506 replies to this topic

#501 ISW

ISW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNear the Midland Rly 'Old Road', Sheffield

Posted Yesterday, 22:18

Actually, the early Bachmann Class 46, which I have, needs this same upgrade. Although they put in the good 8-wheel drive system with central can motor, they didn't take the buffer beam off the body and put it on the bogie until a later release of the Peak family.

So I'd like to know how it's done, too!

P.S. I'm thinking that one of the NEM362 series couplers might be easier to fit?

An NEM362 Kadee (#18, #19) might be 'easier', but it's still going to need a hole in the bufferbeam (unless there's a 'trick' I'm missing - hence the posting!). 

And you need the Craftsman kit, which I believe is getting hard to obtain. I got mine from the 'spares box' at a Chesterfield model shop last year.

Fingers crossed, someone will respond with some ideas ...

Ian

#502 Dunsignalling

Dunsignalling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,767 posts
  • LocationMilepost 154 3/4

Posted Yesterday, 23:38

Actually, the early Bachmann Class 46, which I have, needs this same upgrade. Although they put in the good 8-wheel drive system with central can motor, they didn't take the buffer beam off the body and put it on the bogie until a later release of the Peak family.

So I'd like to know how it's done, too!

P.S. I'm thinking that one of the NEM362 series couplers might be easier to fit?

I did one (D193) many years ago (when they were newly released), and it was a bit of a s*d IIRC. I think I made a slot in the beam and fitted a #5 or #26 through it but it's a long time ago. I don't think I have the loco any more so can't look to verify.

If yours has tension lock couplers screwed on, the easy fix will be a #20 with the clips taken off and a hole drilled for the screw. Some filing and fiddling will be necessary to get the alignment dead right.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling, Yesterday, 23:54 .

#503 Dunsignalling

Dunsignalling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,767 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:49

Has anyone experience of fitting Kadee couplers (whisker type #156 or #158 probably) to the Craftsman DK16 bufferbeam kit for an old 00-gauge Mainline Class 45. A photo of the replacement bufferbeam (to be attached, correctly, to the bogie and not the body!).

attachicon.gif20180222_194944.jpg

As far as I can see it is going to need a 'slot' cut through the buffer to take the Kadee, with the width of the slot wide enough to push the 'whisker' end of the Kadee through the hole (and then installing the draft box 'behind' the bufferbeam).

Any help / guidance / suggestions appreciated.

Yes, I know updating / modifying an old Mainline Class 45 is 'not worth it', but I've had the model from new (~1982?) and it's been in storage for most of it's life since and it's a nice 'challenge'.

Ian

My suggestion:

Make the slot big enough to insert the draft box from the front and superglue it in place, minus the lid.

Shorten the lid so it will fit onto the portion of the box that protrudes behind the buffer beam. 

If the box fouls the pony truck, the whisker coupler doesn't occupy much of it behind the pivot so quite a bit can be trimmed off if necessary. 

Have a spare packet of #242 draft boxes to hand. You will, almost certainly, mess up a couple............

John

Edited by Dunsignalling, Yesterday, 23:52 .

#504 John ks

John ks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted Today, 00:28

My preferred Kadee combination on BR stock is the #156(long, centre set, whisker, scale head) with a 262 or 252 gearbox

My first attempts with Kadee about 50 years ago were #5s. To prevent buffer lock the #5 box had to protrude way out from the buffer beam & were very ordinary looking.(stuck out like a sore thumb)

With the #156/262 combination the gearbox can be very close to the buffer beam

The 252 box there is little or no protrusion at the read of the box so trimming the rear of the box may not be necessary to clear pony trucks(see Dunsignalling post 305)

John

#505 SteveS

SteveS

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois USA

Posted Today, 03:14

Thanks, the locos (IE 141s) have NEM pockets and most of the wagons although kit/scratch and conversion will be rebogied/underframed using Bachmann products so shoul all be NEM pocketed as well.

I've read about the height guage so this will be a must but need to sort out correct couplers to get round those second radius curves.

Are there any retailers UK that sell a big selection?

G

Hi there

I'm in the USA and have some of each. If interested send me a e-mail (in my profile). I'll be more than willing to send you some,

Steve

#506 Dunsignalling

Dunsignalling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,767 posts

Posted Today, 07:20

My preferred Kadee combination on BR stock is the #156(long, centre set, whisker, scale head) with a 262 or 252 gearbox

My first attempts with Kadee about 50 years ago were #5s. To prevent buffer lock the #5 box had to protrude way out from the buffer beam & were very ordinary looking.(stuck out like a sore thumb)

With the #156/262 combination the gearbox can be very close to the buffer beam

The 252 box there is little or no protrusion at the read of the box so trimming the rear of the box may not be necessary to clear pony trucks(see Dunsignalling post 305)

John

True, but the 252 box needs a flat platform to mount it on.

The idea behind suggesting the 242 was that its flat front allows it to be fixed directly through or behind a slotted buffer beam, then shortened to clear at the back if necessary.

Dimensionally, the 262 is better, but I've not yet identified an adhesive or solvent that will even mark the plastic it's made from, let alone stick it to anything else. Any recommendations will be gratefully accepted as, so far, double-sided tape is the best thing I've found. It therefore needs a screw or nut-and-bolt fixing (as will the 252), which won't be easy to arrange on the older Bachmann "Peak".

John

Edited by Dunsignalling, Today, 07:33 .

#507 muddys-blues

muddys-blues

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  • LocationPwllheli, Gwynedd, Gogledd Cymru / North Wales.

Posted Today, 08:13

Anybody in the UK after some OO scale Kadees ? PM me I have a good number, many new and unused, height gauges etc, I am sticking with 7mm modelling now, so I have no need for the HO / OO one’s.

Best regards
Craig