Representing Cornish stonework in 4mm scale

the type of pointing which is slightly proud of the wall surface (known as ribbon pointing, and liable to cause stonework deterioration and damp, but thats for the surveyors forum rather than here!), is ideally suited for modelling with homemade moulds.

If you scribe (yes I know its a lot of work, but worth it in the end) the mortar lines into thick plasticard and add a bit of light distressing to the stones then you can use that piece of plasticard to 'print' the stonework texture onto a modelling clay such as das, you could even then coat the embossed wall in some sort of silicone rubber to make a mould for casting further walls in runny clay.

A small selection of these random stonework and pointing moulds can be used together to produce larger structures without the pattern being obviously repeated. that just leaves the cills and quoins to be added by hand.

hope this helps.

Jon

Just wanted to mention. If you decide to use the Das Foam board method, Prime Both sides of the foam board with PVA and allow to dry, this helps to prevent warping. On the area that you wish to coat with the DAS, Wet the PVA with a damp cloth, this I assume reactivates the glue as the DAS sticks with out problems.

If you're still thinking of that Chris using one of John Wiffen's sheets could be a good starting point - http://www.scalescenes.com/products/TX48-Squared-Rubble which may save taking the snaps, the tone of the stone's fairly close to South Cornwall buildings.

I was thinking about starting a thread about flint, but thought I'd read this thread first in case it had any ideas that I could adapt. Glad I did as new in Scalescenes Scratchbuilder's Yard is flint! :)

I have used DAS on plasticard and foamboard, no problem with either but I always give it a coat of PVA first. To scribe it I use dental probes available from the likes of Squires etc. this was handy when scribing a retaining wall in situ. as the different angle points on the probes allowd access where others wouldn't

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone for continued replies. I'm going to be away with work for a week and so i think I'm going to pack some plasticard, foamboard and DAS in my bag. I see a spot of experimentation coming on. A spot of modelling will be a better option than watching crud TV in a hotel room... (Must pack some beer too)

• RMweb Premium

I know Cornwall and Scotland are a few miles apart, but this recent thread seemed to offer a good level of finish on commercial stone walling.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/620-northern-maidens-workbench/page__pid__4331__st__0entry4331

Ah yes, the Wills random stone sheets - very, very familiar with them.... possibly the most dificult of the Will series to cut, not so much modelling as DIY!

post-6675-12555534125518_thumb.jpgpost-6675-12555535283471_thumb.jpg

Don't know if this is of any help, but I have 2 plastic sheets, 12" x 8" of random stone from source unknown - been in 'The Box' some time, but they are not brittle.

The red is to show the mortar courses.

2ManySpams - PM me if you want the sheets.

Penlan

post-6979-12555632359837_thumb.jpg

...Thats the Slaters Crazy Paving I mentioned up there *points up the thread*...It looks just like Cornish random ston walls.....

My apologies Mickey, I don't tend to keep records of where things come from, so missed it was Slaters. The photos of the Pub at Par seem to have a similar stone, but I've found west Cornwall stonework can be very varied, here's an example or two from within 20yds of my front door.

There is a mortar joint of the raised above the stonework type across the road from me, but I could not get a decent photo to show it's shape, but I don't think that's applicable to the Pub at Par anyway.

Sometimes the raised mortar is shaped to give the impression of squared stonework, I wonder if it's an attempt to make the stonework look posher than it is, the squared stones in the left hand photo would be expensive to cut etc, compared with making the mortar raised and seemingly around square shapes. I will have a look round the village dreckly to see what's about......

Penlan

post-6979-12555644266765_thumb.jpg

post-6979-12555644281551_thumb.jpg

post-6979-12555644295128_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

Have used crazy paving many times to represent stonework and if i may add tis 'old hat' to Architectural modellers but you can get good results with a cunning paint finish and nobody is none the wiser.

Unfortunatley i have no photos of the models except this church, its not cornish stone but utilises the Slaters crazy paving but will give you an idea.

church 4mm scale.

Pictures not very clear but you get the jist....

pleylandmodels1202-2-1.jpg

pleylandmodels649-2-1.jpg

cheers.

One of the problems with "Cornish Stone" is that the blocks, as well as been extremely random in size and shape; is that the pointing, particularly in the Windswept West is often proud of the stone....

Think I would have picked one of the other 3 pubs in Par that are of a rendered finish ;)

The most convincing stone work I have seen is/was on Roseladden Wharf ( Falmouth MRC member...) & IIRC that was scribed Pasteboard coloured with artists watercolours....

Alternativley I have seen Slaters "Crazy paving" sheets used to some good effect...

Proud pointing for slaters sheets ; spread out some Daz with a talc' dusted rolling pin[bottle, what have you]on to a flat surface,[more talc'] press in a talc' dusted sheet of Slaters embossed plastic...

I have to admit to not having done this myself, but seen it being done for a Layout back in the early 80's.

best of luck....

• RMweb Premium

sorry dint meant it to sound grrrr! :)

I was pleased someone had some 'cos I cant find any to show!

West Cornwall stone work seems to be a lot bigger and more random shaped than that used in the middle....and a stucco/rendered front is more common further East..at least on the bits of the building visible to "passer's by"...

Station road in Blazey is a good example of Rendered fronts/bare stone backs..Think I noted above,that for the Par Inn is quite rare for not been rendered at all....

Having seen the other pubs in the area last week i'm starting to think that rendered could be quite a good option..... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

10th Nov 2pm - now scribed 1 end wall and the ground floor of the frontage - that's half way through.....

Pleased with the results but scribbing takes it out on the fingers!

The main wall stone patern is a close representation of the real pub's stone work and the the end is a bit more random - representing the smaller blocks used on the side and rear.

Below is the end wall (a mixture of the real elevations). It's had a green highligher run over it to try and make the courses easier to see.

post-6675-12578661148094_thumb.jpg

post-6675-12578661129039_thumb.jpg

Below is the half scribbed front elevation. Bigger, presumably more expensive, blocks appear to have been used.

post-6675-12578661162006_thumb.jpg

post-6675-12578661174602_thumb.jpg

post-6675-12578661188278_thumb.jpg

post-6675-12578661202662_thumb.jpg

post-6675-12578661218815_thumb.jpg

The building styles of Cornwall depend very much on the proportion of local granite in the bedrock. In the far west it's almost entirely granite, in areas like Porthleven (the Old Customs House) you'll see the front of granite (the posh bit) and the sides of killas (often sorts of mudstone - i.e. not granite). In the East the killas was softer and more shaley (locally called shillot) and needs render to make it attractive and weatherproof.

Often the stone of whatever sort all over Cornwall is limewashed and I think this may have been to protect the mortar as well as the rock itself. Limewashing is essential over cob, and a few years ago there was a derelict building btween the Fish Quay and the Penzance road in Newlyn that well illustrated cob building.

Three's also the source of granite to consider. In many areas of moorland much came from the surface- clitter (the eroded material) on the slopes of the tors. When grazing was much freer and the bracken less then it would be very apparent just how much rock was around for the taking. Quarried and dressed granite was very much more expensive.

Back to the modelling - I like what you're doing.

• RMweb Premium

John

Thanks for the info. I scribed the frontage whilst looking the photo of the real building - zooming in to each area on the PC so see what the blocks are doing. Strange thing is you then notice that parts of the frontage have very regular blocks nicely laid in even courses whilst in other areas it's a bit more random. Looks like the section of the pub under the larger 'Par Inn' sign may have actually been rebuilt at some time.

All the best

Archived