft plastic a bit.

Chris Pendleton touches on this topic in this edition of MRJ and Allan Goodwillie also does in his excellant thread on loco building on S4web - http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=666

A very useful tip for assembling Gibson wheels on their axles. I've ordered one of these things too; I phoned the proprieter of G. W. Models just to check on payment methods, he must be wondering why this sudden 'glut' of orders for his wheel press/quartering tool!

Cheers

Mike

It's very easy to use. Each jaw has a reversible sprung loaded pin for either 2mm or 1/8" and 3mm axles. Next to the pin is a slot to take the crankpin and these are preset at 90 degrees. Take one driving wheel and insert the axle just far enough to hold it in place. Chamfering the end of the axle will help insertion. Place the wheel onto the jig and align the crankpin in the adjacent slot. Add the other wheel to the other jaw and align the axle end. One they are all in place, just gently squeeze the two jaws together in your hand. I use a B2B gauge at the same time to prevent squeezing too hard and taking the B2B below your ideal figure.

I've drilled the other holes to take Bachmann wheels which have a boss around the crankpin.

Here's a few more pics.

post-6950-128040685697_thumb.jpg

post-6950-128040686091_thumb.jpg

post-6950-12804068648_thumb.jpg

post-6950-128040685229_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

HI

This looks like a nice bit of kit,one thing can you do this with the wheels in the chasse ?

Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question to ask ,as i am starting out on my fist kit,a high level model 0-4-0 saddle tank.

All the best

Darren

HI

This looks like a nice bit of kit,one thing can you do this with the wheels in the chasse ?

Darren

Not a dumb question at all - yes you can, so long has you havent put the brake hangers on (or any other bits that stick out beyond the wheels on the chassis) - as I did once Dohhh!!!!

Archived